Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

should've buried that one last week against Leeds but he knew it. Should've passed most of the time and all that.

But aside from his weaknesses he's up there with Jack and ElGhazi in terms of running with the ball. Easily one of our most talented individuals. He's had a genuinely horrible time with injuries here. I'm well glad he's here.

Guest av1

I would be worried if we had to go with Kodjia at CF, but given how poor i think Adomah and Green are he makes my preferred front 3.

El Ghazi    Tammy      Kodjia

40 minutes ago, av1 said:

I would be worried if we had to go with Kodjia at CF, but given how poor i think Adomah and Green are he makes my preferred front 3.

El Ghazi    Tammy      Kodjia

This. Though defensively I have big reservations. He's cost us goals before from being lazy in that position

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally I think he gets over criticised for us. He was superb for this first season with us and since then has either mostly  been injured or played out wide.  He has a lot of talent but is not that consistent- if he was so, he would not  be playing in the championship. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

19 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Personally I think he gets over criticised for us. He was superb for this first season with us and since then has either mostly  been injured or played out wide.  He has a lot of talent but is not that consistent- if he was so, he would not  be playing in the championship. 

They All usually go out wide, when they are not doing it in the middle.😀

I loved his run through the middle of Norwich, nothing came in the end though. His Goal was sweet but that was it from him really. To often does he look like he's about to do a run, starts to jog then stops. Was stood still way to much today.

I think when he went down in the penalty area that completely changed his game for him. His attitude went from very positive to complaining and because the complaint didn't go his way he decided he couldn't be bothered about the game wgich was a damn shame. I think that is it with kodjia he has turned into a player who will try but then theres a spoilt child that lurks inside him and as soon as that guy comes out then we csn count him out of the game full stop.

I do hope we sell him come this summer and  ring someone in that is more like Tammy if we're still in the championship.

Edited by Dave-R

Still good for a goal, still a threat in the box but a shadow of the player he was pre-injury. He just doesn't have that edge and sharpness anymore. I think he is gone in the summer and I will wish him well.

Personally I'd start him on Saturday.

Gives us more goal threat in the front three. Albert wasn''t too bad today but barely scored this season. Green got into some good positions but seems to lack a bit of belief that he can beat a full back.

Just stick McGinn on the right bit of midfield to make sure AEM has some company when the opposition has the ball...

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Personally I'd start him on Saturday.

Gives us more goal threat in the front three. Albert wasn''t too bad today but barely scored this season. Green got into some good positions but seems to lack a bit of belief that he can beat a full back.

Just stick McGinn on the right bit of midfield to make sure AEM has some company when the opposition has the ball...

I'd love it, that should be what happens.

But we shouldn't be sacrificing McGinn's effect in the hope that Kodj decides to turn up. He's shown too many times he'll down tools for no reason either from the off or half way through a match. If he doesn't fancy it he's useless.

I actually don't think it'd be the worst thing to play Tammy wide and Kodj through the middle. Tammy puts it in for 90 mins every game, but it is a bit late to start experimenting.

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I'd say he needs a little more appreciation from the fans.

He gets appreciated when he tries. I think he needs to work harder and he can be our main striker, even if we go up.

Not hard to figure out but he's had such trouble.

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He gets appreciated when he tries. I think he needs to work harder and he can be our main striker, even if we go up.

Not hard to figure out but he's had such trouble.

I just don't think he has the mobility for it anymore after a horrid 18 months. His legs can't get across quick enough and he has never been the most switched on off the ball.

Even when he was "lazy" before he would still be lightning on it,picking up the ball, running at people, dragging defenders with him. 

He can't do it anymore.

• Like 2

He was so frustrating today. As exciting as he is he really lacks any sort of footballing intelligence at times!

PS those saying he should be starting on the wing. Please no, he's never a winger.

• Like 2

On 05/05/2019 at 23:56, Tom13 said:

He was so frustrating today. As exciting as he is he really lacks any sort of footballing intelligence at times!

PS those saying he should be starting on the wing. Please no, he's never a winger.

Yeah. As somebody who wanted to see this for a long time, he isn't a winger. No way. Bruce tried it, Smith tried it and it has never worked out. He can certainly do a job as a wide forward, but we have to appreciate they are two very different roles and we ask for more from our wingers. It's up front or nothing for me, and that means it's Tammy. As much as I love me some Kodj, who starts up front in the playoffs shouldn't even be in question. 

But... we are very lucky to have a player with his tools riding the bench for us. If West Brom, or whoever, start chasing the game and we spot an opportunity to finish them off, get Kodjia on and running at them. If you get good Kodjia, well, they will have absolute fits. 

• Like 3

All I can add is that I wouldn’t want to see Kodjia on the opposition team sheet. He’s been finding some form in the last few weeks and it’s no surprise he’s doing that as a CF. It was Kodjia coming on and Villa going two up top that swung the game at Rotherham, he’s a very decent CF in the championship. I’d rather have the option of Kodjia to either play alongside Tammy or replace him, than not. A lot of people are talking up Gayle & Rodriguez for WBA, and rightly so, but surely they can’t be thinking we’re too far adrift in the forwards area with Abraham & Kodjia?! I’m delighted to have Kodjia on our side and finding a bit of form going into the playoffs.

• Like 3

I don't think it's a massive reach to say if Kodjia plays 37 games, the majority under Smith this season he scores 20+ goals. Tammy offers so much more with his all round play vs the wildcard in Kodj, plus he's more consistent. His longest goal drought this is 3 (three!) games. So when it comes to it, Tammy starts every time. BUT, to have a backup striker of his relative quality is a luxury no other team has. Albion being the only possibly exception, though they play two up top. 

Kodjia is much maligned for various reasons, but his ability to score goals and his usefulness to the squad should definitely not be in question by this stage. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't think it's a massive reach to say if Kodjia plays 37 games, the majority under Smith this season he scores 20+ goals. Tammy offers so much more with his all round play vs the wildcard in Kodj, plus he's more consistent. His longest goal drought this is 3 (three!) games. So when it comes to it, Tammy starts every time. BUT, to have a backup striker of his relative quality is a luxury no other team has. Albion being the only possibly exception, though they play two up top. 

Kodjia is much maligned for various reasons, but his ability to score goals and his usefulness to the squad should definitely not be in question by this stage. 

We're a dream to play for if you're a striker or winger. You get so many opportunities to beat your man/make a chance/score a goal.

• Like 1

Â