Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

People want to believe it is all down to McCormack and maybe it is, but statements like 'can't help those that don't want to be helped' are speculation unless you know the guy personally.

But you're making out that SB could end all of this and have him back firing if he just dropped his 'personal issue' with him.

Unless you know SB is that not speculation?!?!?!

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Just think about the lack of noise that's come from McCormack since.

Think about that and tell me he's in any way shape or form seemingly interested in reviving his career.

For me, any sort of even mediocre professional will have been in the news talking about their frustrations at a lack of chances, he's said nothing. That in itself speaks volumes.

I don't even know why I'm bothering, if SB is even remotely involved in the equation it's his fault right? 

So, unlike Bruce, he did not go to the press, he just went to Australia and scored goals.

• Like 1

RMC is probably up there with Collymore in terms of players i was massively excited about, who then didn't live up to my hopes.

I remember when Collymore signed, i was absolutely convinced we were going to win the league, as a top quality forward was (imo) all we was really missing at the time.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Just think about the lack of noise that's come from McCormack since.

Think about that and tell me he's in any way shape or form seemingly interested in reviving his career.

For me, any sort of even mediocre professional will have been in the news talking about their frustrations at a lack of chances, he's said nothing. That in itself speaks volumes.

Alan Hutton was silent during his 12-18 months on the sidelines. He was roundly praised on his return.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Or maybe RM does not want to air his personal issues in public. I know I wouldn’t.

I’m not absolving RM of any blame here. I do know however, that certain members of the Villa management team have been very unsympathetic to the issues faced by RM. 

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But you're making out that SB could end all of this and have him back firing if he just dropped his 'personal issue' with him.

Unless you know SB is that not speculation?!?!?!

No-one has made out that he would come back ‘firing’. The point, that has been made over and over and over, but you seem to be ignoring, is that Bruce has not tried, or by the looks of it, even considered to try, to get the best out of him.

He’s one of our most expensive players in recent times, and probably one of the most profilic strikers in this league ever, and instead we’ve had to rely on an unfit Kodjia, a mis-used Hogan and a handful of inexperienced youngsters.

• Like 3

For me I struggle to think that a club like Aston Villa who would have access  to the country's leading sports physchologists - Mental health practitioners - Sports nutrionists - the list here would be endless, cannot get to the bottom of whatever issues persist - before the Ross doubters pile in to say that you can take a horse to water etc - it's worth remembering that he did fly across the world to play in a hostile and uncompromising league and which in reality offered very little in return - he did ok out there but because of the standard of football in the A league - he had not much to gain - personally I think he did enough to warrant a further opportunity - Bruce has form for offering olive branches to certain players, why not Ross - who must surely have thought this as well.

i'm not absolving Ross in any way whatsoever - I just don't think we are good enough to cast a player of his quality under the bus.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

So, unlike Bruce, he did not go to the press, he just went to Australia and scored goals.

He got dropped one game for turning up for training hours late. A-league standard is shite.  One of Wellington's best player probably and still club leading goal scorer was 29 year old Paul Ifill when he joined in 2009. Most of Ross goals were penalties and free kicks

Edited by Kiwivillan

It's amazing how good McCormack has become since he hasn't been playing.

The guy got offered numerous chances. He didn't take them. He clearly has massive problems off the pitch and he has never looked up to it in a Villa shirt.

This is not a stick to beat Bruce with. McCormack is crap, his attitude stinks and he's allegedly a disruptive influence. He is not the answer. Stop scratching around for more ways to criticise the manager. There are enough legitimate reasons without crowbarring everything into a Bruce out argument.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's amazing how good McCormack has become since he hasn't been playing.

The guy got offered numerous chances. He didn't take them. He clearly has massive problems off the pitch and he has never looked up to it in a Villa shirt.

This is not a stick to beat Bruce with. McCormack is crap, his attitude stinks and he's allegedly a disruptive influence. He is not the answer. Stop scratching around for more ways to criticise the manager. There are enough legitimate reasons without crowbarring everything into a Bruce out argument.

Has he? Genuine question. He got sent to Australia, did OK. Came back and has been on the bench twice since then, both times for short cameos. Not sure where this impression that he has been given numerous chances has come from?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Has he? Genuine question. He got sent to Australia, did OK. Came back and has been on the bench twice since then, both times for short cameos. Not sure where this impression that he has been given numerous chances has come from?

He's been given chances to sort himself out and fight for a place, allegedly, and he hasn't taken them.

This thinking that Bruce is deliberately leaving him out just to be petty is pure speculation.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's been given chances to sort himself out and fight for a place, allegedly, and he hasn't taken them.

This thinking that Bruce is deliberately leaving him out just to be petty is pure speculation.

Ah, I see, so you don't know he has been given multiple chances, you are just assuming. OK. Thanks for clarifying.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

i mean he is deliberately leaving him out, surely it's Bruce's decision based on past indiscretions around fitness/training, poor attitude. I doubt anyone thinks Bruce is being harsh either or doesn't have his reasons. It's just a shame they can't resolve their issues and move on for the good of the club. Obviously that ship has sailed, maybe as part of FFP, Ross is currently a 12mil asset in the eyes of the league and if sold at a massive loss will effect that (sure that has been debated before). 

