Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

19 hours ago, Junxs said:

Are we sure he bottled it? Penalty lists are usually decided before hand. Maybe he just wasnt on the list, or was the exchange if Tammy was not to be on the pitch. 

Well smith said they had been working on penalties since qualifying for the play offs  - Jedi was brought on just to take a penalty - I reckon smith smith knew his takers beforehand.

• Like 1

I think we have to play kodjia. Offensively he might just be the most skillful player in the league and we desperately need a threat down the right or it will be so congested in the centre. Plus he would be a good option on the end of el ghazis crosses.

Defensively he is a problem but if we do what Liverpool do and have Tammy track back instead of kodjia it will be fine. Plus he is probably our best striker to hoof it up to and keep possession of the ball. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I think we have to play kodjia. Offensively he might just be the most skillful player in the league and we desperately need a threat down the right or it will be so congested in the centre. Plus he would be a good option on the end of el ghazis crosses.

Defensively he is a problem but if we do what Liverpool do and have Tammy track back instead of kodjia it will be fine. Plus he is probably our best striker to hoof it up to and keep possession of the ball

Without a doubt that is Davis.

The rest of your post I agree with.

• Like 2

play jimmy danger! I say we go full on jugular-slicing mode offensively. I want a convincing win that neutrals will find boring after 30-40min. sorry Adomah, but I think he should be the "super-sub" this time around. 

Bottled taking a pen? This forum can be utterly hilarious. This team practices penalties and obviously based on that Smith will have his idealised top 5 takers mapped out well in advance, hence Jedinak came on the football pitch with the sole purpose of taking one. Kodjia is obviously not deemed a top 5 penalty taker based on the managements assessment, simple as that.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

I suppose people are a just bit surprised he wasn’t one of the first five. 

I must admit he’d be in my mind for taking one. After all he was the one who stepped up after Tammy missed against Rotherham. As well as Tammy we had Grealish, Hourihane and Jedinak all on the pitch when that penalty was given, yet Jimmy fancied it then.

Just a little curious I guess. But then Grealish was on the pitch when Whelan stepped up back in October, so who knows. If we had lost the shootout it would be bugging me a hell of a lot more, but we didn’t so it doesn’t.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

26 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bottled taking a pen? This forum can be utterly hilarious. This team practices penalties and obviously based on that Smith will have his idealised top 5 takers mapped out well in advance, hence Jedinak came on the football pitch with the sole purpose of taking one. Kodjia is obviously not deemed a top 5 penalty taker based on the managements assessment, simple as that.

I think it can be a bit of both, yes they practice and the manager has an idea of who he wants from that but he'll be led by players on the night, who feels confident, who's cramping up etc. I don't think Kodjia bottled it, others may have been more forceful in wanting to take one, and he may of felt less confident as he'd not been on the pitch for long and not had a whole lot of the ball.

Either way, we want our best and most confident takers taking the first 5, he wasn't one of them that's fair enough for me.

Kodjia took a penalty and scored after Tammy screwed his a few games ago. He clearly has it in him.

I think he would step up. I think he offers more threat than Green or Adomah even out wide, the question is will he contribute to the team ethic as others have seemed to have bought into? Green and Adomah are not necessarily in the side to score goals, but moreover to supply service to Tammy and play their part stretching the opposition. It could work but i’d say more in a 4-3-3 set up, that’s totally different to how we got to the play off final. So there in lies the risk.

Edited by thunderball

On 15/05/2019 at 19:01, Lord Willard said:

You never know, Johnstone might of had the one up on Kodija when they used to practice penalties. 

This makes sense. Which Villa penalty taker has Johnstone spent the most time facing in training? Almost certainly it's Kodjia. Taking a one-off penalty against a keeper is very different from taking several penalties. Remember Cristiano Ronaldo scored a penalty in open play for Man U v Chelsea in CL final, and then missed in the shoot out? Think that's quite a common occurrence in World Cups as well.

With Tammy taking the 5th, maybe Deano just wanted to play it extra safe by having Kodj as the 6th in case it went to sudden death, there was also McGinn left in the tank.

Truth is we were blessed with a massive selection pool. I include Adomah in that as well as he has taken plenty of penalties for us in the last 3 years to much success. 

I think Taylor was probably the only outfield player left on the pitch who I'd have no confidence in taking one. Mings, Elmo and Tuanzebe are all comfortable on the ball with good technique. Whereas it was the complete opposite for WBA in that they had nothing but cloggers left on the pitch by the time the pens came around

I think him coming on as a sub in that game in the 100 th minute tells you everything.

His recent form has been very good and we were desperate for a goal.

Something has happened for Smith not to trust Kodjia.I personally can’t understand it ,he is extremely gifted but maybe doesn’t do tracking back that Smith requires.

19 hours ago, Junxs said:

I think Taylor was probably the only outfield player left on the pitch who I'd have no confidence in taking one. Mings, Elmo and Tuanzebe are all comfortable on the ball with good technique. Whereas it was the complete opposite for WBA in that they had nothing but cloggers left on the pitch by the time the pens came around

Personally wouldn’t trust Axel either, never seen him a strike a ball. 

• 2 weeks later...
Â