Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

What’s very frustrating is that the run he did against Yeovil is something we have seen him do before but so is appearing disinterested and wandering around the pitch for the majority of the game. Granted he may still need to get over his injury but even then he does also need to kick it up a gear and get more involved IMO. 

• Like 1

On 11/08/2018 at 21:48, TheAuthority said:

It's no coincidence that Albert has gone off form since Kodjia has become the main man.

Is bad enough everyone is getting on his back already but now people are making things up and blaming it on him. 

I think he's been prefectly for these last 2 games, but people have already decided he's rubbish now and blame everything on him.

Welcome the new scapegoat of the season.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

What’s very frustrating is that the run he did against Yeovil is something we have seen him do before but so is appearing disinterested and wandering around the pitch for the majority of the game. Granted he may still need to get over his injury but even then he does also need to kick it up a gear and get more involved IMO. 

I have a feeling this will soon be Kodjias version of "He just needs another pre season" on here. lol

So many strikers never get back to the levels they were at before a bad injury, especially later in their careers. I hope this isn't the case with Kodja, but it does seem more and more likely.

I don't understand what any concerns about his performances are in relation to.

He's competing, winning aerial battles, driving at defenders and has created at least one solid chance in each fixture.

He still has the best close control of anyone on our team and can take it to the defenders in this league. While Grealish does an excellent job of protecting the ball, Kodjia has a bit more trickery and sharpness to his footwork and touches.

Even if he doesn't reach the heights he has done previously, which you might say were prolific, we still seem to have a striker who can compete at every exchange and is above average for this level.

• Like 1

16 months without a goal from open play. (11 of which Villa didn't have fixtures or Kodjia was unavailable).16 games without a goal - 24 without a goal from open play.

The last goal from open play was against Burton in April '17 - his 4th goal in the 3 games that week and his 8th in 8 games. 184 mins in 3 appearances before getting injured and missing the Brighton game.

Last year an 8 game comeback from injury in Sept/Oct and the penalty against Bolton to show for it. 534 mins in 8 games before getting injured again against SHA and more ankle surgery. 90 goalless mins against Mali for the Ivory Coast in there too.

Fast forward to April '18 and the second comeback - 10 appearances - mostly off the bench. 43 mins in the 3 play off games - 290 in the other 7. And then this year 3 games so far and 196 mins.

So since the injury he has averaged a little under 52mins per game on the pitch. And while the straight stats at the top of the page sound bad because they are, the mitigation is huge imo.

We're at the stage where in 15 months or so he has rarely, if ever, completed 90 mins on the pitch. He's getting there though.

All this goes away with a goal or 3. It's fair to say he hasn't looked himself since all this injury stuff. I don't get how people are writing him off though.

If it's true that before the new owners stepped in that he, along with Jack and Chester was destined to leave then surely if we thought he was crocked we'd be letting him go regardless?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He has never been a center forward but we are asking him to play that way because it suits the system.

His best time with us was playing on the left as an inside forward. Even during his best spells his goals came from moments if individual creativity, benefiting from the extra time and space you get playing out wide.

He's not going to hold up the ball, he's not going to win aerial duels, he's not going to play in small strikers or attaching midfielders. In short we are not playing to his strengths, we are using him because we have no strikers that actually fit the system. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dick said:

Give him time. Two months from now if he is not scoring goals... I will donate £20 to Villatalk.

He’s going to score at Ipswich and we’ll welcome have thr Kodjia who we know back again. ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dick said:

Give him time. Two months from now if he is not scoring goals... I will donate £20 to Villatalk.

If i were you mate I'd consider a "cash in" approach. 

Pay VT £10 now, it will save you a tenner in the long run ?

Â