I hoped that with the clubs financial issues, Bruce would rethink things and try and bring Ross and even Tish back into the fold, but none of us know just how many chances these players have had, how disruptive they are in the dressing room. At least Tish is now on loan. Ross will end up as 20 mil + written off, eventually.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

Would still have no issue with one or the other extending an olive branch and having McCormack available to represent Villa.

There are so many possibilities as to why it is no longer feasible for Ross to join the first team. Having been involved in elite sport for 17 years I could name many a situation where it doesn't work out amicably between the parties involved and someone misses out on a role in the team due to conflict.The team I am potentially about to join for pre-season this month has lost it's head coach of roughly a decade due to conflict between their Import player and him. Someone had to go. I was let go by this head coach about 3 years ago due to falling out of favour on personal terms, I was a top scorer and always maintained a philosophy of either positive or constructive input to discussions, yet I still managed to fall out of favour. Now the club is a division higher and I have been invited back. It would seem Bruce has made his stance regarding McCormack and it's final, and regardless of perceived blame McCormack needs new a new manager or a new club.

I have nothing concrete to base any presumptions on when it comes to McCormack and Bruce, all I gather is that McCormack has some disciplinary issues which I can't attest to.

The only thing that rings true for me is that Steve Bruce took it upon himself to drive to McCormack's house and confront him. Without knowing anything more than that it's hard to ascertain the nature of what transpired but in my view that's pretty inflammatory and I don't see how that would ever bode well if the intention was always to give McCormack a serving for his absence at his private property.

McCormack can play at this level, without doubt, it would seem like Bruce really wanted him to do just that for Villa, if he is rocking up to his house. I've only ever been met at my home by invitation or if without notice, for the celebration of good news. Mind you I don't miss training but I have played with those who do and I have never come across it as a means to deliver the ultimatum or work things through. I can't see how it was a good idea from Bruce, if he wanted an improvement anyway.

I have put up with 'asshole' coaches who are nothing short of abusive, and I can tolerate them as long as it's during the allocated hours at the agreed upon location.

Regardless of any toxic behaviours that McCormack displays I don't know what Bruce was doing going to McCormack's house. Like that was going to solve the issue.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Ah, I see, so you don't know he has been given multiple chances, you are just assuming. OK. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm going by Bruce stating when he joined the club that everyone would get a clean slate.

I'm going by the numerous rumours of Ross having a drink problem.

I'm going by the numerous sightings of Ross McCormack out in birmingham drunk out of his mind.

I'm going by him allegedly turning up to training drunk.

I'm going by the infamous gate incident.

I'm going by the fact that rather get used in the squad, he was shipped out on loan. And nobody in this country would touch him so he had to go to the A-League to get any game time.

But yeah, I'm sure that rather than the perfectly plausible explanation that the guy was given a chance, hasn't taken it and is now unwanted due to his attitude and off field problems and us having four other better options at Striker... the ACTUAL reason he's not playing is that despite still being one of the best strikers in the Championship Bruce just has a petty personal problem with him.

I mean I just can't decide which is more plausible.

The guy was a dud signing, made by the previous manager, with problems off the field.
But sure. it's all Bruce's fault.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

i mean he is deliberately leaving him out, surely it's Bruce's decision based on past indiscretions around fitness/training, poor attitude. I doubt anyone thinks Bruce is being harsh either or doesn't have his reasons. It's just a shame they can't resolve their issues and move on for the good of the club. Obviously that ship has sailed, just a shame. 

I hoped that with the clubs financial issues, Bruce would rethink things and try and bring Ross and even Tish back into the fold, but none of us know just how many chances these players have had, how disruptive they are in the dressing room. At least Tish is now on loan. Ross will end up as 20 mil + written off.

Ross aside, Tshibola is an absolutely dreadful player. That's the only reason he's not being brought back into the fold. He's shit.

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm going by Bruce stating when he joined the club that everyone would get a clean slate.

I'm going by the numerous rumours of Ross having a drink problem.

I'm going by the numerous sightings of Ross McCormack out in birmingham drunk out of his mind.

I'm going by him allegedly turning up to training drunk.

I'm going by the infamous gate incident.

I'm going by the fact that rather get used in the squad, he was shipped out on loan. And nobody in this country would touch him so he had to go to the A-League to get any game time.

But yeah, I'm sure that rather than the perfectly plausible explanation that the guy was given a chance, hasn't taken it and is now unwanted due to his attitude and off field problems and us having four other better options at Striker... the ACTUAL reason he's not playing is that despite still being one of the best strikers in the Championship Bruce just has a petty personal problem with him.

I mean I just can't decide which is more plausible.

The guy was a dud signing, made by the previous manager, with problems off the field.
But sure. it's all Bruce's fault.

Right, so thanks for confirming, all speculation and assumption based on rumours then.

Might be true, might not, might be partially true, we don't know, but certainly not facts as you were alluding to earlier. 

Thanks for clarifying.

By the way, where did I mention or blame Bruce?

Edited by TheStagMan

Â