Next Villa Manager

Richard

I've a feeling that we are after an employed manager and are giving them the weekend to decide if they'd want the job. There's no reason for us to be waiting on Bruce or any other out of work manager. I'd love us to approach Dyche he'd be perfect for us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, randy_69 said:

Which is impotent no matter which combo is used due to the absence of any midfield (with the only exception being tish when fit).

In the first 6 games or so we created loads its only since RDM let the conceding goals late on get to him that our football has deteriorated. I agree the midfield is weak but we can't do anything till Jan so get the attacking intent back and try to out score the opposition. We wouldn't be looking for a new manager if RDM never bottled it. That's why we need a strong manager who is confident in the way he wants to play and sticks to it. If the new bloke can keep us in touch till Jan we can strengthen and be confident of a promotion push. The results haven't matched the overall performances sort that and we'll be fine. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dubliner said:

I genuinely can't see him leaving a Premier League club to join us. 

They won't be next season. How often can he enjoy promotion then relegation. Get villa up and he will have a truckload to spend and build something.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

In order of choice

1 - Howe

2 - Dyche

3 - Wagner

4 - Bruce

5 - McCarthy

6 - Rowett

7 - Clark

Hope we dont need 4th choice or beyond

I will be surprised if we secure a manager above 4th place.

• Like 2

On 05/10/2016 at 10:14, Gary Thomas said:

To get 74pts (which would have got us 6th in 2016) we need to win about 19 games from now (54%), draw say 7 and lose only 9 - that would put us on 74pts. I agree we have a decent squad, but for a new manager to come in a suddenly go from winning 1 in 11 to winning 19 in 35 is a massive ask. 

Was just looking at Hull's (Bruce's) results in 2015/6.  Guess what they did for their last 35 matches - won 19, drew 7 and lost 9. Freaky eh. So IF we do get Bruce lets hope he can repeat that with our squad and get us to 74pts.  BIG ask but you never know.

Edited by Gary Thomas

May have been posted but bit more info than his tweets. Link

Analysis - BBC Radio 5 live's Pat Murphy

"Steve Bruce has had exploratory talks three times in the past 48 hours with Aston Villa, hardening up the fact that he's now odds-on for the manager's job.

"Keith Wyness, Villa's chief executive, has been charged with talking to Bruce. The last conversation was a 20-minute phone call on Friday.

"Wyness told him 'the process' was continuing and that he'd get back to Bruce.

"Villa's technical director Steve Round - one of a trio charged with drawing up a shortlist for the owner, Dr Tony Xia - has yet to meet Bruce for specific discussions about Bruce's proposed backroom staff and other football issues, but Round is an admirer.

"Caretaker boss Steve Clarke remains in the frame, with the Villa recruitment team unwilling to blame him for Di Matteo's unimpressive tenure which led to his sacking."

Edited by Gary Thomas

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

In the first 6 games or so we created loads its only since RDM let the conceding goals late on get to him that our football has deteriorated. I agree the midfield is weak but we can't do anything till Jan so get the attacking intent back and try to out score the opposition. We wouldn't be looking for a new manager if RDM never bottled it. That's why we need a strong manager who is confident in the way he wants to play and sticks to it. If the new bloke can keep us in touch till Jan we can strengthen and be confident of a promotion push. The results haven't matched the overall performances sort that and we'll be fine. 

Exactly around the time Jedniak was signed and started playing. <_<

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Exactly around the time Jedniak was signed and started playing. <_<

Be careful if you say we actually played our best football with Westood and Tish you'll be lynched!!! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

I don't get people obsession with Sean Dyche at all. What's he done to be held in such high esteem?

2 promotions to the Premier League in the last 3 seasons with an unfancied side - the latest one being as champions.  Currently 14th having played the Champions, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal in their first 7 games. 

As far as starting your managerial career goes...

• Like 2

re abdomlahor Well he's done a very good job with Burnley. Promoted twice, clearly gets them very well drilled and organised. He's doing well. How far there is a ceiling on him is yet to be known. It may also be that Burnley and he are an excellent fit together, that may not work so well elsewhere. However, he'd certainly be a good candidate to look at from our perspective, but I don't see why he would drop down a division. He's being paid well enough I'm sure, and his reputation is increasing the longer he stays there. 

Howe is a quite ridiculous shout, and I can only presume stems from a cry to the past "but we've been european champions before!" and "bournemouth used to play in crappy leagues recently and are a small club". Which is completely irrelevant. Again, he's done so well there, some people want him to be considered as an option for England. Why on earth would he join us at this particular juncture?  He will get offers from bigger clubs than us when it's time for him to move on ( replacing Wenger potentially for example ) etc. So until we're back in that division, both of those options are absurd. Fair enough to ask the question of them and their clubs, but don't be surprised if the response is laughter. 

Wagner strikes me as someone who doesn't leave clubs too early, and he knows that staying on and keeping Huddersfield in that area by the season's end could see him 1) get promoted anyway or 2) have a broader spread of offers post-season.  Him joining us would be a gamble, and people are not so short termist that they can just be bought, as some seem to think. It's not always about the money. All 3 of these candidates could very well have more lucrative offers in the not too distant future. 

For me, on the list Bruce is most likely and that's ok, I'd prefer him infinitely so to Rowett, Clarke or McCarthy ( Ipswich fans want him gone and talk about a man with a low ceiling! ) 

There may be other candidates, Guidolin or others based abroad ( I have no idea, I don't follow other leagues ) too. But domestically, Bruce is the safest pair of hands. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Be careful if you say we actually played our best football with Westood and Tish you'll be lynched!!! 

It depends what you mean by ,our " best football" ......it can mean many things to many people.

"best football" to me means performance and result.....and that includes the defensive qualities of the game as well as the offensive side.

IMV our performances have had good moments during the season, but to say Carte Blanche they have been good is not accurate in my view.

Allowing the opposition back in to the game in a "Lilly livered" fashion is not my idea of a good performance.

Edited by TRO

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

2 promotions to the Premier League in the last 3 seasons with an unfancied side - the latest one being as champions.  Currently 14th having played the Champions, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal in their first 7 games. 

As far as starting your managerial career goes...

Limited spending as well, last season lost possibly his 2 best players (Ings, Trippier) and still went up as champions

Led Watford to their highest position in years.

Has different styles of play and is adaptable

decent write up about him here

Dyche

He is a modern coach with an old-school approach, and if you try to put a label on him, it will not stick. In many ways he is a throwback to a time when people like him – straight-talking, blunt, unfiltered – dominated English dugouts: men who managed clubs rather than coached teams.
Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 2