Tommy Elphick

Demitri_C

19 hours ago, skarroki said:

Sounds like he's off to Sunderland with McCormack in a joint deal that can be best described as "significantly less than what we paid"

Where I cant see any links for this?

I respect Elphick and wish him the best.

But he's a terrible defender. 

But we're also a club that's generally terrible at defending. But, he was definitely part of the problem and not the solution.

Confidence issue for me. Not a terrible player, just another of those who couldn't quite handle playing for  Villa and the pressure that comes with it.

Definitely a player who will thrive in a smaller, more lowly club with few realistic expectations of success.

Such as Birmingham City F.C

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of the argument that "playing for Villa comes with pressure?" ... why does it?

We're a mid table Championship club. All you have to do is be half competent and you'll be fine.

I just think we sign a lot of dross really. Or we change managers/systems too much and can't find any continuity. 

24 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm not a fan of the argument that "playing for Villa comes with pressure?" ... why does it?

We're a mid table Championship club. All you have to do is be half competent and you'll be fine.

I just think we sign a lot of dross really. Or we change managers/systems too much and can't find any continuity. 

I think there is a lot of pressure, especially after 12 minutes when the entire holte start groaning at a misplaced pass. I think it's a lot different to playing at a Bournemouth or Barnsley.

• Like 2

I don't think he's awful like the majority on here. He captained Bournemouth to the Prem. He just hasn't done it at all in a Villa shirt. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he moved on and did well again. 

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Think back to how many players and managers you've heard say "I didn't realise how big the club was until I got here" or words to that effect. You here it from opposing players and others too. 

The expectation amongst the fans is high. Higher than most places outside the top 6 in the prem. Forget where we are right now, if you asked the majority of Villa fans where they believe we should be as a club, they (inc myself) would say top 6 in England, challenging for honours. 

I genuniely think it has an effect on players and many aren't prepared for it. 

We do sign some dross though too! :D

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Ross McCormack news is starting to make its way into the papers, I imagine Elphick isn't as big a name so maybe they won't get a wiff of that for another day or two

9 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Ross McCormack news is starting to make its way into the papers, I imagine Elphick isn't as big a name so maybe they won't get a wiff of that for another day or two

Not quite the prolific farter is Elphick.:huh:

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Sunderland transfer targets left out of Aston Villa squad for tour as Bournemouth duo linked Read more at: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-transfer-targets-left-out-of-aston-villa-squad-for-tour-as-bournemouth-duo-linked-1-8664568

Nothing major, just a couple of local links and the loan story about RMC in the Dail Fail 

5 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

f you asked the majority of Villa fans where they believe we should be as a club, they (inc myself) would say top 6 in England, challenging for honours. 

I have been told this too many times by fans of other clubs elbeit not in the last couple of years obviously. 

Elphick started off o.k but it was more a cult hero thing for banging his head against the posts rather than any brilliant defending.

He declined pretty quickly and I do agree there's something in some players not having the mentality to do it infront of big crowds. I remember one early game (maybe Huddersfield) he was dominate early on, vocal then he played a dodgy back pass, the Holte End groaned and he went into his shell a bit for the rest of the game.

At Bournemouth he was their captain as they rose through 2 divisions so any abuse at his mistakes there would've probably seen people thrown out of the ground.

Some players thrive off the crowd whether it's good or bad. Think Elphick has been one who's struggled with that although I really can't say compared to Chester he has a huge amount of ability from what I've seen.

3 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Are Sunderland literally just trying to copy us?

Sign Lescott, get relegated.

Then sign McCormack and Elphick, and surprisingly don't get promoted?

This has been going on for such a long time, I've come to predict everything they do based on what happened to us a year earlier. Yank owner without a clue, check. MON, check. Lescott, check. Relegation, check. Now Elphick and Mcantscoremack, check. Biggest problem they now have is that they still have their clueless yank in charge. 

Â