Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

9 minutes ago, deeps said:

Still think someone will try get him in the summer. Brighton maybe? 

dont see him leaving in the summer - we don't need to sell and he will fancy getting promoted at villa next season 

1 minute ago, deeps said:

Anyone wanting him will have to pay significantly more than what we did.

27 minutes ago, deeps said:

Nah, he loves it here. He'll be here for another season at least. If we don't get up next season then maybe...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xela said:

Yorke is the best striker I have ever seen in a Villa shirt by a country mile (watching from late 80's)

I think he was genuinely world class at Villa but as we're not a fashionable team, he was often overlooked. I still maintain he was better for us than he was at Man Utd as he was the focal point of everything at Villa. He could do everything. 

Yeah, I think me too.....but sir Brian was a bit special too.

Andy Gray was very very exciting too.....but never had their technical ability.

1 hour ago, deeps said:

I'm fairly sure there's not a team out there who would be willing to meet what our asking price would be (which will surely be upward of £20m). Do you think Brighton have that to drop on a striker? If so, they'd be stupid to spend it on someone with no top level experience. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Kodjia isn't as good as Dwight Yorke and never will be, but I think @One For The Road went too far the other way by calling him 'bang average'. He's clearly not that. 

15-20 goals for a bang average side that don't score goals is better than a bang average return. He has scored some absolute pearlers too. 

I think he is average in terms of being a quality striker. He isnt as good as Gayle for me and Gayle couldn't cut it in the Prem. Personally, I would rather have quite a few players ahead of him. Championship players. As for Prem strikers, well, there are a ton of better stikers in the Premier League than Kodjia. 

Yes, its fair to say that I do genuinely believe he is bang average. Oh, amd greedy as ****. Which can be ok for a striker but not in his case as his inability to spot a pass has been the end of many an attack this season. 

I think he fits well into our very average team tho and I doubt we could attract anyone who isnt bang average in our current state.

Edited by One For The Road

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

I think he is average in terms of being a quality striker. He isnt as good as Gayle for me and Gayle couldn't cut it in the Prem. Personally, I would rather have quite a few players ahead of him. Championship players. As for Prem strikers, well, there are a ton of better stikers in the Premier League than Kodjia. 

I think Kodija still has plenty of scope to improve as he was a late starter. Will be interesting to see how he does in the top flight (hopefully with us!) :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

Yes, its fair to say that I do genuinely believe he is bang average. Oh, amd greedy as ****. Which can be ok for a striker but not in his case as his inability to spot a pass has been the end of many an attack this season. 

I think he fits well into our very average team tho and I doubt we could attract anyone who isnt bang average in our current state.

See I think he is better then Gayle.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure about the list over the page, but he has now scored more goals for Villa than Milan Baros or Emile Heskey and has equalled the goalscoring feats of Luke Moore and Stan Collymore.

Again, these comparisons are utterly meaningless because of the differences in level. I'm fairly certain Baros would have been prolific at this level, same applies to Collymore. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Comparisons aside, fact is we'd linger in relegation without Kodjia. He is a terrible team player though, and I wonder if he has the humility to ever develop that part of his game.

I disagree - I don't think Kodjia is the difference between relegation material and not.  We'd be a completely different side without him and I'm sure no-one would have his goal tally, but I also think we'd see more goals from around the team and the style of play would be different.

Not better, not worse - just different.  Kodjia is a decent striker, though, and is getting better.  He's still settling in with new teammates as well, easy to forget that.

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

I disagree - I don't think Kodjia is the difference between relegation material and not.  We'd be a completely different side without him and I'm sure no-one would have his goal tally, but I also think we'd see more goals from around the team and the style of play would be different.

Not better, not worse - just different.  Kodjia is a decent striker, though, and is getting better.  He's still settling in with new teammates as well, easy to forget that.

It's pointless to debate this, since no one can know for certain how we'd have fared without him. We might not have scored any goals at all. Then again in fantasy land, Westwood might have scored a hattrick every game. But fact remains, without his 15 goals, and the amount of points they've actually yielded, we'd be in relegation. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vreitti said:

It's pointless to debate this, since no one can know for certain how we'd have fared without him. We might not have scored any goals at all. Then again in fantasy land, Westwood might have scored a hattrick every game. But fact remains, without his 15 goals, and the amount of points they've actually yielded, we'd be in relegation. 

That's only a "fact" if we didn't replace any of those goals or Kodjia as a player.  So, yes, if we played with 10 men and no striker each game I agree - we'd be in relegation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That's only a "fact" if we didn't replace any of those goals or Kodjia as a player.  So, yes, if we played with 10 men and no striker each game I agree - we'd be in relegation.

Are you seriously arguing as 'a fact', that we'd actually have the same amount of goals and the same results if he'd have been replaced with any of our forwards we had at the time? 

Â