Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You'll get used to it, he had an obsession with me too at one time and again this season everytime I commented on Tuanzebe thread, low and behold he would respond.

I found it flattering.  :)

I am sure he means well?

I'm really flattered that you guys like to talk about me so much.

If you like me so much just ask me for my number. I'm really friendly.

I'll dress up like Rafa for you.

• Haha 3

The reality is McCormack is now over 30, not in best condition with his off field issues, hasn't played serious level football for two years (Aussie league is league one standard from what I've seen) so why some still call for him to come back is an odd one to me.

We overpaid for someone we've struggled ever since to fit into the team (same as Hogan) and to me I'd rather move on to players like Abraham and Bolaise who can contribute going forward.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

The reality is McCormack is now over 30, not in best condition with his off field issues, hasn't played serious level football for two years (Aussie league is league one standard from what I've seen) so why some still call for him to come back is an odd one to me.

We overpaid for someone we've struggled ever since to fit into the team (same as Hogan) and to me I'd rather move on to players like Abraham and Bolaise who can contribute going forward.

Yeah but what you've done here is used common sense. That's your problem.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I could not agree more - the liklehood of Ross wearing the claret and Blue again gets more and more remote by the day.

I have only ever said that in my opinion his transgressions whatever they might be -  are no worse than others before him and who were subsequently given the olive branch.

I also find it odd that as a club - we seem to be ok with the fact we have two big money earners kicking their heels - now whether VT rate them or not is immaterial - should we not be using whatever means available to try and get them back to work?

Maybe VT should close this thread if it upsets some? - I certainly don't bump it - I just respond with my thoughts that have, and will remain the same regardless.

He was a terrible signing, it was as though RDM and his team simply looked at the stats rather than his all round game and suitability. He never looked that good for us either, some decent flashes yes, but he was poor in front of goal and the sitter he missed on his debut away to Sheffield Wednesday set the tone for what was to come. 

Whilst I do think there's been occasions where he'd have been 'useful' to have around, I doubt he would have made much of a difference at the margin.

• Like 1

McCormack only works in a team which is entirely geared around him. He’s been top scorer for Leeds and for Fulham... but why didn’t those teams do well with him in the side?

Because although he is a goal threat he’s flawed as a player and to put him first is at the expense of the balance of the side and others in that side.

Just my opinion of course, but I wouldn’t have him back at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

McCormack only works in a team which is entirely geared around him. He’s been top scorer for Leeds and for Fulham... but why didn’t those teams do well with him in the side?

Because although he is a goal threat he’s flawed as a player and to put him first is at the expense of the balance of the side and others in that side.

Just my opinion of course, but I wouldn’t have him back at all.

I wouldn't argue with pretty much most of what you say here - I don't think he is a flawed player in terms of his ability though - I actually think he is an intelligent player imo

??

• Like 1

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/mccormack-set-for-the-mariners-512674

MCCORMACK SET FOR THE MARINERS

Out-of-favour Aston Villa striker Ross McCormack is set to join Central Coast Mariners on loan for next season, according to reports in the UK.

The Championship side are said to have signed off on the move with just the finer points to be ironed out before McCormack is unveiled in Gosford next week, according to the Daily Mail.

McCormack was last seen in Australia on loan to Melbourne City where he was an injury replacement for Bruno Fornaroli last season.

The 32 year old Scot put in a blistering shift while in the A-League, scoring 14 goals from 16 games – but was allowed to leave in January as soon as Fornaroli was fit again.

He returned to Villa to try to fight for his place in the team...but hasn't even been issued with a squad number this season after falling out with Villa manager Steve Bruce over his fitness and training schedule.

He was even dropped by City for one game last November after he was said to have been "exceptionally late for training".

City have since signed McCormack's Villa team-mate Ritchie de Laet on loan as a marquee star for this season.

Now though the Mariners are close to announcing the deal to bring McCormack back to Australia and bolster their side as they aim to avoid back to back wooden spoons.

The club has been mired in controversy over the decision to bring in world record 100m sprint superstar Usain Bolt on trial.

But the addition of McCormack would add genuine quality to the yellow and navy attack.

He signed for Villa from Fulham for $20m just two years ago, fresh from an $18m deal that saw him move from Leeds United to Fulham in 2014.

He scored 38 goals in 89 games for the Cottagers after 53 goals in 144 games for the Whites over four seasons.

58 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's 32 now according to that? We really need to stop giving 3-4 year deals for players we sign who are about to hit 30.

If only it were his age that was the problem!

Aston Villa striker Ross McCormack has joined Central Coast Mariners on a season-long loan deal.

The move could see the former Scotland international become team-mates with Olympic sprint champion Usain Bolt. Bolt, 31, played in a pre-season friendly last month and is understood to still be on trial at the Mariners. McCormack, 32, cost Villa £12m when they signed him from Fulham in August 2016 but scored just three goals in 20 league appearances.

He has not featured for them since August 2017 and spent time on loan at A League side Melbourne City last season. Villans team-mate Ritchie de Laet was loaned to Melbourne earlier this month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45582840

:wave:

• Like 1

That's the problem with 4 year deals. Dosen't work out in your first year, outcast and suddenly we're having to loan him out for two seasons until hoping maybe someone will take over his 12 months left next summer. Same for Gil and Tishbola.

Really I'd just give out three year deals for all signings and then quickly extend if they do well first six months, it's stupid at this level with such a high turnover of players every summer to give out more than that.

6 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Seriously though, who wouldn't trade the Holte End for Central Coast Mariners' two giant inflatable bottles of tomato sauce end?

DnfTQfnVYAAqC2r.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmm..... Ketchup. 

Â