James Chester

KJT123

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Noticed since Johnstone has come in he has been not as good. The keeper panics and it's effecting our cbs

Keeper had nothing to do with the back line f ups last night. We were all over the place at the back pushing too far up and there were big gaps in between Baker and Chester which were exploited. You may not rate Johnstone but that defensive display last night is in no way on him.

It was a very rare poor performance last night from Chester and Baker as they have looked solid. I don’t know if they are getting pulled out of position at times due to Amavi and Hutton going missing.

Amavi is a good player but has been dire for weeks and full back now looks our weakest area. Luckily we have just gotten two new ones and I expect they will both come in now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Keeper had nothing to do with the back line f ups last night. We were all over the place at the back pushing too far up and there were big gaps in between Baker and Chester which were exploited. You may not rate Johnstone but that defensive display last night is in no way on him.

It was a very rare poor performance last night from Chester and Baker as they have looked solid. I don’t know if they are getting pulled out of position at times due to Amavi and Hutton going missing.

Amavi is a good player but has been dire for weeks and full back now looks our weakest area. Luckily we have just gotten two new ones and I expect they will both come in now.

A good keeper organises that line in front of him. A good keeper ensures there are no gapes between his centre backs. a good keeper is a good talker.....the back four have looked poor with him behind them. He's certainly no better than Bunn and Steer.

Chester and Baker have never 'looked solid' in my view, their errors have cost us goals on a regular basis. They are howverm, the best pairing we have available. Positionally they are pretty poor...which enhances the need for a keeper that can organise them.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

You could have a point about full backs but there was one point in the game where Johnstone came running out to punchanged made a hash of it and Chester was ur of position. I think the keeper is not breeding our defence with much confidence I am afraid.

Looks like bunn mark 2 =(

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You could have a point about full backs but there was one point in the game where Johnstone came running out to punchanged made a hash of it and Chester was ur of position. I think the keeper is not breeding our defence with much confidence I am afraid.

Looks like bunn mark 2 =(

I don’t think this is the way to go mate jumping on the keeper this quick. He has played a handful of games behind a new to him back four with two full backs who like to go missing and with Jedi out a midfield that offers very little midfield defensive protection.

He has made no obvious f ups yet and I’d give it a few more games before throwing him in with Bunn. With Bree and Taylor almost certain to come in now the back five as a whole will need time to gel and build up an understanding and we can’t keep throwing individuals under a bus whilst that is happening.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I don’t think this is the way to go mate jumping on the keeper this quick. He has played a handful of games behind a new to him back four with two full backs who like to go missing and with Jedi out a midfield that offers very little midfield defensive protection.

He has made no obvious f ups yet and I’d give it a few more games before throwing him in with Bunn. With Bree and Taylor almost certain to come in now the back five as a whole will need time to gel and build up an understanding and we can’t keep throwing individuals under a bus whilst that is happening.

I'm all for giving him a chance mark but I think he has been poor in every game except spurs. I will give him more time to prove me wrong but he has been bloody crap so far. Gollini looked so much more composed with the ball. Yes he had a clanger in him   but his overall play was good. 

Again i will give him abit more time once we have a settled team but so far he just reminds me of bunn

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

You may not rate Johnstone but that defensive display last night is in no way on him.

Not all of it, anyway. There were a few occasions when a ball was played through and he just stood on his line, despite the ball coming back near the 6 yard box. He has to be more confident and decisive or we're going to concede a tonne of goals.

I don't think Chester's performance had much, if anything to do with Johnstone. Gollini didn't inspire confidence either and made the backline noticeably nervous. It's more down to the lack of protection from the midfield, crap fullbacks and him just having a generally shit night.  

2 hours ago, ViewFromT2 said:

A good keeper organises that line in front of him. A good keeper ensures there are no gapes between his centre backs. a good keeper is a good talker.....the back four have looked poor with him behind them. He's certainly no better than Bunn and Steer.

Chester and Baker have never 'looked solid' in my view, their errors have cost us goals on a regular basis. They are howverm, the best pairing we have available. Positionally they are pretty poor...which enhances the need for a keeper that can organise them.

I fully agree. I remember Les Sealey playing in goal for us during the 90's, and although he wasn't the greatest keeper techinally he did not stop bellowing instructions to our back four and keeping them on their toes. The GK can see a good picture in front of him, which he needs to communicate with the back four and defensive midfielders.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AVTuco said:

What's happening to you Chester? Get a grip, fast!

Totally agree with this! Something has happened to this lad because he looked outstanding for most of the season but cost us a few goals in the last month or so. 

Another really poor display. The lack of discipline him and Elphick have is pretty outrageous. They are often just going right through the back of opposing forwards who play with their backs to goal, giving away unnecessary and down right stupid free kicks. 

Both Chester and Elphick are very experienced players but making rookie mistakes, it's just not good enough. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Â