The Championship thread

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Are we really club to be complaining? We've been overpaying for players for nearly 2 decades with no return.

We spent 45m on a strike force that didn't even get us out the Champiosnhip.

That was thanks to parachute payments though - I’m talking about a club that deliberately gamed the system to its advantage to get promoted. The EFL is a joke of a system run by idiots. They punish clubs and let the likes of Bournemouth and others get away. 

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

That was thanks to parachute payments though - I’m talking about a club that deliberately gamed the system to its advantage to get promoted. The EFL is a joke of a system run by idiots. They punish clubs and let the likes of Bournemouth and others get away. 

Parachute payments didn't help us paying HMRC

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Different kettle of fish - unlike Bournemouth we never breached FFP. 

No we were just unable to pay our bills our wages and out obligations until we were so lucky 2 billionaires bought us.

I don't recall Bournemouth ever having that issue. **** FFP

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Drives me mad the amount of people recording the moment in the phone rather than enjoying and embracing it 

4-D242-DFF-1-FF3-406-A-B6-FE-B61-C286-C5

All them people on the pitch, looks like we have gone back to the dark days.... Oh right that is only when Villa fans are on the pitch....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/05/2022 at 09:14, Genie said:

Drives me mad the amount of people recording the moment in the phone rather than enjoying and embracing it 

4-D242-DFF-1-FF3-406-A-B6-FE-B61-C286-C5

This Titanic pic sums up how I see the general public nowadays:

q7gryi8nxy701.jpg

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

People say Stoke are going to challenge every year since relegation and they never do, parachute payments long gone now as well, at this point they're pretty much an established Championship club and will probably need a very good transfer window to even think about challenging for even the play-offs, I think their fans are quite split on O'Neill as well.

As an aside just seen they've released Shilo Waldo, came through our academy alongside the likes of Chukwuemeka, Aaron Ramsey, Kesler-Hayden and so on and was part of the youth team that won the Floodlit Cup South, it's usually other way around of course but he left us to join West Brom, I'm guessing we must have released him, was with them briefly before joining Stoke.

They've also released another of our ex players James Chester, along with Tom Ince, and Steven Fletcher.

• Like 1

I fancy Sunderland to do well, being finally able to ride the crest of a wave n all.

For Burnley, it depends on who they’re able to keep, you never know what you’re going to get with Watford and it’ll be interesting to see how their new manager steps up from a minnow club to a much larger one. I don’t fancy Norwich, I don’t think it’ll work out for Smith there and i don’t think they’re anywhere near as strong as they were when they went down the last time.

WBA won’t do shit under Bruce, fingers crossed next year is the year that the lingering turd that is SHA gets finally flushed down to league 1.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Next season will be norwich, wba, watford and stoke challenging i predict.

Cant see burnley doing anything.

I reckon watford and Norwich will come straight back up

Think Watford are in similar state to West Brom coming down. If you take out Sarr (who will surely leave) and Dennis it's pretty much a squad with a couple of decent young strikers and then loads of journeymen in their 30s (Cathcart, Cleverley, Dan Gosling etc). Plus Rob Edwards as manager is total unknown at that level.

Don't see them in top 6.

Norwich will be in mix but then us with DS only scraped into top 6 with a mad winning run despite having Grealish, McGinn, Tammy etc so I don't think they'll be walking the league like under Farke.

Think it's the weakest relegated teams to come down from prem for ages so can see loads of teams putting a bit more in to get top 6, Coventry my outside bets as they haven't been far off top 6 and Mark Robins is one of the best managers in championship nowadays.

If Sunderland sign well they can certainly be in the mix as Alex Neil is a proven championship manager so no issues with him.

Edited by VillaChris

WBA won't challenge. Their squad is poor they have no money and a dinosaur in charge. Swift though is a great pick up on a free but not enough.

I think Sunderland aswell another big club will struggle. It's not a great squad and they limped up. They need investment . Be interesting what they do in the market.

Just now, rodders0223 said:

WBA won't challenge. Their squad is poor they have no money and a dinosaur in charge. Swift though is a great pick up on a free but not enough.

I think Sunderland aswell another big club will struggle. It's not a great squad and they limped up. They need investment . Be interesting what they do in the market.

They're signing Jed Wallace aswell from Millwall on a free, he has crazy assist level in championship last 3-4 years.

It's typical Bruce though. Just look at assists and scoring chart and sign those players in their late 20s and tell them to put their boots on and try their best at 2.55pm on a Saturday.

• Haha 1

Norwich look like they might be getting investment from the Milwaukee Brewers' owner, he and his entourage were at their last game of the season some of them in Norwich scarves, so looks like something is potentially happening there.

With Forest and Derby going in opposite directions, the Championship has lost quite a lot of the big clubs when we were down there. I think the championship averaged 20,000 per game when we were in it, now it it less than 17,000. Sunderland coming back will help but I think the league has lost a bit of its appeal since we got promoted lol.

I definitely think the 4 teams in the playoffs this time were the weakest 4 teams I can remember. In the year we went up any of the 4 sides in the playoffs would have put up at least a battle in the Prem; I feel like both Huddersfield and Luton would have been annihilated and not sure Forest or Sheff Utd would have done/will do much better.

Yeah can see Boro being priced as favourites.

Had a really good run since Wilder came in. Probably would've got top 6 comfortably if not for the FA cup run and would imagine they'll reshape the squad a bit summer. Get off to a strong start and they'll be in mix for top 2 most of the season.

• 1 month later...
On 25/08/2021 at 10:31, useless said:

Kyle Hudlin was Solihull's main striker and he's now being linked to championship clubs and apparently Man City scouts have been watching him.

SIgned for Huddersfield Town's 'B team'.

Â