Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 16:23, av1 said:

But you are picking isolated instances, I'm talking about his overall contribution and effect on the team. 

What is madness is the idea that we lose 13 goals without him. Its utterly ridiculous because it implies that whoever we played in his place would contribute nothing. No goals, no assist, nothing. 

You obviously missed January and start of February .. how did we do without him? Oh yeah we practically lost every game and struggled to register a shot on target most of those games.

Yeah we'd have been just fine without him! But in league 1

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's hilarious. 

Although made slightly less hilarious by being a blatant rip off of the LA galaxy video from the other day. 

Which was also a rip off of 1000000 other memes of this song. :D

It's 'in' at the moment. As much as I cringe at Villa getting involved with memes. it's a clear ploy to exploit what's in and 'trendy' at the moment, especially on the net.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Junxs said:

You obviously missed January and start of February .. how did we do without him? Oh yeah we practically lost every game and struggled to register a shot on target most of those games.

Yeah we'd have been just fine without him! But in league 1

And you have obviously missed the fact that we also lost Jedinak and had a complete midfield overhaul in January. Blaming Jan/feb solely on the loss if Kodjia is short sighted to say the least. 

I have also acknowledged how important someone like kodjia was to a team completely devoid of any creative spark. But now we do have players that can create, and moving forward his strengths aren't as important as they once were, and his weaknesses will cause problems.

Not going to be easy to keep him next season, but he genuinely seems like he loves playing for the club. Maybe he was this way at his previous club too? 

We're pretty lucky to have him in our current state imo. 

Edited by PieFacE

2 hours ago, av1 said:

And you have obviously missed the fact that we also lost Jedinak and had a complete midfield overhaul in January. Blaming Jan/feb solely on the loss if Kodjia is short sighted to say the least. 

I have also acknowledged how important someone like kodjia was to a team completely devoid of any creative spark. But now we do have players that can create, and moving forward his strengths aren't as important as they once were, and his weaknesses will cause problems.

Oh yeah, we had Westwoods creative spark before that!

No matter how you try to dress it up, we have struggled to create chances all season. Having a lethal striker who has somehow managed 15 goals playing in this team is a blessing. That's not aimed at you entirely as you have also acknowledged Kodjias importance, but the number of people getting on his back is so frustrating to read here. Without him we would have really struggled this year and possibly gone down again. Its about time he got some real credit.

You hear people saying how Bents goals kept us up the season we bought him, I don't think this situation is any different.. I really do dread to think where we'd be without Kodjia this season.

Edited by Junxs
added some more
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Oh yeah, we had Westwoods creative spark before that!

I've got no idea what you are talking about. I addressed that in the second paragraph. Here. 

2 hours ago, av1 said:

4 minutes ago, Junxs said:

No matter how you try to dress it up, we have struggled to create chances all season. Having a lethal striker who has somehow managed 15 goals playing in this team is a blessing.

Mate I've got no problem at all debating with someone with an opposing opinion, its what forums are for. But you are either not reading my posts or you are completely ignoring them. 

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Not going to be easy to keep him next season

I think unless a huge offer from prem (which I don't think it will) comes in, then I don't see a problem keeping him. Our Tony isn't short of a few bob and if Bruce says he wants to keep, we keep. Similar to Ayew last summer. Tony said from day one he wasn't going anywhere and lo and behold he didn't 

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think unless a huge offer from prem (which I don't think it will) comes in, then I don't see a problem keeping him. Our Tony isn't short of a few bob and if Bruce says he wants to keep, we keep. Similar to Ayew last summer. Tony said from day one he wasn't going anywhere and lo and behold he didn't 

I saw an article last week saying we actually beat Prem teams to get him in the first place. Though not sure how true it is.

On 3/23/2017 at 23:26, PaulC said:

Best three strikers ever Gray, Little and Shaw imo but of course its since the 90s so they cant be included. Shaw won the best your young player in Europe award in 1982 so that shows his pedigree.

The amazing thing for me about Gary, was he rarely got caught in possession.

very deceiving player, very intelligent player......not great pace but didn't need it.

The other 2 were just brilliant too.

Henry type goal.

lots of strikers play in different ways and go about their goalscoring in different ways.

I think Kodjia is a real talent and requires us to play a certain way to capitalise.

If that's the case so be it.

No goal scorer is perfect....blimey, Jimmy Greaves had his detractors.

This boy, is a real asset IMO......not only was it a brilliant strike, his ability to beat his man on the run, is no mean feat.

love him.

ps he has the poise and body balance of a thoroughbred.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, TRO said:

The amazing thing for me about Gary, was he rarely got caught in possession.

very deceiving player, very intelligent player......not great pace but didn't need it.

The other 2 were just brilliant too.

Can't believe how he has let himself go! I would include Yorke in that group and Withe too. Not the most gifted of footballers but the telepathy between him and Shaw. that was the best strike partnership we have ever had. Probably one of the best strike partnerships ever in English football.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2017 at 18:13, av1 said:

I think those 'weaknesses' have been disproportionately highlighted because we've not created enough, either for him or for anyone else. People have looked to him to be both the scorer and the creator, I think that's a tad unfair myself.

It can't be a coincidence that as he is playing with better players, he appears less selfish whilst also keeping up his goalscoring rate? I say give the team time to click as a unit before judging him on his teamwork. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

I like him, want him to stay and hope we do the necessary in that regard come the summer. 

All that said, I could see a life after the Kodj in a way I couldn't after Benteke. 

Benteke really was the Holy Trinity for us; could hold the ball up as the focal point in attack, score and create. 

I could see us covering one of those deficits after he left: It was always going to be a struggle to replace all three (in the end we replaced none). 

Kodjia is different. He gives us that bit of unpredictability and some much needed excitement. But he is a lone wolf and will have those head down five a side moments. 

Traditionally Bruce has favoured the big targetman, so there is a better than average chance he'll go that route again and get a big unit to play off Hogan. 

I prefer my football a bit less predictable, so hope we stick with Kodjia. If he doesn't know what he's going to do next, as often seems to be the case, the opposition have no chance. 

Edited by HolteExile

Â