Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

19 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Right, so thanks for confirming, all speculation and assumption based on rumours then.

Might be true, might not, might be partially true, we don't know, but certainly not facts as you were alluding to earlier. 

Thanks for clarifying.

Well no. He did go on loan to the A League rather than be used here. He did not turn up to training because of his gate. He has been spotted out in Birmingham drunk out of his mind. Bruce did state everyone would get a clean slate when he arrived.
None of that is speculation.

The only bit that is speculation is the turning up to training drunk. I'll happily admit that is a rumour.

That's a lot of evidence pointing towards that explanation.

He's also had disciplinary action taken against him because of his lack of fitness. That's not specualtion either.
And, despite apparently being so good and only being left out of the team because of a petty personal problem, nobody has wanted to sign him. We're desperate to get rid of him, yet nobody wants him. How come a striker that is so good, and is available, isn't wanted by anyone?

The only evidence that he is only being left out because Bruce has a petty personal problem with him is... well people just deciding it in this thread as far as I can see.
He's basically another Micah Richards. Yet for some reason Ross isn't as vilified as Micah. I'm not sure why. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Bruce gets blamed for Micah Richards too.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps Bruce is partly responsible for a breakdown in relations and anyone speculating that to be the case is just exploring the idea that amends might be made, rather than looking for another excuse to shoot Bruce down, they simply would be open to the inclusion of a player more than capable at this level.

I think it just as possible that McCormack was thrown under the bus because the media inquired as to his exclusion from the side and supporters want to make sense of why he hasn't been a success story.

Let's be real here, McCormack wouldn't be the first professional footballer to indulge. Ronaldinho is one of the greatest to grace the game and he had issues with missing training and partying. I'm not condoning it by any means, but I also don't necessarily believe it to be a problem as grave as can be perceived. If McCormack prioritises the drink and compromises his duty to the club more often than not, then things are understandably as they are and Bruce can't include Ross.

As for no one in the country touching him, I imagine when he made his big move to Villa his wages would have taken a healthy raise from what he was on elsewhere. Based on the content of this thread I think it premature to conclude that he was not wanted by other clubs in this division.

I personally don't see a petty conflict of personality being any less likely than a serious display of negligence on McCormack's behalf.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Being as you've got your knickers in a twist and claiming that I'm somehow twisting this all as being some kind of perceived anti-Bruce rhetoric here's what you wrote:

"whatever is there between him and Bruce is now petty, personal and pathetic" 

I'm not twisting anything, you clearly wrote that you think it's petty and personal and all I've tried to do is argue that it is not for all the reasons stated by myself and others. If you want to feel like I'm twisting your words that's you're prerogative but I'd suggest that you clearly wrote (and therefore seemingly believe) SB to be at fault for the current situation. 

We'll leave it there if it makes you happy but being as I'm getting accused of twisting words I thought it relevant to repost your exact words. 

For clarity and for at least the tenth time, i said SB and Ross are both at fault. Not just SB. (the 'him' in the quote above is McCormack if that wasn't obvious)

That is all i am referring to in my responses to you as you make it sound like I am only blaming Steve Bruce, you repeat the 'petty and personal' thing like i am stating Bruce and Bruce alone is being petty and personal whereas I am saying the nature of their (both parties) falling out is petty and personal.

You believe it is all down to Ross and that Bruce has done nothing wrong, that is a perfectly valid opinion that you are entitled to. I don't agree in full with that, that is my opinion and I am entitled to that.

likening someone to Donald Trump is as low as it gets and completely unnecessary, i have not once insulted you, I am not trying to prove your argument wrong or mine right, just literally pointing out that you seem to think I am solely blaming Bruce when at no point have i said that.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Well no. He did go on loan to the A League rather than be used here. He did not turn up to training because of his gate. He has been spotted out in Birmingham drunk out of his mind. Bruce did state everyone would get a clean slate when he arrived.
None of that is speculation.

