Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

From memory his sacking at Chelsea was more to do with convenience of getting Benitez (I think it was?) in immediately. 

A 50% win ratio would do us pretty well next season and this year would've been good enough (depending on number of draws) for 4-5th so slap bang in the play offs. Managers can't do it alone though, the team needs the biggest overhaul we've seen in a long time. 

Diego Maradona tells Aston Villa fans what to expect from Roberto Di Matteo

World football icon tells Aston Villa fans what to expect

spt_ai_argentina_nigeria_12.jpg

Global football icon Diego Maradona has told Aston Villa fans that Roberto Di Matteo will bring harmony to the broken dressing room at Villa Park.

Reacting to the news that Di Matteo has been appointed Villa boss, Maradona was quick to give his verdict.

He stated: "Tactics, humility and intelligence are key factors at a high level, but most of all Di Matteo has been good at bringing harmony to the dressing room.

"Transferring the right character and will to win by fighting, managing to get the very best from his players."

Maradona is no stranger to Villa, he was once sensationally linked with the job himself.

His official European representative, Walter Soriano revealed Maradona wanted to manage in England – by succeeding Martin O’Neill as boss of Villa.

He told the Sunday Mercury at the time: “I think Diego would be very open to the idea of coming to England and managing Aston Villa.

“He is very attracted to English football and the way of life in your country and I know he would be very willing to move there.

“He loves the English countryside and your respect for privacy, so he would be very happy there, especially at a big club like Aston Villa.”

And Mr Soriano added: ‘‘If the owner Randy Lerner wants to make him a serious offer, I am sure he would get a very positive response.

1986 World Cup - England 1 Argentina 2: Goalkeeper Peter Shilton shakes hands with Diego Maradona before kick off.

1986 World Cup - England 1 Argentina 2: Goalkeeper Peter Shilton shakes hands with Diego Maradona before kick off.

Maradona is one of the biggest and most controversial sports stars on the planet.

An icon of Argentinian football he almost single-handedly won the 1986 World Cup in Mexico – after famously cheating England with his ‘hand of God’ goal.

He is regarded as one of the two best players of all-time alongside Brazil legend Pele – who the Argentinian crushed in a FIFA Player of the Century award in 2000.

1986 World Cup Quater Final: England 1 Argentina 2: Diego Maradona manages to out jump England goalkeeper Peter Shilton to handball Argentina's equaliser.

1986 World Cup Quater Final: England 1 Argentina 2: Diego Maradona manages to out jump England goalkeeper Peter Shilton to handball Argentina's equaliser.

Maradona had a long and colourful career as a player, first becoming a legend at Barcelona before later moving to Napoli in Italy where brought the unfashionable team title success.

But scandals dogged the star, including being sent home from the 1994 USA World Cup for failing a drugs test.

His life went into meltdown after his retirement from the game in 1997, with his behaviour becoming increasingly erratic and unpredictable.

Diego Maradona scores with his hand against England goalkeeper Peter Shilton.

He was once handed a suspended jail sentence for shooting journalists with an air rifle, and also suffered a heart attack in 2004 after piling on the pounds – linked again to drug abuse.

Maradona was admitted to intensive care in a Buenos Aires hospital while thousands of devoted fans gathered outside. But he fought back and eventually recovered after recuperating with his idol Fidel Castro in Cuba.

The sports idol underwent a successful stomach stapling operation in 2005, going on to become a popular TV host in Argentina.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/diego-maradona-tells-aston-villa-11428459?

I wish we'd appointed Maradonna as manager when we had that chance. It would have been a proper ride and couldn't really have gone any worse than how things panned out with our 'safe' manager choices. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I wish we'd appointed Maradonna as manager when we had that chance. It would have been a proper ride and couldn't really have gone any worse than how things panned out with our 'safe' manager choices. 

Ridiculous idea

Edited by flamingsombrero
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, flamingsombrero said:

Ridiculous idea

Ridiculous or brilliant? It's a fine line between genius and madness.

Anyway as I say, the last 5 years can't really have gone much worse. It would have been very entertaining with Diego at the helm, probably would have attracted some entertaining Argentinean players with him as well. As it turned out the last 5 years were a slow painful slide into relegation.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

From memory his sacking at Chelsea was more to do with convenience of getting Benitez (I think it was?) in immediately. 

A 50% win ratio would do us pretty well next season and this year would've been good enough (depending on number of draws) for 4-5th so slap bang in the play offs. Managers can't do it alone though, the team needs the biggest overhaul we've seen in a long time. 

after last few managers I think 25% win rate is enough :P

6 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Ridiculous or brilliant? It's a fine line between genius and madness.

Anyway as I say, the last 5 years can't really have gone much worse. It would have been very entertaining with Diego at the helm, probably would have attracted some entertaining Argentinean players with him as well. As it turned out the last 5 years were a slow painful slide into relegation.

as much as I liked Sherwood, Maradona would have been another level of fun. much more enjoyable than Lambert, McLeish or Garde

actually as it stands he could walk into our team as well even if he close to 60

Edited by Zatman

Â