Tommy Elphick

Demitri_C

I think Elphick is a good fit for Sunderland. Limited, but a real battling centre back. Similar mould to Tom Clarke who was captain for Preston under Grayson, so I imagine he's looking for that kind of defender. They still have the likes of Kone, O'Shea and Djilobodji so he'll have competition to get in the side. Having said that, Djil couldn't keep his place and O'Shea must be in his 50's now

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

I think Elphick is a good fit for Sunderland. Limited, but a real battling centre back. Similar mould to Tom Clarke who was captain for Preston under Grayson, so I imagine he's looking for that kind of defender. They still have the likes of Kone, O'Shea and Djilobodji so he'll have competition to get in the side. Having said that, Djil couldn't keep his place and O'Shea must be in his 50's now

Browning seems to have gone on loan from Everton and is doing ok in pre season. Kone did ok for Big Sam, atrocious at times last year under Moyes. Djilibodji doesn't inspire much confidence. Mackems I know would still play O'shea. They've got young Paddy McNair there too but he can play more DM. If they keep hold of the likes of him Ndong, Cattermole, Rodwell and Gibson and get some games out of them I can't see them being the pushovers everyone seems to expect them to be. Ndong cost them a lot mind and money is their problem. Short is pretty much doing a Lerner to them at this point. Theyve made a lot selling some keepers but theyre still in massive debt basically and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more leave yet. Lens, Khazri, Kone for instance, but it seems Grayson has gone in there because they'll be compensating Moyes more than they'll be spending on transfers. If Lens goes we may see some movement from them. They are in too much of a mess to be thought of as serious contenders but there's a core of a pretty solid team there imo. Play-offs is still not that unrealistic a concept for me.

Still, facing Elphick in the future doesn't worry me in the slightest, nor should it for where we want to go so whoever, wherever really.

I follow Preston quite closely and think Grayson is the perfect fit. They've not been far off the play offs last 2 seasons and they had the smallest wage budget in the league last season (I imagine it will be embargoed Bolton this season mind)

Surely has to stay now? We cant risk a complete injury situation and only have richards as a cb option. Keep him here for another season. hopefully he can rediscoer his early season form 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Surely has to stay now? We cant risk a complete injury situation and only have richards as a cb option. Keep him here for another season. hopefully he can rediscoer his early season form 

I suspect the club would still like to see both Richards and Elphick gone, given the wages between them. 

I agree with you though and we'd have to bring in more cover, even if it's just a loan. Unless Brice is happy to go with the 3, with RDL and the Jedi as cover? 

Amazing how losing one back up centre half can make you go from thinking we have the best defensive options in the league, to 'hold on, we might be in a bit of trouble here...' 

• 4 weeks later...

Don't think it'd be a bad idea to get him more involved now, especially with Baker leaving. He could be decent backup (we don't have great options or depth at CB imo) especially if his confidence can be restored. Could be more reliable/effective than Samba, who I don't really trust over the course of a whole season tbh.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Don't think it'd be a bad idea to get him more involved now, especially with Baker leaving. He could be decent backup (we don't have great options or depth at CB imo) especially if his confidence can be restored. Could be more reliable/effective than Samba, who I don't really trust over the course of a whole season tbh.

Cup run will be very good for him.

I want to keep him. Doubt we will get much for Elphick, and honestly I feel confident with him over Samba. 

Elphick's body probably won't let him play a full season, so a sub role is probably good for him. 

I can't believe he was our captain at the start of last season, and this year he doesn't feature really at all. He hasn't necessarily done anything wrong. He just didn't work well with chester, then he got hurt. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Really....wheres this been reported?

SKY are reporting we turned down an approach from Sunderland due to Samba's injury.

It's SKY so might very well be BS

7 minutes ago, sne said:

SKY are reporting we turned down an approach from Sunderland due to Samba's injury.

It's SKY so might very well be BS

Doubt it. Be ridiculous to sell elphick with only terry and Chester as cbs

• Like 2

Â