Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Watching Ipswich and VT match thread, I saw a poster say something to the effect that they hadn't heard jedinaks name mentioned once, so clearly he was useless.  

I thought he had been fine so I started paying more attention.  The commentary mentioned only players that had 3 or more touches.   One touch was not named.  In addition Jedinak was well positioned and intercepted several passes intended to spring an attacker past the back line .   Curiously, none of these were simple passes to jedinaks feet   He was stretching and reaching to knock down the pass   If those touches counted as passes, I'm not surprised they weren't well aimed at teammates.  He was well-positioned and reading play well to anticipate the passing lanes, then stepping in to snag the ball out of its attacking intent.  

In other words, how many tackles nor how many times a commentator says a players name is an accurate measure of effectiveness.

Apparently he made 1 interception?  Depends how that is defined, I suppose.

1 minute ago, srsmithusa said:

i counted 3 in the 20 minutes I was focusing on his performance.  But you are right.  Depends on how that's defined.

FWIW, I was once designated as the official spotter for stats by FIFA at an Atlanta Olympics venue.  

I'm only going from here https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1084931/LiveStatistics/England-Championship-2016-2017-Ipswich-Aston-Villa

As an aside, being an official spotter for stats would be well interesting!  Did you have to focus on a certain thing?

Their primary focus was on fouls and misconduct.  time, location, culprit, victim,  type, re-start, outcome of re-start.  But of course they wanted a bunch else, too.  

Goals, tackles, interceptions, they did not care about passes or pass percentages (at least not in the program in which I was utilized... I'm sure those were being tracked by some other means.)   It was quite interesting.  I was the "spotter" and noted the event on a headset, someone else backed me up and confirmed the player number, a third person clicked the approximate location on the field in a software program, along with the details I called.  It was a new system they were trying.  I don't know if they adopted it or not.  A FIFA rep told me that the crew at our location did a great job, but that some other crews at other sites had much higher error rates (when confirming against the video later).  But he could have been just B.S. ing me.  It was fascinating and a lot of fun.  And the VIP section of the stadium was great - free food and drink. Couldn't (or at least didn't) drink alcohol before the match or at halftime but the bar stayed open for a while after the match.

The matches sitting with scouts mentioned above were at other events, mostly of youth international friendly matches.  I refereed the tournaments and would often sit with scouts and talk on my off games.

Alas, that was all 8-12 years ago and many fitness points ago.

But, back to Jedinak.  I think we've seen promise and suspect we'll see more of it realized over the season.  Hopefully, starting tomorrow !!

On 9/20/2016 at 17:23, bobzy said:

Are they question marks as in, you don't know he was doing those things or a sarcastic response to say those were the things he was doing?  I was asking as his stats were wank but people (yourself included) said he was decent.

And yes, of course managers don't base the entire game on stats.  I wasn't in Ipswich, being a manager - apologies.

(1 interception, by the way).

Question marks as in questions. Are they things most people would see as contributing towards a good performance from a defensive midfielder? For me they're important, but they don't really help on the stats front.

Similarly Gana had fantastic stats last season yet a lot of fans didn't rate him and thought he would be no loss.  He's stepped into a better midfield at Everton, and is widely regarded as playing very well.  Would we have been more appreciative if he'd been playing in a better midfield last season?

We need to hope Tish is fit soon, and for the rest of the season, and then I think it'll be fair to analyse Jedi. Good teams are built around good partnerships, and our team is so new they've not had chance to form those yet.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2016 at 17:23, bobzy said:

Are they question marks as in, you don't know he was doing those things or a sarcastic response to say those were the things he was doing?  I was asking as his stats were wank but people (yourself included) said he was decent.

And yes, of course managers don't base the entire game on stats.  I wasn't in Ipswich, being a manager - apologies.

(1 interception, by the way).

Based on watching the first 20 mins today, he's been crap. Haven't seen his stats, but I anticipate they're crap too...

I've always thought he was average at best, done nothing to convince me otherwise. His best days are behind him, even they were fairly shite. Was pissed off when we signed him and deLaet. A total waste of money

29 minutes ago, jim said:

Well and truly. 

One of the worst players I have seen wear a Villa shirt.

Is it just me or can he actually not run at all. He makes Gareth Barry look like theo Walcott. The slowest midfielder I have ever seen.

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Is it just me or can he actually not run at all. He makes Gareth Barry look like theo Walcott. The slowest midfielder I have ever seen.

It's like he is running through mud.

Dire footballer and should be no where near the first team.

That cross at the end...

• Like 1

Â