Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

Good striker at this level. I agree I do wish he worked harder but he maybe carrying something or needing to get back up to pace? Its quite unlike him. Maybe my memory is wrong but I recall last season he was very sharp. I would like to see him play in a two upfront at some point. But I dont think the playoffs is the time to be making big formation changes.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

In January when it looked like Tammy might be leaving and everyone thought we were doomed I said I had a feeling that people were forgetting how good Kodjia was for us. 

I’m not saying he would have Ben as good as Tammy, but I bet if we’d lost Tammy in January then Kodjia would have surprised a few with how many goals he got. 

And totally echo echo what you say about lack of support from the fans. It’s been talked about in other threads. 

It's not just goals Stevo and it's not a "lack of support" either, it's people calling it as they see it.

For me, he was really really lazy against Leeds, he failed to hold the ball up or even put in a genuine challenge for 90% of the balls played up to him.

And yet people came on afterwards saying how well he'd played - so it's not a "lack of support" (insinuating that there's an agenda), it's a difference of opinion.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's not just goals Stevo and it's not a "lack of support" either, it's people calling it as they see it.

For me, he was really really lazy against Leeds, he failed to hold the ball up or even put in a genuine challenge for 90% of the balls played up to him.

And yet people came on afterwards saying how well he'd played - so it's not a "lack of support" (insinuating that there's an agenda), it's a difference of opinion.

I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve any criticism. 

My point was a few weeks ago people were writing him off as if he’d never play for us again and was total rubbish because he’s had a bad few games. 

Whereas some other players never seem To get written off despite never having performed anywhere near the level Kodjia has in the past. 

I believe it's Kodjia's choice to not put it in on the pitch. Nothing injury related.

You can pinpoint it sometimes; he won't get a foul he probably deserves and the shoulders go, head down and he spends 10 mins or the rest of the match until he's taken off walking around.

I've watched a 21 year old on loan from another club sprinting round next to him trying to gee him up to press with him. If Kodj had Tammy's attitude on the pitch he'd be three times the player. Hope the penny drops one day and he goes for 90 mins every week. In fact, I hope it drops this week and he fires us to the Premier League!

• Like 1

I’ve said a few times but I just don’t think he has that yard of pace anymore. He is still ok for this level and has contributed to goals so fair play to him. But I think he should be sold regardless of what league we are in next season. 

• Like 1

He is not consistent enough at scoring.

Consistency is a commodity that determines how good you are.....If you are not consistent, its because you are not that good.

Edited by TRO

Is not just his consistency,  his work rate is really low, he is lazy and won't run back for the ball. Kodjia played good against Norwich, but you could still see where he goes wrong in his game by a mile because he does it every time he plays now. He scored the Goal at Norwich but that won't stop your critics when your being compared to your best striker who completely destroys you on everything else. 

That's just it isn't it, kodjia has shown how bad he's become which is a shame, yet Tammy comes in and raises the roof on what we really need for a striker. Even Davis will attempt to do what Tammy does, you can see it in his game that it's all there, hopefully it just all needs refining and we could have a player near Tammys quality or somewhere towards Tammys talent. As it stands I would rather give Davis games over kodjia and build him up because I can't see kodjia changing his game up and being more like the kodjia we knew.

13 hours ago, TRO said:

Consistency is a commodity that determines how good you are.....If you are not consistent, its because you are not that good.

How can he be consistent if he doesn't get regular game time? 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He's been pretty consistent in the games he has started... 

15 hours ago, TRO said:

3 goals in his last four starts is pretty consistent 

Overall I wouldn’t say goals are his problem and if that’s all you need from your striker he’s probably good enough. Problem for me is we play a high press so we need our striker to lead this. Tammy does it superbly, Kodija and Davis not so much. 

Edit: Smith is working with the players he has inherited. I doubt Kodija would be one that he would go out sign if he had the chance. I also think he will be allowed to leave in the summer.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve any criticism. 

My point was a few weeks ago people were writing him off as if he’d never play for us again and was total rubbish because he’s had a bad few games. 

Whereas some other players never seem To get written off despite never having performed anywhere near the level Kodjia has in the past. 

... Like Olive Branch McCormack and Scot Hogan

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Overall I wouldn’t say goals are his problem and if that’s all you need from your striker he’s probably good enough. Problem for me is we play a high press so we need our striker to lead this. Tammy does it superbly, Kodija and Davis not so much. 

I have always rated Kodja and we know there is a good striker in there.

Maybe he is more suited to a different style of attacking play then what we are currently seeing.. Suits Tammy.. but not Jimmy. But he is still putting the effort in.

52 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I have always rated Kodja and we know there is a good striker in there.

Maybe he is more suited to a different style of attacking play then what we are currently seeing.. Suits Tammy.. but not Jimmy. But he is still putting the effort in.

He just doesn’t have the legs for it in my opinion. 

One thing that is confusing me is - he has never chased the ball down in his career - why is it pissing people off now? He's just not that type of striker. He has never been that type of work-horse striker. 

He has that 'X-Factor' about him where he can create a goal all by himself, something that Davis has shown tiny glimpses of but Tammy doesn't show enough of either. 

2 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

One thing that is confusing me is - he has never chased the ball down in his career - why is it pissing people off now? He's just not that type of striker. He has never been that type of work-horse striker. 

He has that 'X-Factor' about him where he can create a goal all by himself, something that Davis has shown tiny glimpses of but Tammy doesn't show enough of either. 

Not sure I'm pissed off about it but the pressing and chasing down the ball is a vital part of the way we are trying to play now under Smith.

Unless everyone is on board with pressing as a team then it all falls apart and is pointless and easy to bypass. 

7 hours ago, lexicon said:

What comes first the chicken or the egg?

Even if you don't score, when you get a chance, you need to give the impression you are close.

He has had chances....but the guy keeping him out has scored 25 goals.....He has to have a plan of how to shift him.

Why did he bottle taking a pen?

That aside, we are playing without a right winger at the moment because Green and Adomah are truly awful, he must play at Wembley. 

Â