Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

49 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Apologies, i was meaning to reply to Demetri post above yours.  Im also not downgrading his achievements at Schalke, just pointing out people are making it out something that it isnt.

6th is certainly better than him finishing 15th mate as thats what could have happened. People are keen to highlight RDMs failures but then when someone says he did well by finishing 6th thats dismissed just like his CL. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

6th is certainly better than him finishing 15th mate as thats what could have happened. People are keen to highlight RDMs failures but then when someone says he did well by finishing 6th thats dismissed just like his CL. 

They had finished in CL spot 4 years in a row previous and were one of the biggest spenders in the German league.  They were never going to finish 15th.  6th was no big achievement with them, even if you think taking them over in 11th place after 7 games was a massive jump when they were only 5 pts beind 6th and one of the biggest squads in the league.

6 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

They had finished in CL spot 4 years in a row previous and were one of the biggest spenders in the German league.  They were never going to finish 15th.  6th was no big achievement with them, even if you think taking them over in 11th place after 7 games was a massive jump when they were only 5 pts beind 6th and one of the biggest squads in the league.

Erm what happened to us??? One of the biggest spenders and we finished bottom!

7 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

In any given season there are 5-6 teams who could realistically finish above Schalke. Whilst 6th isn't anything to boast about it's not exactly terrible either is it?

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sexbelowsound said:

In any given season there are 5-6 teams who could finish above Schalke. Whilst 6th isn't anything to boast about it's not exactly terrible either is it?

I didnt say it was.  I said he wasnt anything to boast about regards his management ability.

Edited by HeyAnty

Also at Schalke had to deal with a squad containing some proper bell ends in Boateng, Sidney Sam & Höger who the club ended up suspending towards the end of the season.

This to me is a good thing as he'll likely wan't to avoid another situation like that and thus will ship out Gabby, Bacuna, Lescott, Richards etc first chance he gets.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I didnt say it was.  I said he wasnt anything to boast about regards his management ability.

No one is boasting it is, but its still not bad to have on your CV that you finished 6th in German league

41 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Sure there's some people out there who thought the same about Villa the season we finished 9th.

As a manager coming into a new job with a massive task on, where exactly do you even begin, I imagine most players are off on their holidays, so there's no one to really talk to regards contract terminations etc, and no one to train or implement systems etc.

What do you actually do? I guess you wait for takeover to happen, then finalise any deals you've set up? I've literally no clue what a manager does in pre-season mid takeover limbo.

13 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

As a manager coming into a new job with a massive task on, where exactly do you even begin, I imagine most players are off on their holidays, so there's no one to really talk to regards contract terminations etc, and no one to train or implement systems etc.

What do you actually do? I guess you wait for takeover to happen, then finalise any deals you've set up? I've literally no clue what a manager does in pre-season mid takeover limbo.

The same thing most managers do in pre-season which is plan for the future cause there is very little to really do now. What RDM will be using this time for is to look at players to sign in July while also likely watching a ton of our performances last season. Most managers at this time of year can almost chill a bit like the players do, but they also have the luxury of seeing their team play last season. So while it may seem some teams are getting ahead by signing pre-deals now, we're not that far behind if at all. Now if the takeover takes until July or later to get ratified then we have an issue, but right now this pre-season is no different really to any other club that just got a new manager. 

• Like 1

But what does Di Matteo have to do to make sure that Villa don't follow the example of former Premier League clubs Charlton Athletic and Bolton Wanderers - both of whom will be plying their trade in League One next season? Simple: clear out the foreign under-performers and focus on nurturing the top quality talent at the club.

People may argue that you need experience to navigate the choppy waters of the Championship, but that is not really an option for Aston Villa in their current state. From Jores Okore's refusal to play, to Gabby Agbonlahor's clubbing antics, to Joleon Lescott's wildly inappropriate relegation comments - the big names at the club have proven themselves unworthy both on and off the field.

Injury-hit left-back Jordan Amavi has been linked with Liverpool in the last week (as well as AC Milan, Lyon and Nice), and fans will be hoping that this is the start of a major clear out of foreign stars who just haven't cut the mustard at Villa Park this season.

Stumbled on this today. Has anybody got any idea who this joker is?

http://tonyruik.com/a-return-to-youth-for-roberto-di-matteo-could-seal-aston-villas-premier-league-return/

I agree with giving youth a chance but just have a read. It'll make you chuckle!!

39 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

But what does Di Matteo have to do to make sure that Villa don't follow the example of former Premier League clubs Charlton Athletic and Bolton Wanderers - both of whom will be plying their trade in League One next season? Simple: clear out the foreign under-performers and focus on nurturing the top quality talent at the club.

People may argue that you need experience to navigate the choppy waters of the Championship, but that is not really an option for Aston Villa in their current state. From Jores Okore's refusal to play, to Gabby Agbonlahor's clubbing antics, to Joleon Lescott's wildly inappropriate relegation comments - the big names at the club have proven themselves unworthy both on and off the field.

Injury-hit left-back Jordan Amavi has been linked with Liverpool in the last week (as well as AC Milan, Lyon and Nice), and fans will be hoping that this is the start of a major clear out of foreign stars who just haven't cut the mustard at Villa Park this season.

Stumbled on this today. Has anybody got any idea who this joker is?

http://tonyruik.com/a-return-to-youth-for-roberto-di-matteo-could-seal-aston-villas-premier-league-return/

I agree with giving youth a chance but just have a read. It'll make you chuckle!!

Mentions foreign under-performers, then mentions 2 English under-performers.

Any excuse to have a pop at the foreigners.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Foreign underperformers ? LOL. Sinclair, Lescott, Richards,  Gabby - not particularly foreign

Amavi,  if he would have been fit for the entire season I would suggest would have been player of the year. Ayew was the only one that showed fight. Clown

This.  The brightest players last year were those so-called ‘foreigners’!  Ayew, Amavi, Gana, Adama and Veretout had zero PL experience, and we asked way too much of them given our circumstances and, especially, who they had to play with. But even then they outperformed 'experienced national treasures' like Gabby, Richards, Richardson, Sinclair and Lescott, not to mention several others disasters. Those five foreigners – along with our youth players – are the only ones I am keen for us to keep  After a year in the prem, and with better coaching next year, think will only do better.  I have said before, add 7-8 better quality players with them and we have the makings of a good squad.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 4

Â