Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-rumour-steve-12426526

Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce will try to tempt Norwich City into parting with Robbie Brady by offering former Canaries target Ross McCormack in exchange.

Given that Norwich were very keen to sign McCormack last summer I actually have a slight bit of hope in this rumour. Would be great business for us and would see McCormack move along quietly forgotten about before he does any more damage to his reputation as a clinical Championship goal scorer.

Brady needs a change of scenery, his work rate and ability to cross the ball are enough to justify his move. I think he'd fit in nicely.

This swap does seem too good to be true however.

Not sure about this. Mcormack has been an outstanding player in the championship for a few years. We're just failing to get the best out of him. I rate Brady but not as part of an exchange deal for Mcormack as unless Villa are prepared to splash the cash for Rhodes then who's going to get the goals.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Not sure about this. Mcormack has been an outstanding player in the championship for a few years. We're just failing to get the best out of him. I rate Brady but not as part of an exchange deal for Mcormack as unless Villa are prepared to splash the cash for Rhodes then who's going to get the goals.

I like Ross but not sure he's a Bruce type player and if he doesn't fit into the system then this could be a decent deal for all parties - agree we would need a Rhodes type finisher to put the chances away .

Ultimately it depends on Bruce's plans for the squad and player.  Yes Ross has more goals than Robbie.  But Brady might fit Bruce's preferred formation and might help everyone else to up their game.  We seem incapable of using Ross properly without affecting everyone else, so it might (I emphasise 'might') be best for all parties if the move went ahead.  I dunno.

• Like 3

Someone like Brady would be perfect imo. We desperately lack natural width in the left, i don't see Ayew or Grealish in the traditional winger role. He can also cover at LB in the event that Amavi is sold/injured, and I'm sure one of our Irish members recently commented that he has been playing CM for Ireland? 

All in all its one of them signings that just makes sense for different reasons. And thats why I'd be open to a swap deal with McCormack, RMC is a very good player and has proven that he will score goals at this level, but the more i watch him, the more i think that us and him may simply not be suited to each other at this moment in time. 

He's been total shite so far, would be happy to see him go if it means a better player coming in. Very little upside with McCormack, if we go up he won't be anywhere near good enough for the premier league, whereas Brady can play at that level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's been total shite so far, would be happy to see him go if it means a better player coming in. Very little upside with McCormack, if we go up he won't be anywhere near good enough for the premier league, whereas Brady can play at that level.

in his last three seasons he has scored 66 goals in the championship alone, if he has been shite then that's down to us not him. I don't want to loose him. I think he will end up banging in loads of goals for Norwich. Best player in the championship imo.

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 2

I don't mind Ross leaving if we bring in Hernandez or someone.. but a swap with Brady and they want money on top? They taking the piss. Brady doesn't score or assist enough to be worth that. We need better. He's not worth more than 6-7 million.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2017 at 18:50, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's not working and he doesn't have the qualities that Bruce wants in a forward, no pace, no presence and not versatile across the front line.

thats Gaby

• Like 2

I like Brady, not worth McCormack plus money on top though.

i don't think we will ever be able to get the best out of both Kodjia and McCormack in the same team, and Kodjia has earned the right to be top dog by his performances for us.

10 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

And to add to that McCormack is a fat 30 year old and Robbie Brady is 24. A swap would be great.

McCormack leaving for Brady would also allow Ayew to move back into the centre as cover for Kodjia.

It would seem to balance up the squad a bit.

Id hate to lose him personally, but i could see the reasoning in this case.

Whilst he hasn't fired yet we only have two players in the whole club who can shoot properly, and Ross is one of them.

He is a genuine natural goal scorer as well as having a good football brain.

Whilst him and Kodja together may not work it hasn't been given much time, and in any case with still half a season to go we are likely to need more than Kodja.

I think letting him go - considering we don't need the money ? - makes no sense.

Bruce has played this well in saying he's not leaving. It means he's got a chance to fight for his place. Hopefully showing some more effort etc.

If he was to come out and say he's available would mean less effort from Ross, why would he bother?

If the right bid/swap came in then I reckon Bruce would get rid. We would have to change the team/formation to suit Ross and I don't think he's good enough to warrant that.

Â