Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

How do Villa keep on doing this with players with decent CV's? See also Bent, Darren.

Bent was pretty much down to Lambert not liking him. He scored 21 league goals in 45 league starts for us, it's a pretty excellent record overall. But Lambert had him on the bench more often than not and bought him on for a cameo every week.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

The teams so lacking in balance it's almost impossible to judge the forwards. I don't know if mc. Is the answer, but id love to know what the question is if gabby  is the  answer. 

You can start to judge him on the chances he's missing, missed a sitter yesterday and not for the first time, that's his fault and no one else, you'd really expect more for £12m. 

Fair point. I'm not defending him, just saying it's too easy to blame forwards when we are not scoring. No one at this level scores in their only chance of the game, (Regularly). If they did they wouldn't be at this level. How many chances does Kodjia miss a game? 

So frustrating and that header was as easy a chance as a centre forward could get to score. However, it was probably the only clear cut chance he's been given to score for 270 or more minutes which just isn't acceptable from the rest of the team. I occasionally play upfront in Sunday League and it is so difficult to craft a goal from loose balls and half chances against an organised defence, that's when you need your midfield to step up and pick you out or open up a space.

It remains to be seen whether he can perform for us and I'd hoped he would grab games by the scruff of the neck a little more than he has, but it's obvious he has ability and we need to find a way to use it.

How did Fulham and Leeds get the best out of McCormack?

If I was Bruce I'd be looking at a few videos or contacting the managers of those clubs at the time McCormack was there to get advice as clearly Bruce doesn't know what to do with him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, striker said:

How did Fulham and Leeds get the best out of McCormack?

If I was Bruce I'd be looking at a few videos or contacting the managers of those clubs at the time McCormack was there to get advice as clearly Bruce doesn't know what to do with him.

I was thrilled we got Ross in although I fear he may well not fit in with the Bruce system  - wouldn't be surprised if he is sold in the summer .

12 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

He's proven at this level, the rest are proven wastes of oxygen at any level. I don't get the criticism of him, to me he looks a bit like Angel first season, on a different wavelengths to the rest.

14 hours ago, villa89 said:

He looks like a player who wants to pass the ball to someone and then have them pass it back to him. This is Aston villa, we don't do that here.  

Agree with both posts above. McCormack is a football player surrounded by idiots that cannot pass a football. I genuinely believe that once we have a better midfield, McCormack will be more important to the team than Kodjia. 

Our midfield is so poor at the moment that the only type of forward that is going to succeed is the sort that is going to do it all himself, ie a Kodjia. As soon as we get a cohesive midfield that pass a ball and create for others, we will rely less on Kodjia's (one man show) skill set, and more on McCormack's passing abilities. 

21 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Leeds and Fulham are doing a lot better without him, showing that changing an entire system to suite one player isn't always the best thing to do. 

If by changing an entire system to suit him, you mean buying a few players that can pass a football, i don't mind that in the slightest. 

17 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

He isn't very good. 

But he is though. He's proven it at this level in the previous few seasons. He's shit so far but I put that down to us not having a midfield. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

But he is though. He's proven it at this level in the previous few seasons. He's shit so far but I put that down to us not having a midfield. 

I don't.  I don't think he's a very good striker and he doesn't do enough on the pitch.  We have no focal point and he can't be that player.  Kodja is a much much better striker.  I think Mcormack is a bit Darren Bent to be honest.  

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I don't.  I don't think he's a very good striker and he doesn't do enough on the pitch.  We have no focal point and he can't be that player.  Kodja is a much much better striker.  I think Mcormack is a bit Darren Bent to be honest.  

A good striker scores goals and McCormack has proved he can do that. He doesn't have the presense or the pace of Kodjia but he's a better link up player.

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I'd agree if he wasn't the best Championship scorer of the last few years. 

He's got the best footballing brain of any attacking players that we have (including midfielders). His lack of pace means that he needs to be in a pair, and needs pace around him, but he can bring others into the game and set attacks going. The problem with this is you need a very specific group of players around him to make everything work, and I don't think we have those at the moment - most of our attackers like to dribble with their heads down, where McCormack's syle suits fast, direct players. I think McCormack and Kodjia could be a great partnership, but without 'proper' wingers and a center midfielder who can actually make a pass reach its intended target, McCormack is always going to look like a fish out of water. 

He isn't word class; there are reasons why he's always been in The Championship, but he has the ability to be good if you play him correctly. I don't think he's been utilised properly since he signed for us, so it's harsh to say he is rubbish and needs to be sold. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Absolutely nothing like him.

Â