Tommy Elphick

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I wouldn't boo elphick tbh as long as he respects the fans here when he leaves. 

I expect he will, he seems like a reasonable fella.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skarroki said:

So apparently he'll be gone over the next couple of days. I haven't heard the rumours though, anyone know where he's heading? 

No idea, probably far away, to a young upcoming manager with no ties to Poole Sandbanks.

Just goes to show how a player can be so different at two clubs. I really didn't know much about him when he signed, but the Bournemouth faithful raved about him so much I thought there was a statue of him outside their ground.

Villa was too big for him. He bottled it, lost the captaincy and never recovered.

Will fade away into a did he play for us? memory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villan_007 said:

Just goes to show how a player can be so different at two clubs. I really didn't know much about him when he signed, but the Bournemouth faithful raved about him so much I thought there was a statue of him outside their ground.

Villa was too big for him. He bottled it, lost the captaincy and never recovered.

I agree he couldnt handle the big club mentality so he will fit in perfectly at blose

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Zatman said:

but he is not a prick though 

Yeah i agree, but signing for blose can change you. Remember what yorke said about them being bigger than us? There is also the villa fan Gardner. Hopefulky elphick doesnt say anything stupid to disrespect our club. I have no ill feelings towards him just cant handle playing at a big club.  at present like i said i have mo ill feelings towards him but will be awaiting his comments when he signs for them.

I think he will do well there unless he does an almighty cockup like at Newcastle for us. After that game he was just complete shite for us

14 hours ago, villan_007 said:

I like him and feel sorry for him a bit about the way it's gone here. He's clearly a good character and wanted to do well, but as you say his bottle went a bit and he couldn't get the confidence back. 

I think the injury he had the season before may have limited him a bit physically, but it was a mental thing imo. Shame it didn't work out and a shame he's going to play in that hell hole. Hope someone else comes in for him. 

• Like 4

Yeah I'm not sure he bottled it I just think he's a limited defender and with our lack of scoring a limited defender becomes much more noticeable. 

It hasn't worked out but it seemed a decent signing at the time. As long as he doesn't bad mouth us I've got no problem with him moving to the scum. 

17 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i agree, but signing for blose can change you. Remember what yorke said about them being bigger than us? There is also the villa fan Gardner. Hopefulky elphick doesnt say anything stupid to disrespect our club. I have no ill feelings towards him just cant handle playing at a big club.  at present like i said i have mo ill feelings towards him but will be awaiting his comments when he signs for them.

I think he will do well there unless he does an almighty cockup like at Newcastle for us. After that game he was just complete shite for us

in fairness Yorke was a prick before that

• Haha 1

I feel like letting Elphick go to a rival (if he goes to a Top 10 Chanpionship team) will come back to haunt us. I don't think he's going to suddenly become a 'great' player, but I feel like he's had a slightly rough time here, that he didn't always deserve.

In the same way that Clark was 60% 'okay', 10% 'good' and 20% 'howler' in his time here, I feel like Elphick could go the same way and be a regular in a team that performs better than us.

I don't want to blame the fans, because he was the one who put in a few dreadful performances, but as a fan base we seem to do very little to help our players through their bad patches. I thought in the first 5-7 games of last season he was one of our best players, but a month or so later and he suddenly became enemy number one because of a few mistakes.

Thanks for cutting your honeymoon short for us Tommy, and good luck wherever you end up. (Unless you end up at sha, in which case I hope you accidentally slap Candlewax Face during a press conference and get put in their version of the bomb squad).

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I don't want to blame the fans, because he was the one who put in a few dreadful performances, but as a fan base we seem to do very little to help our players through their bad patches. I thought in the first 5-7 games of last season he was one of our best players, but a month or so later and he suddenly became enemy number one because of a few mistakes.

It frustrates me also but that is the thing for playing for a very big club relative to the level it is playing at and at this level fans expectations are obviously high and patience runs thin both with players and managers. That is no different to any club though.and you go into Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal etc where you are expected to be competing at the top end of the Prem and if you aren't cutting it supporters will quickly get on to players backs. Those that can handle that and come through it are the players that will ultimately consistently play for the biggest clubs.

This isn't just a critcizm of Elphick as I think a number of players who have come to the club over the last year have''t been able to adjust quickly to the step up from a much smaller club to one with the big fan base we have and the expectation of the supporters. Elphick came from Bournemouth, Hourihane from Barnsley, Hogan from Brentford even Lansbury from Forest won't have experienced the expectation levels at this club. All have looked a shadow of the players they looked at the clubs they came from and I think a lot of that is down to handling playing for a big club and the expectation and pressure that comes with it.

I think that is the main reason why we have signed the players we have. Terry, Samba, Whlean all vastly experienced, all with good leadership qualities. They won't be overawed by playing for us. In fact they will feed off that expectation and embrace it and by doing so will hopefully influence and bring out the best in others.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Â