Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Our most complete attacker since Dwight Yorke.

Can play central, out wide, can run with the ball, can shoot with either foot, is useful in the air, got some skill, scores all sorts of goals.

If he'd been playing for decent clubs since he was a teenager instead of since his mid-20s he'd be far too good for us by now.

I think he could do a Vardy.

12 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Our most complete attacker since Dwight Yorke.

Can play central, out wide, can run with the ball, can shoot with either foot, is useful in the air, got some skill, scores all sorts of goals.

If he'd been playing for decent clubs since he was a teenager instead of since his mid-20s he'd be far too good for us by now.

I think this is over the top because of the level we playing at. I have no doubt that a 'prime' Benteke would have massacred this league and score over 30 goals. I'd say the same about John Carew as well. Even a young/ motivated Agbonlahor (i.e. the Gabby of the 09/10 season) would be scoring in the 15-20 range at this level. 

We're playing at an exceptionally poor standard, so whilst Kodjia is clearly doing a fantastic job, he will need to do it in the premier league in order to be held in such high regard as being called our most complete forward since Yorke.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 4

Yorke was brilliant between 95-97.

97 season Collymore coming in unsettled him and he played in midfield for some reason.

He still scored crucial goals in our Uefa cup run and had a stroming end to the season in the league similar to Benteke's last year with us.

I like Kodjia a lot but it's a legitimate point to make it's only championship defences.

What last few weeks have shown though is Kodjia is far more effective doing his own thing upfront than being in a combination with Hogan so food for though going forward.

• Like 1

Great game yesterday, two well taken goals.

I'd still like to see him be stronger when having the ball played into feet as the lone attacker, but who cares if he scores two?

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Was Yorke really that good tho? 

Wow. Well, firstly YES he was really that good and secondly, he was probably about 1,000 times better than Kodjia is ever going to be. 

For the name Dwight Yorke to even be mentioned in thr Jonathan Kodjia thread is quite bizarre. Yorke was light years ahead and one of the top strikers in Europe for a number of years.

Kodjia is a decent Championship player that wouldnt stand a chance in the Premier League never mind in Europe. He may have scored a few goals in this piss poor league but he doesnt have a football brain and would be found out at any decent level.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Wow. Well, firstly YES he was really that good and secondly, he was probably about 1,000 times better than Kodjia is ever going to be. 

For the name Dwight Yorke to even be mentioned in thr Jonathan Kodjia thread is quite bizarre. Yorke was light years ahead and one of the top strikers in Europe for a number of years.

Kodjia is a decent Championship player that wouldnt stand a chance in the Premier League never mind in Europe. He may have scored a few goals in this piss poor league but he doesnt have a football brain and would be found out at any decent level.

I think kodjia would be ok at premier league level. Jordan Ayew managed 7 goals in a shit villa side, id be confident in kodjia being able to get double figures. 

59 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Yorke a 1000 times better than kodija will ever be ?  Definitely not in my opinion and certainly not one of the top strikers in Europe for a number of years either .

i liked yorke but he was nowhere near as good as you are making out.

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Yorke a 1000 times better than kodija will ever be ?  Definitely not in my opinion and certainly not one of the top strikers in Europe for a number of years either .

i liked yorke but he was nowhere near as good as you are making out.

Are you serious? Is this treble winning Dwight Yorke we are talking about? 52 goals in 96 games for Manchester United, 3 Premier League titles, a 1 in 2 stike rate at the very highest level as well as 1 in 3 strike rate at Villa over 9 years.

And then you have Johnny Kodjia......lol. Ok. There really is absolutely no comparison and its quite frankly ridiculous.

Edited by One For The Road

11 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Are you serious? This treble winning Dwight Yorke we are talking about? 52 goals in 96 games for Manchester United, 3 Premier League titles, a 1 in 2 stike rate at the very highest level. 

And then you have Johnny Kodjia......lol. Ok.

A 1000 times better than kodija ? 

Not in a million years mate - in fact every chance kodija will go on to score more goals for villa than yorke ever did in far less games .

you seem to think of yorke as some sort of pele by that description .

yes he had a good strike in a fantastic united side but even gabby would have scored for fun in that side.

Had you said yorke twice the player kodija will ever be then I would have accepted your opinion but 1000? 

yorke was a very good player but no way was he 1000 times better than kodija will ever be- ludicrous statement!

Edited by Eastie

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

A 1000 times better than kodija ? 

Not in a million years mate - in fact every chance kodija will go on to score more goals for villa than yorke ever did in far less games .

you seem to think of yorke as some sort of pele by that description .

yes he had a good strike in a fantastic united side but even gabby would have scored for fun in that side.

yorke was a very good player but no way was he 1000 times better than kodija will ever be- ludicrous statement!

Ludicrous statement? To think Kodjia will score more goals for Villa than Yorke in is one hell of a statement. And in far less games? And at Premier League level? 

Dwight Yorke and Jonathan Kodjia are not even close to being comparable. Kodjia is a bang average player who plays for a bang average team in a rather crap league. Yorke was one of the best players ever to play in the Premier League and is decorated as such.

We will have to agree disagree on this one Im afraid.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

It's hard to compare a player who has ended his career to a player that is still in the prime of his. 

JK could fire Villa back to the Premier League next season, be the top scorer, get snapped up by Chelsea and win many trophies before his career is over and eclipse what Yorke did so comparing them now isn't fair. Before that gets shot down please bear in mind that Victor Moses will probably be a Premier League champion this season! 

• Like 1

Just now, villarocker said:

It's hard to compare a player who has ended his career to a player that is still in the prime of his. 

JK could fire Villa back to the Premier League next season, be the top scorer, get snapped up by Chelsea and win many trophies before his career is over and eclipse what Yorke did so comparing them now isn't fair. Before that gets shot down please bear in mind that Victor Moses will probably be a Premier League champion this season! 

Well when that happens I'll acknowledge the comparison. Until then I'll step away from this one as its an almost surreal experience to come onto a thread and see people comparing Dwight Yorke to Jonathan Kodjia.

I think impossible to draw any meaningful comparison between a striker who played at the highest club level and won the biggest trophies in domestic ans European football with a player that hasn't even made an appearance in the top flight.

• Like 3

Â