Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

51 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

But he didn't hold the fort. He ran up the white flag and surrendered it.

And even when the flag pole was broken, he still persisted with trying to make it work. To literally zero avail.

3 hours ago, villa_southerner said:

Good afternoon! As expected Clarke and Bond have come in along with Di Matteo.

Happy with that wealth of experience between them both, Not rocket science but they are looking at a Barton Esque signing in the middle of the park someone to put his foot in and galvanise the squad.

at last.

.....but it was rocket science for them that couldn't see it....namely at B6

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Richard said:

With two ex boggies managers now appointed to try and turn us around can it officially put to bed the utter garbage that we do not like managers because of where they come from?

RDM while not universally popular as a choice,  seems to have raised spirits with the only resevations around whether he can construct a football club from the roots up and his length of time served at other clubs

Steve Clarke seems to be a unanimously popular appointment.

Not one whiff of a "we dont want these because they managed boggies".

True to a degree, I would still prefer not to have SHA associated people at the club though. The others don't bother me too much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

True to a degree, I would still prefer not to have SHA associated people at the club though. The others don't bother me too much.

I totally agree- whilst Villa-Albion has always been very, very, competitive I've never felt the same levels of vitriol and dare I say unacceptable levels of hatred as that exists in some quarters  between Villa - Blues and therefore taking an ex- Albion manager does not generate the same levels of disdain amongst us, in fact if we took a current Albion manger I think most of us would just view this as someone taking a promotion at work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I personally could not give a **** where a manager, coach or player are from as long as they are right for the club. 

Exactly. The whole issue of TSM was that he had just taken the other lot down and had blatantly come to us to help cut costs and just try to keep Villa in the division. Which in fairness he did but not after some awful football and massively lowering the expectations of the football club of which we have yet to recover from. On a personal level I am sure he was a decent guy but he signed up to the start of Lerner's white flag policy. Which finally has now ended. As for RDM I don't care in the slightest he managed Albion.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, heid3ster said:

If we were still in the Premier League, this would be a very impressive backroom staff team. In the Championship, it's phenomenal.

I really don't get this - Sacked by Albion, rejected by Blues, 16 months employment in around 5 years. I bet he can't believe his luck that Villa have brought him in from the wilderness. 

Just now, hippo said:

I really don't get this - Sacked by Albion, rejected by Blues, 16 months employment in around 5 years. I bet he can't believe his luck that Villa have brought him in from the wilderness. 

Yet in 16 months led MK dons to play offs, got a promotion, won champions league and led schalke to 6th.

Some dont even achieve that in 16 years employment let alone 16 months

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yet in 16 months led MK dons to play offs, got a promotion, won champions league and led schalke to 6th.

Some dont even achieve that in 16 years employment let alone 16 months

Respect for what he did at MK dons - think they are the only club he hasn't been sacked from.

22 minutes ago, hippo said:

Respect for what he did at MK dons - think they are the only club he hasn't been sacked from.

Schalke ... He hasn't exactly managed a pile of clubs you know.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hippo said:

There's very few managers who have not been sacked. Sacking doesn't necessarily mean crap. Big Ron was not carp nor was little nor Vic Crowe or Tony Barton or clough (Brian).

sacked (or forced out ala Gregory) doesn't make you shit (apart from mcleish).

pearson was also sacked as was moyes but you'd have them even though they achieved less than RDM? Go figure!! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ccfcman said:

Schalke ... He hasn't exactly managed a pile of clubs you know.

Don't know why people keep mentioning the job he done at Schalke getting them from 11th to 6th as if it was a big achievement.

Yes they were 11th when he took over but were 5 points off 6th with only 7 games played and had excellent players.  They had made the CL the previous 4 years as well.  He got them to 3rd by February and then capitulated, winning only 2 out of the remaining 10 games leaving them down in 6th.  His time at Schalke was nothing to boast about.

• Like 1

Just now, HeyAnty said:

Don't know why people keep mentioning the job he done at Schalke getting them from 11th to 6th as if it was a big achievement.

Yes they were 11th when he took over but were 5 points off 6th with only 7 games played and had excellent players.  They had made the CL the previous 4 years as well.  He got them to 3rd by February and then capitulated, winning only 2 out of the remaining 10 games leaving them down in 6th.  His time at Schalke was nothing to boast about.

Context please. It was guessed he had been sacked by all clubs bar MK Dons, which simply isn't true. I also said nothing of his achievements, though I do find the constant need to downgrade his ability or achievements as rather galling.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ccfcman said:

Context please. It was guessed he had been sacked by all clubs bar MK Dons, which simply isn't true. I also said nothing of his achievements, though I do find the constant need to downgrade his ability or achievements as rather galling.

Apologies, i was meaning to reply to Demetri post above yours.  Im also not downgrading his achievements at Schalke, just pointing out people are making it out something that it isnt.

Edited by HeyAnty

Just now, HeyAnty said:

Apologies, i was meaning to reply to Demetri post above yours

No harm done.

It's also worth noting, everyone gets sacked by Chelsea, so it's hardly like it counts anyway. 

• Like 1

Â