Dalian Atkinson

Pongotastic

Disgusting.

These cowards should both be given life sentences. This is as bad if not worse than the floyd case.

Tasering him then kicking him while he is unconscious is disgusting. 

Scum of the earth 

• Like 1

Wow. Sickening stuff. At the time it all happened I didn’t react either for or against anyone as it wasn’t clear what had happened and we didn’t know the details but I was never in a million years expecting anything this barbaric and brutal. Kicking him in the head after multiple taser shots one of which was for 33 seconds?! **** hell. The public opinion of UK Police must surely have turned in the last month or so? It’s like we are turning into Russia and cops attacking who they want when they want. Scary times. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Disgusting.

These cowards should both be given life sentences. This is as bad if not worse than the floyd case.

Tasering him then kicking him while he is unconscious is disgusting. 

Scum of the earth 

I don't personally think it's as bad as the Floyd case (while acknowledging we're still discussing degrees of murder here).

Floyd was never really much of a threat during the entire encounter with the police from what I could tell, but in this case I can understand the police being frightened especially given they previously tased him twice to no effect. Clearly there's no excuse to then tase him for 33 seconds nor to repeatedly kick him in the head afterwards, but this seems like a crime of panic and anger as a result of feeling threatened rather than something slow and deliberate as it was with Floyd. Personally I consider that "better", although obviously the outcome is the same either way.

Edited by Panto_Villan

Watching it on the news I'd be very surprised if they'll get done for murder, the defence will say the underlying health issues caused his death, don't think it will even be manslaughter 

Not sure how the lesser charge stuff will then be applied

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Watching it on the news I'd be very surprised if they'll get done for murder, the defence will say the underlying health issues caused his death, don't think it will even be manslaughter 

Me too, there’s a reason no serving police officer has ever been charged with murder.

He should be, but I think they’ll wriggle into grey areas.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't think this will happen. Legally if you punch someone in the head and it turns out that they have an abnormally thin skull you weren't aware of, you're still wholly culpable for the brain damage / death that occurs. Obviously police have some degree of protection because it's necessary for doing their jobs, but I just don't see how the policemen could claim that kicking someone in the head twice after tasing them for 33 seconds was a necessary part of their job. If they'd tased him for 10 seconds and he'd died of a heart attack, sure, the defence would probably fly - but not this. I can't see this being anything other than murder.

Also, I do take some heart from the fact that this seems to be something the police have identified from their own internal investigations (I don't remember seeing any public pressure campaign about it?) so presumably they think they can make the charges stick. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Horrible to think someone I idolised as a kid could depart this world in such a manner.

I hope those involved get everything they deserve coming to them.

Exactly this.  Absolutely loved watching the man and singing his name from the Holte End.

Truly sickening way to go and hope justice is served for his family.  RIP Dalian.

Murder would indicate there was intent to kill Dalian. I don't think that can be proved beyond doubt. Obviously what happened was abhorrent but it'll be manslaughter I guess? 

I just read that the officers weren't wearing bodycams?

Utterly horrendous :( 

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

I don't personally think it's as bad as the Floyd case (while acknowledging we're still discussing degrees of murder here).

Floyd was never really much of a threat during the entire encounter with the police from what I could tell, but in this case I can understand the police being frightened especially given they previously tased him twice to no effect. Clearly there's no excuse to then tase him for 33 seconds nor to repeatedly kick him in the head afterwards, but this seems like a crime of panic and anger as a result of feeling threatened rather than something slow and deliberate as it was with Floyd. Personally I consider that "better", although obviously the outcome is the same either way.

I think it is when you consider he had mental illness too. As a police officer you cant be tasering an unarmed person let alone one that is allegedly has mental health. 

What irks me is why isnt this getting the same outrage as floyd did? This was a equally despicable act.

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it is when you consider he had mental illness too. As a police officer you cant be tasering an unarmed person let alone one that is allegedly has mental health. 

What irks me is why isnt this getting the same outrage as floyd did? This was a equally despicable act.

100% agree me too. Two things racism and mental health too. its totally disgusting. 

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I can see situations where tasering as a last resort can be necessary against anyone, mentally ill or not. Kneeling on somebody's neck is truly barbaric in comparison imo.  It does look like the male officer went way over the line here though, anyone who kicks a man in the head when they're on the ground is scum of the earth as far as I'm concerned.  Hopefully justice is done for Dalian.

53 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

There are situations where mentally ill people are a danger to themselves and others, and I think a properly employed taser is probably the safest thing for everyone concerned in those situations.

That's not to excuse what happened to Dalian, but I don't think tasing someone who is mentally ill or unarmed is automatically despicable. There's a video a page or two back showing an unarmed man getting tased and not only was it totally deserved, it probably resulted in both him and the policemen getting hurt less than if they'd had to physically wrestle him to the ground and subdue him.

35 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I thought most tasers had a 4-5 second cut off. Thus to have it tasering for 30 secs you had to reactivate it 5-7 times.

Isn't that the case anymore?

From the bbc

The former Aston Villa star died after he was Tasered for 33 seconds.

Prosecutors said the default setting for a Taser is five seconds but PC Monk, 42, continued to press the trigger, overriding the system for 33 seconds.

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The George Floyd incident was filmed and put online (I think immediately) after. Everyone could see exactly what happened and draw their own conclusions from it.

Sadly, in this case, there is no video evidence and until it gets to court when coroners reports etc come in to the public domain all we hear about it is the vague story about a disturbance, a man with mental health issues and him sadly passing away from being tased due to underlying health issues.

Just shows again how ludicrous it is that the police aren't legally obligated to keep their bodycam attached and filming. Often when they are filming they say it's for everyone's protection, so I assume not bothering to get it from the station or turn it on means a few seconds of their time are more important that protecting the public. That, or they are leaving them off on purpose so they can act a certain way. Neither are a great look/excuse.

Â