The Championship thread

TrentVilla

Looking at the stats the average attendances have dropped off a lot in the Championship from when we used to be in it. The average attendance for the league was over 20,000 for each season we were down there. Now it is barely over 16,000. I think the combination of big teams either being promoted (us, leeds, newcastle) or relegated (wednesday, sunderland), or struggling like Derby has made an effect. It has also lost competitiveness with the teams going down from the prem usually going straight back up again. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 18:48, useless said:

They will be on minus three points, so eighteen points from safety. If they are relegated it will be the third season in a row that a championship team has gone down because of a points deduction, seems farcical to me, ideally you'd want these things to be decided on sporting merit, of course it would be decided on sporting merit if these clubs didn't break the rules, but the fact that so many are breaking the rules maybe suggests that there's something wrong with the sytem in the first place.

The EFL is a bubble ready to burst. It’s not fit for purpose. It’s leadership would rather sellout the grassroots to appease the Premier League. They’ve allowed too many dodgy owners to ruin clubs leading to all these deductions. Rick Parry and others are dragging the game further and further down. 

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not Championship but Football League related but Gareth Barry has been charged over breaching the rules over the sale if Swindon. Didn't even know he was involved 

It looks like his old pal Michael Standing is involved as well

The former England midfielder Gareth Barry has been charged by the Football Association over alleged breaches of intermediary regulations. The FA said the 40-year-old was alleged to have breached regulations related to “the ownership and/or funding of Swindon Town FC”.

It comes with FA proceedings continuing against the League Two club, the former owner and chairman Lee Power and First Touch Pro Management and its company director Michael Standing, after they were charged in April.

The FA said: “Further to the existing proceedings … the FA has also now charged Gareth Barry in relation to breaches of the FA’s Regulations on Working with Intermediaries.

“It is alleged that Gareth Barry also breached intermediary regulations in relation to the ownership and/or funding of Swindon Town FC. Swindon Town FC, Lee Power, First Touch Pro Management, Michael Standing and Gareth Barry all have until Wednesday December 1 2021 to provide responses to their respective charges.”

Barry, who made 53 England appearances and played for Aston Villa, Manchester City, Everton and West Brom, retired from playing in August 2020.

29 minutes ago, NeilS said:

It looks like his old pal Michael Standing is involved as well

The former England midfielder Gareth Barry has been charged by the Football Association over alleged breaches of intermediary regulations. The FA said the 40-year-old was alleged to have breached regulations related to “the ownership and/or funding of Swindon Town FC”.

It comes with FA proceedings continuing against the League Two club, the former owner and chairman Lee Power and First Touch Pro Management and its company director Michael Standing, after they were charged in April.

The FA said: “Further to the existing proceedings … the FA has also now charged Gareth Barry in relation to breaches of the FA’s Regulations on Working with Intermediaries.

“It is alleged that Gareth Barry also breached intermediary regulations in relation to the ownership and/or funding of Swindon Town FC. Swindon Town FC, Lee Power, First Touch Pro Management, Michael Standing and Gareth Barry all have until Wednesday December 1 2021 to provide responses to their respective charges.”

Barry, who made 53 England appearances and played for Aston Villa, Manchester City, Everton and West Brom, retired from playing in August 2020.

So what does  that mean?

Edited by The Fun Factory

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

So what does  that mean?

Michael Standing was the other youngster we nicked from Brighton at the same time as Gareth Barry. Standing was the higher rated of the two at the time. I guess they have remained in contact over the years even though their careers went in different directions.

With regards the charges from The FA, I can't say I am knowledgable about what offence they have committed. I guess more will come out at the hearing at the beginning of December

5 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Michael Standing was the other youngster we nicked from Brighton at the same time as Gareth Barry. Standing was the higher rated of the two at the time. I guess they have remained in contact over the years even though their careers went in different directions.

With regards the charges from The FA, I can't say I am knowledgable about what offence they have committed. I guess more will come out at the hearing at the beginning of December

Standing has been Barrys agent for most of his career

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Standing has been Barrys agent for most of his career

Ok, I did not know that. Just reading up quickly, and it appears they are childhood friends so Standing became GB's agent after MS retired from football.

• 1 month later...

Last time I looked at the top of the table, Fulham were about ten points clear, all of a sudden they've drawn four games in a row, Bournemouth haven't won any of their last five, and now there are only four points seperating the top four, and QPR in fifth place have two games in hand. Blackburn the form team.

11 minutes ago, useless said:

Last time I looked at the top of the table, Fulham were about ten points clear, all of a sudden they've drawn four games in a row, Bournemouth haven't won any of their last five, and now there are only four points seperating the top four, and QPR in fifth place have two games in hand. Blackburn the form team.

I noticed this too. There something comforting about seeing random teams at the top of the championship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

looks like Fulham and Bournemouth will be the clear 1st & 2nd place finishers, but with places 3-10 all within 9 points with everyone having at least a game in hand on Huddersfield town in 3rd. Hopefully be getting a new-ish team coming up through the playoffs. 

• Like 1

Boring that Bournemouth are coming back up, was hoping Blackburn would make top 2 but they've blown it last few weeks with goals drying up for Brereton.

Hopefully we get a team up through play offs who haven't been in prem for a while, Forest would be interesting aswell.

• Like 2

On 26/02/2022 at 22:26, useless said:

Luton going well with Steer, Bree, Lansbury, and now Snodgrass in their team, in the top six and have games in hand over all the other teams in the play-off places.

Weird reading those names now....feels a million miles away!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Around nine to eleven games left, the play offs are quite close to call. Four points separate 4th and 11th with a game in hand here and there.

Fulham and Bournemouth will probably finishing in the automatic positions. Huddersfield I would guess will take one of the play off spots. After that, it becomes a bit trickier to predict. I hope Forest make it, but they seem to win most weeks without really finding themselves in the top six.

Â