Dalian Atkinson

Pongotastic

Aggressive man gets tasered by Police.

This is normal business for the police. The obvious thing with Dalian’s situation is how normal business becomes murder. I saw someone on social media suggest he was tasered more than once which was the reason for the charge but this is very like made up internet talk.

Edited by Genie

I still see lots of assumptions and guesswork here. Why do the cops need to be named yet when they could be 100% innocent. 

Tasers are used as a last resort and when officers feel their lives are in danger. 

I dont know the facts, I dont know if Dalian was a danger to others or not. I'll wait until a decision is reached before throwing the cops under the bus and declaring Dalian an innocent bystander.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-50410762

Dalian Atkinson: PCs charged over footballer's death named

Dalian AtkinsonImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES Image captionDalian Atkinson played for Aston Villa, Ipswich Town and Sheffield Wednesday

A court order protecting the identity of two police officers charged in connection with the death of Dalian Atkinson has been lifted by a judge.

The ex-Aston Villa striker, 48, died after he was restrained by police and Tasered at his father's house in Telford, Shropshire, in 2016.

West Mercia Police constable Benjamin Monk is charged with murder.

A second officer, Mary Ellen Bettley-Smith, is charged with assault causing actual bodily harm.

Judge Simon Drew QC, sitting at Birmingham Crown Court, overturned the Contempt of Court Act order, allowing the naming of the officers after submissions by media organisations.

Police constables Benjamin Monk (left), and Mary Ellen Bettley-Smith (right), arrive at Birmingham Crown CourtImage copyrightPA MEDIA Image captionPolice constables Benjamin Monk and Mary Ellen Bettley-Smith arriving at Birmingham Crown Court earlier

Both officers were present at the hearing, at which their lawyers agreed that anonymity could not be justified, instead arguing that their home addresses should not be revealed in media reports.

The officers had been granted the interim order banning publication of their names last week after it was argued there were risks to their safety.

Lawyers acting for six media organisations argued that the anonymity orders were an "unjustified" and represented a serious interference with common law open justice principles.

Latest news from the West Midlands

An alternative charge of an unlawful act manslaughter has been put forward by the CPS for PC Monk.

PC Bettley-Smith has indicated that she will plead not guilty.

The 29-year-old officer and her 41-year-old colleague are both from Shropshire, but a court order prevents the media from reporting their home addresses.

Mr Atkinson, who also played for Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday, was detained outside an address in Trench, Telford at about 01:30 on 15 August 2016.

He was taken by ambulance to the Princess Royal Hospital, where he died.

Both defendants are next expected to appear in court on 9 December for a plea and trial preparation hearing.

14 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I think its wrong that people are clamouring for names and addresses when they could be completely innocent. Plus names and addresses leads to danger to family members as well. 

I agree with that, but then they should not get special treatment because they are police officers. If names are to be kept secret at this stage then it should be for all for the reasons you mentioned.

On 17/11/2019 at 20:59, Ingram85 said:

I think its wrong that people are clamouring for names and addresses when they could be completely innocent. Plus names and addresses leads to danger to family members as well. 

I don’t think anyone was “clamouring” for names and addresses. The press made a formal submission in a court of law that was considered by judges in the context of the law as it applies to everyone, and a ruling was made. The police officers in question were also able to put forward their case but note that even they dropped the requirement for anonymity. No addresses were published.

There was no case for anonymity here.

If they are “completely innocent”, at least now we will know the names of the innocent.

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Happy Birthday Dallian Atkinson, would of been 53 today, R.I.P but party on wherever you are today.

What a Fantastic player you were for Villa and to all his friends and family he must of been one heck of a guy.

• 1 month later...
On 21/03/2021 at 10:00, TrentVilla said:

When is the case coming to court?

Today...

Dalian Atkinson died on 15 August 2016 aged 48, following use of force by officers of West Mercia police, including restraint and Taser.

Two police officers will now stand trial for their actions in relation to his death. One officer for murder and manslaughter (in the alternative), and the other for section 47 Offences Against the Persons Act 1861 (Actual Bodily Harm).

The charges were announced by the Crown Prosecution Service in November 2019. The trial opens today at 11am (Monday 26 April) for jury selection and empanelment, then the hearing is adjourned for the prosecution opening on Tuesday 4 May.

Neither the family nor their solicitors will be making any comment at this time.

No police officer has been found guilty of murder or manslaughter following a death in police contact or custody in England and Wales since INQUEST began recording this in 1990. Murder or manslaughter charges have been brought against police officers in ten cases since 1990. In all cases trials have collapsed or officers have been acquitted by the jury.

https://www.inquest.org.uk/dalian-atkinson-officers-trial-opens

Dalian Atkinson murdered in street by police officer, jury hears.

“The pathologists and intensive care expert instructed by the prosecution agree that whilst his underlying health conditions meant that Dalian Atkinson was at a greatly increased risk of dying, were it not for the third Taser deployment and the kicks to his head, Dalian Atkinson would not have died that night.”

'kin hell.

• Sad 2

Mr Monk kicked him in the head with such force imprints of his boot laces were left in two locations on Mr Atkinson's forehead while Ms Bettley-Smith used her baton to strike him "a number of times" while he lay still in the road, the court was told.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-56979521

• Sad 2

Â