Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

11 hours ago, KSV said:

We cant write him off yet. Lets get him a supply line before we jump on his back. He is a proven goal scorer. Has he actually had multiple chances in a game? First half of Cardiff match? How was he suppose to do anything when our midfield touched the ball 10 times. Ridiculous. Lets see him with Hourihane and Lansbury in midfield or someone similar. Id even take Huddlestone on loan. These sorts of midfielders will help link the defence and attack and we may see the best of him yet. 

Perhaps, but McCormack has missed a few sitters this season - irrespective of "supply line".  I'm sure it's confidence, he looks a decent enough player and actually looks better in a creative sense than I thought he would.  But £12m?  Should he be starting every game?  Too much and no, for me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

Perhaps, but McCormack has missed a few sitters this season - irrespective of "supply line".  I'm sure it's confidence, he looks a decent enough player and actually looks better in a creative sense than I thought he would.  But £12m?  Should he be starting every game?  Too much and no, for me.

I remember his debut against Wednesday where he went through on goal and missed a good chance, he appeared to miss it because he looked unfit and lacking sharpness, and that has pretty much summed up the vast majority of his play here. He has barely looked fit/ sharp and has to surely take a lot of blame for his poor conditioning. 

It's clearly not working out, a bad buy for us because he is extremely one dimensional and has to play in a very particular position that neither RDM or Bruce seem to want to accommodate. The thinking behind his signing was surely based on his record rather than reading between the lines. If we can get close to what we paid for him back then that would be great business.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thunderball said:

The thing is we are middling Championship side if we hadnt noticed! We bought the best strikers in the division, i.e. Those that would come here. We've just sold one of our strikers to a PL side. As said above, we are supplying our forwards with FA, so until we sort that out we won't we much return for our considerable forward investment. McC is one of the best in the division and hasn't gone bad overnight, it'll come.

Completely agree

Our strikers are not the problem, our supply is.  Then once in a blue moon our strikers do get a chance the pressure is on to score.  To some level I understand that they should be up to that pressure as that is what they are paid for but the supply at Villa is so bad that it must affect players as they know if they dont deliver we write them off.

We have McC, Kodjia and Gestede who were all prolific in this division previously and given we are one of the biggest teams in the division, the amount of money we have spent, none of them have really been prolific.  Kodjia being the closet to that at with 9 goals.  6 players in the division have scored more goals than him.

This points directly at the supply not being there, not strikers that havent fit into the system.

• Like 2

At the end of the day McCormack like many in this division is a Championship striker, they have never been picked up by Premiership clubs for a reason.

If you stick 10 balls through to McCormack 1 or 2 will end up in the back of the net.

Currently we are giving him 1 to 2 chances per game (if that) and he isn't scoring...

The problem isn't necessarily McCormack but the midfield behind him providing the chances.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

At the end of the day McCormack like many in this division is a Championship striker, they have never been picked up by Premiership clubs for a reason.

If you stick 10 balls through to McCormack 1 or 2 will end up in the back of the net.

Do you have evidence for that?

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Do you have evidence for that?

Haha no unfortunately not!

He was really disappointing against Cardiff on Monday, but when you look at the midfield behind him and the lack of possession our side has you can see why he looks so poor. With a strengthened midfield I think we will start to see the best of him.

I hope so anyway as he is all we have right now!

Be foolish to sell him IMO - the glimpses of skill and touch he has shown whilst playing out of position and with an awful midfield are enough for me to want him to stay. If he has players to link up with him he could provide a lot of goals and assists I reckon.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

His record prior to joining us would be evidence for that.

That he needs 10 attempts on goal to score 1/2? My question wasn't barbed, I'd just like to see that demonstrated. 

As it is I'm going to look it up myself later. 

4 hours ago, wilko154 said:

The reason he hasn’t been picked up by a premier league club is highly unlikely to be down to him needing 10 chances to score 1 or 2 goals.

I’d imagine the reason is that when you take a step up to the Premier League the defenders are that much better. He wouldn’t get the time and space he gets in the championship to score as defenders are that bitter slower both in terms of pace and in mind. They won’t read the game as well.

McCormack lacks any real pace so it is likely he would have struggled in the top flight. He has thrived in the Championship though and there is not a cat in hells chance that poor overall teams at Leeds and Fulham were putting 10 chances on a plate for him before he gobbled up one or two.

He is lucky if he has had two chances per appearance for us. Some games he won’t have had a sniff. That is down to a poor midfield and a at times selfish strike partner. We get the midfield right and McCormack will flourish for us at this level.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The reason he hasn’t been picked up by a premier league club is highly unlikely to be down to him needing 10 chances to score 1 or 2 goals.

I’d imagine the reason is that when you take a step up to the Premier League the defenders are that much better. He wouldn’t get the time and space he gets in the championship to score as defenders are that bitter slower both in terms of pace and in mind. They won’t read the game as well.

McCormack lacks any real pace so it is likely he would have struggled in the top flight. He has thrived in the Championship though and theRe is not a cat in hells chance that poor overall teams at Leeds and Fulham were putting 10 chances on a plate for him before he gobbled up one or two.

He is lucky if he has had two chances per appearance for us. Some games he won’t have had a sniff. That is down to a poor midfield and a at times selfish strike partner. We get the midfield right and McCormack will flourish for us at this level.

I think my 1 or 2 in 10 was a bit of an exaggeration that has been picked up on ;)

What you have just said is pretty much what I meant. Get the midfield right and McCormack should be fine.

Selling him now would be madness.

• Like 4

Â