Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

3 hours ago, vreitti said:

Are you seriously arguing as 'a fact', that we'd actually have the same amount of goals and the same results if he'd have been replaced with any of our forwards we had at the time? 

You're assuming that a failed attempt to sign Kodjia would mean we'd just not sign anyone else. 

22 hours ago, bobzy said:

That's only a "fact" if we didn't replace any of those goals or Kodjia as a player.  So, yes, if we played with 10 men and no striker each game I agree - we'd be in relegation.

Given the failure of McCormack and the struggles of Scott Hogan I'm not sure anyone can easily argue that Kodjia's goals would have been replaced. 

Who else in our current squad would have scored them? And if we'd signed a different player, absolutely no guarantee things would have worked out. 

Kodjia has clearly had a massive affect on us this season. Being the only player in a squad who can consistently score will do that. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Given the failure of McCormack and the struggles of Scott Hogan I'm not sure anyone can easily argue that Kodjia's goals would have been replaced. 

Who else in our current squad would have scored them? And if we'd signed a different player, absolutely no guarantee things would have worked out. 

Kodjia has clearly had a massive affect on us this season. Being the only player in a squad who can consistently score will do that. 

Exactly - there's no guarantee either way so how can it be "factual" that we'd be relegated without him?

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

It could be argued that McCormack and Hogan could have played better without Kodjia beside them as he can be too selfish...

However Benteke was a player of a similar mould and he could be pretty selfish at times. He moved on and look where we found ourselves without him...

No doubt about it Kodjia has had a huge effect on us this season and if we can get him a decent supply next season he could take us all the way back to the Premiership. He's also a player who could probably do a job in the Premiership (a step up that players like McCormack and Rhodes have failed to make over the past few years)

It's impossible to say either way. 

We could've made a panic buy at the end of the window on some unknown nobody who scored 30 goals and won us the league. 

Or not having Kodjia could've been so detrimental to the way the team played that we only scored 20 goals all season and finished bottom.

Or something in between. 

31 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think we might struggle to keep him over the summer.

Clubs like Brighton, Stoke, Leicester etc wouldn't bat an eyelid now about paying £25M for someone with the inbound finances the premier league brings.......

Maybe. However it is increasingly rare that Premier League clubs look to the Championship for players, particularly at that price for a 27 year old. It would be unheard of.

£25m buys you more on the continent, in theory. 

If you added the vision some want to his game he'd be playing for Chelsea or City.

He isn't going to change, imo we need to embrace his good points, of which there are many, and just keep fingers crossed he will occasionally accidentally pass.

To be honest I'm baffled anyone would want him gone and would be staggered if Bruce does,

Kodja will get us promoted next year.

• Like 1

Based on absolutely nothing at all, I think hogan will score more than him next season. Would be good to see them going at it hammer and tongue for the top scorer record next season:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think we might struggle to keep him over the summer.

Clubs like Brighton, Stoke, Leicester etc wouldn't bat an eyelid now about paying £25M for someone with the inbound finances the premier league brings.......

Good thing we own his registration for a few years and don't need money then.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So you can see us selling Kodjia this summer then yes?

I can see clubs being interested in buying him yes, at that point it largely comes down to the player.

You can argue all day about being under contract but it means little-to-nothing if the player wants a move, at that point we either sell or force him to stay which in most cases leaves you with a highly demotivated and disgruntled employee who, as a result of the discord, is likely to contribute less than they're capable of.

Â