The Championship thread

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Maybe depends on your age. Stoke and West Brom were up for about 10 seasons each recently. 

23 years since Forest last up and think 8 seasons since I was alive. The Clough years made up about 40% of the time they were up 

No doubt - probably the leanest "non-top flight" spell in their history.

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Maybe depends on your age. Stoke and West Brom were up for about 10 seasons each recently. 

23 years since Forest last up and think 8 seasons since I was alive. The Clough years made up about 40% of the time they were up 

Age is the key thing in this. I hate to say it but based off my lifetime and recent history but Birmingham are a bigger club than Forest. They've been in the top flight more and have won a cup. I don't think of them as a big club but shows how subjective this is. 

I also don't like the idea of recognising clubs as ones that deserve to be top flight. If any club makes it to the top flight they deserve to be there and all fans dream of their club being top flight. 

It's only a small step away from saying that only certain clubs should be in the European competitions and that's something I think we'd all challenge. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

Spending the thick part of £200m probably helps with that.

There are no clubs coming up who are lucky enough to be in the position we were.

Bournemouth must've spent a good 100m + on Liverpool rejects over the five years they were in the prem. Obviously there's a limit to what likes of them can achieve in premier league I guess.

Watford came up in 2015 and within a year or two were signing guys like Roberto Pereya and Delefueo for 20m +. Sarr was about 30m I think.

Fulham also had that season similar to us when they spunked around 100m on average players including about three keepers IIRC and went straight back down.

After today, a 6 point gap between Luton and 7th, so likely that Huddersfield & Luton will both be in the playoffs. the gap for Huddersfield & Bournemouth is 4 with HT having 2 games more played. Forest have an outside chance of catching Bournemouth with the games in hand, they have West Brom in a bit but it looks like their loss to Luton on friday really ended that chance of catching Bournemouth.

Also looks like the bottom 3 are settled. 

I love living close to the City ground. Got to wind up some noses a couple of weeks ago, and just drove past some boggies with my roof down, villa scarf blowing in the wind, and a rousing chorus of **** the Albion. Made sure the next light was green, obviously :blush:

• Like 3

Shame Derby are going down now. Hope nothing worse, of course they should be punished for bending the rules but I hope at the very worst they are playing League One football and have decent owners. I do fear for them though. A decent club like Forest who shouldn't be falling down the leagues. 

Seems Rooney has hinted he will stay with a takeover, but I doubt that given how well he has done he'd probably get a few good offers elsewhere.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Shame Derby are going down now. Hope nothing worse, of course they should be punished for bending the rules but I hope at the very worst they are playing League One football and have decent owners. I do fear for them though. A decent club like Forest who shouldn't be falling down the leagues. 

Seems Rooney has hinted he will stay with a takeover, but I doubt that given how well he has done he'd probably get a few good offers elsewhere.

He said he turned down Everton so he has received some. Has done a fine job and should be proud of the effort

Jason Knight is a player we should be looking at

• Like 1

Forest looking good for play offs.

If they can finish 4th have home game 2nd leg against luton they have a good chance at getting to wembley

At present you have to say sheff utd are favs from a play off point of view. I actually cannot believe millwall are 7th. Imagine if they finish in play offs and come up? Rowetts doing a brilliant job there

Feel for Derby, they played pretty well today from what I saw (second half), very little in the game and even the goal came from Derby playing a sloppy pass which if they’d executed properly they’d have been in on goal themselves, fine margins and all that. 

Whilst on the surface I think it looks like Rooney’s done a pretty good job, in some respects he’s had it simple with limited resources, he’s not had the headaches other teams and mangers have in terms of keeping lots of folks happy and engaged, he’s not had to get involved in transfer dealings and he’s been somewhat immune from criticism because of the context of the points deduction. Be interesting to see how he gets on next season if he stays there and assuming they get taken over and get back on to some kind of even keel.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Forest looking good for play offs.

If they can finish 4th have home game 2nd leg against luton they have a good chance at getting to wembley

At present you have to say sheff utd are favs from a play off point of view. I actually cannot believe millwall are 7th. Imagine if they finish in play offs and come up? Rowetts doing a brilliant job there

They gave the ball away a lot last night but I was impressed with their discipline as they ran the game down, against ten men.

Jack Colback's goal and his reaction, was the funniest thing I've seen for ages.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

On 18/04/2022 at 22:05, Demitri_C said:

millwall are 7th. Imagine if they finish in play offs and come up? Rowetts doing a brilliant job there

I was at the home game we played against these lot last time they came up, typiocal that we couldn't beat them (think it was 2-2 that day).

Horrible bunch of scum fans.

8 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I was at the home game we played against these lot last time they came up, typiocal that we couldn't beat them (think it was 2-2 that day).

Horrible bunch of scum fans.

It would be funny Sky trying to defend the greatest league in the world as family friendly when Milwall fans are ripping up Anfield or Etihad

• Like 1

On 19/04/2022 at 13:02, PussEKatt said:

I cant get over why no rich owner has bought Millwall ? surley they have the potential for a large fan base if they do well.

They're a tin pot club and always will be regardless of location. They revell in it.

• Like 1

Quite surprising that on VT (not that I can see)  and even general pundits are ignoring Huddersfield, who is currently 3rd in the table. Can't remember seeing them doing anything spectacular but they are somehow there quite comfortably in playoff slot

• Like 2

On Luton, their stadium is atrocious and I think it only holds about 10k. Like in the lower leagues, does the PL have minimum stadium requirements? 

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

On Luton, their stadium is atrocious and I think it only holds about 10k. Like in the lower leagues, does the PL have minimum stadium requirements? 

It is just slightly less than Bournemouth stadium and dont think they had a problem

Â