Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

15 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Is it harder to be a top striker in this day and age then back in the 80's? 

It's probably harder to make a name for yourself when nearly everybody is dead set in 1 up top compared to the days of partnerships and complimenting your fellow striker. 

The pace of the game and general fitness of the average player seems to be much higher these days. It's not to say past players couldn't play at the same sort of pace and intensity but a modern day team would destroy say, 90's teams in the main in my view just put side by side. 

Natural ability is just there, regardless of era but the standard of the average opposition player would have modern day footballers ahead in my view but then at the same time, it's all relative. If past top players had the luxury of modern day training facilities, things would be different. 

With 1 up front though being the preferred formation these days, strikers have to fight much more to just get time on the pitch. This is the era of AM's. 

There are strikers that rely heavily on service.....then there are others that survive, with minimal service.

Jose made a specific reference to this point, when he was in the business of replacing Drogba.

The ones that can score with minimal service, Suarez,Ronaldo, Drogba, Henry, etc are amongst the best, but they are worth their weight in Gold.

Jose made reference to their scarcity and subsequent value in his interview.

Kodjia is not commensurate with their quality in terms of consistency ,but he is of their type in the sense of what has been described.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

This guy.

My biggest fear for next season is that he isn't here. If he is here and stays fit we will go up IMO.

Yes at 27 he might not want to wait another year to play in the Premier League.

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I still don't see any Premier League teams willing to meet what would surely be an asking price of over £20m. 

People are buying second choice left backs for £14mil in the Prem at the moment. If we ask for £25mil for this guy they'll be more than a couple of teams sitting up and taking notice. 

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I still don't see any Premier League teams willing to meet what would surely be an asking price of over £20m. 

Had he been a year or 2 younger I think Everton might have gone for him when Lukaku leaves.

Now?

West Ham maybe?

3 minutes ago, skarroki said:

People are buying second choice left backs for £14mil in the Prem at the moment. If we ask for £25mil for this guy they'll be more than a couple of teams sitting up and taking notice. 

Even factoring in the money in the game right now, a Premier League club paying £25m for a Championship forward is utterly unprecedented and not at all logical, it just won't happen. A bid of that magnitude from a Chinese club on the other hand is a lot more likely. The only way he will go to a premier league club is if he kicks up such a stink about it that we sell him for a little bit more than what we paid. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

A player that makes things happen and scores goals regularly I believe they will.

He's  maybe a 15 goal a season player in the right team in the prem. mid table teams would certainly be interested in him but I just don't see him above that. He's a good player mind and his work rate is brilliant.

1 minute ago, NottingVilla said:

£20 million is peanuts for a Premier League team these days I could easily see a scenario where a bottom half team bids that for him. He's better than all 'Boro strikers and Benteke imo

Imo he would not go. Not sure about the benteke bit.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Â