The only bit that is speculation is the turning up to training drunk. I'll happily admit that is a rumour.

That's a lot of evidence pointing towards that explanation.

He's also had disciplinary action taken against him because of his lack of fitness. That's not specualtion either.
And, despite apparently being so good and only being left out of the team because of a petty personal problem, nobody has wanted to sign him. We're desperate to get rid of him, yet nobody wants him. How come a striker that is so good, and is available, isn't wanted by anyone?

The only evidence that he is only being left out because Bruce has a petty personal problem with him is... well people just deciding it in this thread as far as I can see.
He's basically another Micah Richards. Yet for some reason Ross isn't as vilified as Micah. I'm not sure why. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Bruce gets blamed for Micah Richards too.

Has he? Link please? Source?

I don't think this is as black or white as some seem to be implying. For me both Bruce and RMC share blame on this one. 

Regarding Ross.

It is well known that he has struggled with Drink issues, and for whatever reason hasn't had enough about him to knuckle down and force the manager to change his opinion of him. And if the rumours of turning up for training drunk are true, then it just beggers belief really.

Regarding Bruce

It's not like he has given Ross numerous chances, he seemed to have washed his hands with Ross at a very early stage. Yes Ross had issues, but almost ever manager who he has played for has managed the guy in way that has saw him score lots of goals at this level, Bruce wasn't capable or willing to do that. 

It's a shitty situation and both of the idiots deserve criticism for it. 

If Ross has been that much of a knobber with being drunk in training an disciplinary issues, why have they not just terminated his contract due to unprofessional behaviour. Bit more to this story than we know.

Although a pal saw him propped up in a bar in Mere Green, pissed as a fart. he said he didn't want to attract his attention, as apparently he's quite a big lad and thought it might kick off. So the rumours he had a drink problem are probably true.

3 hours ago, av1 said:

I don't think this is as black or white as some seem to be implying. For me both Bruce and RMC share blame on this one. 

Regarding Ross.

It is well known that he has struggled with Drink issues, and for whatever reason hasn't had enough about him to knuckle down and force the manager to change his opinion of him. And if the rumours of turning up for training drunk are true, then it just beggers belief really.

Regarding Bruce

It's not like he has given Ross numerous chances, he seemed to have washed his hands with Ross at a very early stage. Yes Ross had issues, but almost ever manager who he has played for has managed the guy in way that has saw him score lots of goals at this level, Bruce wasn't capable or willing to do that. 

It's a shitty situation and both of the idiots deserve criticism for it. 

Totally agree - I just can't fathom why Bruce will not hold out the olive branch to Ross in the same way he did with another unfit and misfiring striker ( funny some choose to overlook similarities in circumstances but moving on ) If Ross's circumstances as alluded to on here are drink related-  why oh why is he not being supported through this ? I actually have more empathy should this be the case.

crikey with the right  support we could yet have a 15-20 goal a season striker on our hands - it just makes little sense not to try 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Totally agree - I just can't fathom why Bruce will not hold out the olive branch to Ross in the same way he did with another unfit and misfiring striker ( funny some choose to overlook similarities in circumstances but moving on ) If Ross's circumstances as alluded to on here are drink related-  why oh why is he not being supported through this ? I actually have more empathy should this be the case.

crikey with the right  support we could yet have a 15-20 goal a season striker on our hands - it just makes little sense not to try 

Maybe because one misfiring striker has worked hard and shown willing and the other showed nothing but contempt for the club? 

Has anyone seen his fastest to 13 goals for Melbourne. 

