The Championship thread

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I think they got an injection of cash from somewhere, because since then I think they've paid their players and have made some good signings, they're one of the favorites for promotion now.

Wednesday are a proper old school club like Villa and Everton. They were a big team back in the 90s before it all went t*ts up. 

Hillsborough is a decaying lump of a ground though. Sometimes I think they get weighed down by all its history, good and bad, of the place.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think today's result is a major surprise, they've improved since Bowyer came in and have made some sensible signings, Sheffield United haven't signed anyone and look just as bad as they did last season. Game looked like a match between two midtable championship sides.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Some big crowds today in the efl- Shef Utd 29K, Sunderland 31K, Ipswich 21K. Good to see the fans back.

Is this Sunderland's 4th season in league one already? There are sleeping giants in English football and then there's them!

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Is this Sunderland's 4th season in league one already? There are sleeping giants in English football and then there's them!

When you comfortably average higher crowds than  virtually everybody the division above you and a fair smattering of two divisions above you, you have to be a somewhat of an underachieving football club.

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Genie said:

1st week of November and Aleksandar Mitrović has just hit 20 league goals 😮 

20 league goals and 5 assists in 17 games.

You’d fancy him to beat the all time record on this form. From memory isn’t the record from Murray about 33 goals?

Edit - A quick Google says record in a season is 30 goals, held by Toney and Murray. He should surpass that. 

Edited by villan-scott
  • Like 1

On 07/11/2021 at 08:02, villan-scott said:

You’d fancy him to beat the all time record on this form. From memory isn’t the record from Murray about 33 goals?

Edit - A quick Google says record in a season is 30 goals, held by Toney and Murray. He should surpass that. 

Guy Whittingham surely? Didn't he smash well into the 40's in one season for Pompey

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Guy Whittingham surely? Didn't he smash well into the 40's in one season for Pompey

He did, 42 in the league. I suspect the stat about is specifically for the "Championship" rather than the second tier.

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He did, 42 in the league. I suspect the stat about is specifically for the "Championship" rather than the second tier.

Yeah you’re both right. Whittingtham did it in Div 1. I was referring to the Championship. 

On 07/11/2021 at 00:24, HanoiVillan said:

Man is a Championship cheat code, like Gayle or Jerome on steroids.

Apparently he's on about 100k a week now.

Imagine thinking even in 2011 players in championship would ever earn that.

We probably started it with the ridiculous contracts we gave likes of McCormack in 2016-17.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

We probably started it with the ridiculous contracts we gave likes of McCormack in 2016-17.

That's a staggering amount. Still though, unlike McCormack he's actually going to fire them back to promotion so hard to say he isn't worth it really.

17 hours ago, VillaChris said:

£100k a week for a player not good enough for the premier league, 

Â