James Chester

KJT123

He gave the ball away for the early chance that Johnstone saved. He is a liability for me unless especially when played with Elphick(good defenders should be able to play with anybody)

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He gave the ball away for the early chance that Johnstone saved. He is a liability for me unless especially when played with Elphick(good defenders should be able to play with anybody)

LJVnQO0.gif

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

must be just when I see him. toxic vs Brentford, Newcastle, Forest recently

He went through a bad run of form then. They all did. Why single out Chester? He was under immense pressure during that period; the midfield went missing, his goalkeeper turned into Brad Guzan and Baker was playing as though he had headed that brick. Several times. I still can't name an actual mistake that lead to anything truly detrimental. You have to go back to Preston away for that. 

Not necessarily aimed at you Zatman but this season it has been almost impossible to have serious conversions on players, because half the time I don't know if I'm talking to somebody who has only seen our televised games, at most. When we have for the main part been predictably shit. I've even had conversations with people on performances only to find out that they'd listened to it on the radio. I may as well have asked for Tony Morley's opinion.

Chester has been a revelation this season. He does need a big bruising centre half next to him, but that big bruising centre half also needs James Chester. Every team in the division could do with one of those. 

• Like 1

I think some people look at his size, decide it doesn't fit with their image of a centre half and view everything through that prism.  

Every minor misdemeanor or rare occasion that the forward gets the jump on him can then be held up as examples of him being a 'liability.'

He's far from it.  He might not be Hangeland-size (to pick out one obvious example of a beast of a centre half), but Hangeland never read the game as well as Chester, so swings and roundabouts. 

Centre halves will get out muscled or out maneuvered by a canny forward occasionally. Was watching a review of the 1990/91 season back again recently and even McGrath had 'mares against Le Tissier and Niall Quinn; getting turned inside out by the former and giving away a reckless penalty against the latter in the early part of the campaign. 

The key is that sort of thing should only be occasionally. When it becomes a regular occurrence -as per Lescott, Richards et.c-  then the liability tag is an apt description. 

Edited by HolteExile
  • Like 2

Comparing captains this season and last season, he is everything Richards isn't.  And Captain Obvious says yes, that is a compliment.

• Like 2

On 14/03/2017 at 00:01, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He went through a bad run of form then. They all did. Why single out Chester? He was under immense pressure during that period; the midfield went missing, his goalkeeper turned into Brad Guzan and Baker was playing as though he had headed that brick. Several times. I still can't name an actual mistake that lead to anything truly detrimental. You have to go back to Preston away for that. 

Chester was garbage against Brentford and Forest.  From memory, just kept rushing out of position to get the ball - directly (and I mean directly, entirely his fault) led to 3 or 4 goals being conceded.  He was total garbage.

But yes, overall, he's been pretty solid.  

• 4 weeks later...

Once again, I just don't see the huge amount of praise for the guy. He worries me positionally, often the wrong side of the strikers (is he quick and thinks he can compensate?) or just unable to spot runs.

For 2 of Reading's goals today, he just isn't aware of what's going on around him. 

Â