Roberto Di Matteo

meme

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But according  to some rdm didn't win games for Chelsea, it was the likes of drogba and terry! 

I don't get ppl when they highlighted that as a criticism.

First of all its probably bollocks but also, John Terry and Didier Drogba have/or seemed to have been difficult to manage at times. So if he's manged to get them motivated to the extent where they have won the champions league then fair play.

Football management is not about having full control and dictating it's about facilitating an environment within which those around you, excel. And there's no two ways about it, roberto di matteo did that at Chelsea. 

• Like 1

What we cannot afford to do is keep chopping and changing our manager. It took Karanka nearly three seasons to build a team capable of promotion.

If we are gong through a rebuilding process, despite the amount of money that we may spend, a top 6 finish could be a real possibility, and if thats the case Di Matteo needs to stay on because the major problem this club has had is continuity.  Its going to be extremely difficult to build a promotion winning side that has been built halfway through the summer..

• Like 1

A shrewd choice if appointed. Has a decent record through League One, Championship and Premier League, has managed abroad, and will be a draw for better players as he is a name. Every manager has a job where everything just clicks, Lambert had it at Norwich, Moyes at Everton, Gregory at Villa, maybe Di Matteo might find that job at Villa and build something... Who knows! Optimism is up for me!

• Like 1

I just want us to appoint someone who the press have said is probably going elsewhere just to prove them wrong so. RDM is fine by me. We are bigger than bl00dy Lazio if we're in league 2. Arses 

Loving how much we just don't even flinch at the fact he is ex WBA, unlike Blues, we honestly do not care about the baggies.

Like ginger bollocks, if he'd have been shit at baggies we'd be moaning make no doubt about it

there's never been anything like McLeish in world football, people couldn't look past the ex blues thing, the reality was it was he relegated a team playing horrendous football, nothing to do with them

I seem to have a vague memory of Chelsea playing awful football to win the CL, honestly can't remember his baggies team

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I don't get ppl when they highlighted that as a criticism.

First of all its probably bollocks but also, John Terry and Didier Drogba have/or seemed to have been difficult to manage at times. So if he's manged to get them motivated to the extent where they have won the champions league then fair play.

Football management is not about having full control and dictating it's about facilitating an environment within which those around you, excel. And there's no two ways about it, roberto di matteo did that at Chelsea. 

It is bollocks , RDM got results at Chelsea because he was respected by the players including the 2 difficult players mentioned above.

• Like 2

We are a mess. If they think RDM can do something with it, then so be it. Not many could.

I did'nt want Pearson, if I'm honest and for me Moyes' rejection of us just showed how little grit he has for a real challenge. So, Roberto will do nicely and I sincerely hope he gets all the backing he needs.

• Like 1

Villa rarely go for the obvious choice if by accident or design.  Post Little apart from MON and Lambert the recent appointments have all been a bit left field with varying degrees of successfulness. I am warming to Di Matteo and I am sure if appointed will get the full backing from the long suffering faithful. If I remember he got Albion playing decent stuff and got promotion with them.

7 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Atiillo Lombardo and Massimo Battara . . . seem to be big names . . . 

Pretty big!

Maybe we can get Morten Gamst-Pedersen and Matthew Etherington involved somehow too. 

He can obviously manage big ego players and get them to perform so i have no worrys there.

Biggest worry is whether hes seen us last season and already knows who can leave etc.

My guess is he hasnt and they will all get a clean slate

32 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

He can obviously manage big ego players and get them to perform so i have no worrys there.

Biggest worry is whether hes seen us last season and already knows who can leave etc.

My guess is he hasnt and they will all get a clean slate

He let Lampard and Terry take control at Chelsea

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Like ginger bollocks, if he'd have been shit at baggies we'd be moaning make no doubt about it

there's never been anything like McLeish in world football, people couldn't look past the ex blues thing, the reality was it was he relegated a team playing horrendous football, nothing to do with them

I seem to have a vague memory of Chelsea playing awful football to win the CL, honestly can't remember his baggies team

If chelsea would have gone toe to toe attacking with bayern in that final they would have been ripped a new one. to me di matteo played the game perfect, if simeone would have done it, it would be classed as a piece of tactical genius. like you say villa4europe i cant remember his team at all with albion, or his style/approach. they were just an irrelevant championship team then.....