4 penalties

4 horribly defended free kicks

3 far post unmarked tap ins

A-league quality is like SPL few Championship level teams and most absolute dross

Edited by Kiwivillan

23 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Pretty sure I've responded to this exact comment about a year ago but the olive branch WAS handed out in much the same way as it was to your favourite player, it's just one of them upped their game, trained hard, got fit, lost weight and actually made an effort to rectify his mistakes, the other one is Ross McCormack, who did none of those things, even skipping training with an excuse on a par with "the dog ate my homework" and continued in much the same way. However, despite that was still brought back into the team the following season, given his chance in pre season, where the whole purpose is to get fit and ready for the upcoming season, and CONTINUED showing zero effort or interest in playing, clearly nowhere near fit to play, before being dropped again and shipped out on loan to a league no better than league 2 (at best) where he scored a few penalties and generally failed to achieve much at a standard where if he had any chance of contributing to our team he should be absolutely destroying

Where is the evidence that he isn't being supported? Have you ever heard the expression "you can't help people that won't help themselves"?

Anyway, I'll be back in this thread later to respond to you demanding to know why Ross McCormack hasn't been given another chance when Gabby was

10 hours ago, sne said:

Says on transfermarkt that he has a contract til' 2020, is that correct?

If so this one really is the worst signing in club history by a country mile.

2020 is definitely correct. :blush:

Terrible signing. Nobody's fault but his either. The club, manager and fans were all perfectly entitled to get something better out of one of this leagues top scorers. He can still fix it. Apologise and get back in training to earn a place back in the side. Dont like Steve Bruce? Force your way back in by working harder.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave J said:

Why ? He is implicated in the scenario whether you like it or not 

Just leave it Dave. We could post a picture of Ross guzzling a can of special brew at BMH spewing his ring up with Bruce holding his hair back, and you would still say, Oh but why aren't the club doing anything.

Countless people who know the score, even our own Trent Villa has said Bruce has no blame here what so ever.

The club has done everything and offered him everything. He's a drunk and a busted flush. He doesn't want help.

8 hours ago, weedman said:

Pretty sure I've responded to this exact comment about a year ago but the olive branch WAS handed out in much the same way as it was to your favourite player, it's just one of them upped their game, trained hard, got fit, lost weight and actually made an effort to rectify his mistakes, the other one is Ross McCormack, who did none of those things, even skipping training with an excuse on a par with "the dog ate my homework" and continued in much the same way. However, despite that was still brought back into the team the following season, given his chance in pre season, where the whole purpose is to get fit and ready for the upcoming season, and CONTINUED showing zero effort or interest in playing, clearly nowhere near fit to play, before being dropped again and shipped out on loan to a league no better than league 2 (at best) where he scored a few penalties and generally failed to achieve much at a standard where if he had any chance of contributing to our team he should be absolutely destroying

Where is the evidence that he isn't being supported? Have you ever heard the expression "you can't help people that won't help themselves"?

Anyway, I'll be back in this thread later to respond to you demanding to know why Ross McCormack hasn't been given another chance when Gabby was

So McCormack goes to the other side of the world to play in a league - that literally was a hiding to nothing for him - now regardless of the standard he MUST have regained his fitness levels - I'm sure you would agree this much?

He then returns to the UK and promptly gets despatched into the wilderness for 2 weeks off - never to be seen again.

Fantastic handling of a delicate situation by our superb man manager. 

It takes two people to have a dispute and the same two people to resolve it.

The way I see it now - is that's it's gone way beyond reparation - but in the fullness of time I think most will arrive at the conclusion this was handled badly by both sides 

Is he an alcoholic in the "true" (for want of a much better term) sense of the word?

It doesn't seem to me like he's dependent - he presumably turns up to training and doesn't drink whilst there (special brew in his sports bottle etc). I can't imagine he's sat at home surrounded by empty cans literally drinking his days away as I'm sure this would have come out by now. Reports of him being seen in Birmingham "out of his mind" doesn't neccesarily tally with alcoholism either. In my (admittedly brief) experience of it, the idea of that person going out to get hammered was never the case - it was always "stay home, drink. Rinse and repeat" The paranoia and shame of being seen publically to have a problem stopped her going out. As a sportsman, McCormack may well have the same fear.

He's a binge drinker who has the taste for it and a taste for the buzz of that first few drinks. Which is incredibly serious, but it's not alcoholism imo

Â