Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

13 hours ago, Junxs said:

Kodjia is without doubt the most skillful player at club, that run in the 2nd half past 3 players was sublime. I'm just delighted we seem to have the best version of him back.

It also saddens me when our own fans don't appreciate him, seen it mentioned by a few people they'd rather have Davis starting - well that would have been 0-0 yesterday then.

Or maybe Davis' ability to bring others into the game would have seen it be 3-0. It's all ifs and buts, but I'd trust Davis to put in a solid performance more than I'd trust Kodjia. 

Though, I'm happy that Kodjia looks like he's getting his mojo back again.

On 22/04/2019 at 20:12, Delphinho123 said:

The people in that stand aren’t paid 30k a week either.

It was a poor effort. 

Completely irrelevant. He's a footballer, in that moment his touch let him down, the amount of money he is being paid had no bearing on the situation. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If there's one player I could choose the score the winner at Wembley it would be Jimmy. 

Really? I'd argue about 5 others are more likely even if Kodjia started. Anyway, lets hope it works out. 

I think the most frustrating thing about Kodjia is his need for the spectacular over simple. A few times in the past few games he's had a simple header and he'd try something acrobatic to score that wonder goal. I guess the eccentricity is always going to be part of his game though.

He's a decent player though for sure.

8 hours ago, deeps said:

Kodjia is a good player. End of. Get behind him. 

I totally agree and right now we need him firing on all cylinders for us - starts ahead of Davis everytime for me.

lets get behind him I say 

• Like 2

He has that 'X-Factor'. Can do something out of nothing. It's not something you can teach. 

Another thing - Heard he played through the pain barrier for us on Monday - the rib injury he had he had to take pain killing injections a few days ago, but was fit enough to play. Hope we see more of King Kodj. 

He'll probably bang in the goal that takes us up!

4 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

I think the most frustrating thing about Kodjia is his need for the spectacular over simple. A few times in the past few games he's had a simple header and he'd try something acrobatic to score that wonder goal. I guess the eccentricity is always going to be part of his game though.

He's a decent player though for sure.

I think there's an element of truth in this but it is a bit exaggerated. He does like to try the spectacular quite a lot but when he was at his best this sometimes paid off (see Fulham at home in his first season). 

However, I don't think he's very often turned down simple headers to try the spectacular - a lot of the time he simply wouldn't be able to generate the power with a header so has gone for an acrobatic effort.

I also think that you have to accept that this is the kind of player he is. He's at his best when he's playing off the cuff rather than being told to play in a strict system. In that regard he's the polar opposite of Davis who will offer the typical big man up front performance but rarely look like scoring. 

He's not in his best form at the moment but to be fair he's coming back from a serious injury and isn't really getting the game time to play himself back to full fitness. He's still one of our more dangerous players and looks more likely to score than any of our other options other than Tammy.

I'd also suggest that had Kodjia been fully fit all season and starting in this squad he'd have hit over 20 goals already.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's fair enough. I think he just strolls around with zero effort and 9 times out of 10 he makes the wrong choice or runs like a headless chicken. Anyway, he scored again, so good on him. 

Without going down the 'Kodjia is lazy' rabbit hole again, I will add that it was said Kodjia would be binned off by Smith at the first opportunity. Instead he has been an integral part of his squad. So if his work rate is good enough for the gaffer, it's good enough for me. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Without going down the 'Kodjia is lazy' rabbit hole again, I will add that it was said Kodjia would be binned off by Smith at the first opportunity. Instead he has been an integral part of his squad. So if his work rate is good enough for the gaffer, it's good enough for me. 

I agree.

He doesn't have a pressing style in his game like Tammy, he likes to play the "aloof" role and spin off an opponent, but can be effective doing that....The guy has talent, no doubt.

He can be deceivingly elusive....we just have to play to his strengths.

I do prefer Tammy, because I think pressing is important and creates errors in an opponent.....but they are different "animals"......I still think they could play together in a 4-4-2....but we would possibly lose the DM or a winger....and after 10 wins, i am not going to try to advise the manager.

Edited by TRO

56 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Lazy yesterday, his closing down is a token effort at best.

Abraham is a cut above in almost all departments for me.

I didn't think so, thought he worked admirably, chose when to close down and when not to sensibly. By and large. Needed the energy for breaks etc. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dale said:

I didn't think so, thought he worked admirably, chose when to close down and when not to sensibly. By and large. Needed the energy for breaks etc. 

We watched a different game then, as did all the people around me as everyone at the game was losing patience with him yesterday.

Â