Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Smith just said in his post match interview that his display has got him considering tweaking systems to 2 up top to include him.

Might just be the tonic.

I didn’t see last night , where did Jack play with 2 up? Was it a standard 442? 

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I didn’t see last night , where did Jack play with 2 up? Was it a standard 442? 

If you haven't heard mings got sent off. 

It was 4 3 2. 

Elmo and Taylor played like wing backs and Jack Conor and McGinn played as 3 CM.

We looked really good with two strikers. Kodija needed two men on him at all times and it still took a 3rd to try and stop him at times

• Like 1

Just now, Lord Willard said:

If you haven't heard mings got sent off. 

It was 4 3 2. 

Elmo and Taylor played like wing backs and Jack Conor and McGinn played as 3 CM.

We looked really good with two strikers. Kodija needed two men on him at all times and it still took a 3rd to try and stop him at times

Yes sorry I did know mings had gone. Be interesting how we’ll set up against Bristol 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I'd honestly do something similar to last night and put Abraham out on the wing and Kodjia up front. I think Tammy's future in football may well be as a wide forward rather than a striker tbh. 

How and why would you do this?? He has scored more than twenty goals this year. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

How and why would you do this?? He has scored more than twenty goals this year. 

He's fast, good at dribbling and can pass. In terms of shooting, he's not a natural IMO - his positioning is good, which is why he gets into the right places but he lacks composure and that lets his finishing down, which we've seen many times when he misses relative sitters. I think he'd score plenty making runs to the back post and offering an additional threat in the box, while also getting the best out of his creative side. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He's fast, good at dribbling and can pass. In terms of shooting, he's not a natural IMO - his positioning is good, which is why he gets into the right places but he lacks composure and that lets his finishing down, which we've seen many times when he misses relative sitters. I think he'd score plenty making runs to the back post and offering an additional threat in the box, while also getting the best out of his creative side. 

I think that would be a massive mistake. Your taking your leading goal scoring threat and putting a very up and down temprement striker in his place. 

I see him as a striker for long term. Yes he misses chances but he scores a lot too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I'd honestly do something similar to last night and put Abraham out on the wing and Kodjia up front. I think Tammy's future in football may well be as a wide forward rather than a striker tbh. 

Not the worst idea I've ever heard for the Bristol game.

I thought he was finished after his ankle injury but he showed last night there's still life in him if he can put the effort in. However he needs to sustain that and not return to his old self. 

Kodjia's got so much talent, it's a shame the injury has seen him go backwards for us but last night he looked like he did in his first season with us. He rolls defenders out of position so well. Completely changed the game for us. 

He'll be in contention to start on Saturday, but it's tricky to know how to set up. I'm not a fan of 4-4-2 and neither's Smith, but Kodj looks much better as a central forward than on the left or right. And I don't think he'd want to drop our top scorer, despite his iffy form recently. 

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

I'm in and out with this idea.

Even a below par Tammy last night brought the ball down well on his chest quite a few times.

Shame we don't have the centre halves to go with a 352 at the moment. That really suits our personnel with not much a full back as well.

13 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Smith just said in his post match interview that his display has got him considering tweaking systems to 2 up top to include him.

Might just be the tonic.

I was thinking the same. I've always been a fan of having wide players but our wide players are the weak links IMO

I'd be interested to see a diamond midfield with our 4 in form cm and 2 up top. 

We looked excellent with 2 up top last night.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm in and out with this idea.

Even a below par Tammy last night brought the ball down well on his chest quite a few times.

Shame we don't have the centre halves to go with a 352 at the moment. That really suits our personnel with not much a full back as well.

I'm not knocking Tammy, just thinking about options really. 

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I was thinking the same. I've always been a fan of having wide players but our wide players are the weak links IMO

I'd be interested to see a diamond midfield with our 4 in form cm and 2 up top. 

We looked excellent with 2 up top last night.

Whelan

McGinn   Grealish

Hourihane

? Would be brave to go without wingers but I’d like to see it.

6 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Whelan

McGinn   Grealish

Hourihane

? Would be brave to go without wingers but I’d like to see it.

I think it would be El Ghazi in the advanced role, if we were to try it.

Edit - though Hourihane did have his best game in a while in that more forward role. Hmmm.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

King Kodj was blowing towards the end of that second half, I personally wouldn't start him and would use him as a weapon off the bench. 

Against tiring defenders his agility and power on the ball is deadly...he completely annihilated that left side of their defence. 

Edited by carewjust4u

That penalty was absolutely huge. His composure to put it in the top corner especially after Tammy missed was incredible. Reminded me of Benteke's penalty in stoppage time against West Brom in 2015 under Sherwood or one against West Ham in 2013 (?). Pivotal strikes.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Actually wouldn't mind seeing him start ahead of Albert/green on Saturday 

Tammy has been left on his own for too long IMO....Its a huge responsibility for still a young player, I think its taking its toll.

Kodj produced the best performance for some time now, and looked very dangerous....that melancholy look had gone and replaced with the " Eye of the Tiger"....His ball retention was greeted with tenacity and ownership....He looked the player again.

I would play them both on Saturday and 1 winger oscillating, Like Tony Morely used to do.

Edited by TRO

Â