Roberto Di Matteo

meme

3 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Getting rid of the bad influences is as important as keeping the ones we want and maybe harder to achieve!! 

I have a feeling, based on nothing, that we will be paying the worst offenders off if nobody comes in very quickly. Guzan, Richards, Lescott, Richardson, and Ageatsomore will all go straight away I think.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Almost to depressed to post. We seemed to have been blinded by his CL win, whilst that is fantastic achievement for a manager, and I would never belittle that. I questions how useful the skills he used to do that will be in the job he faces at Aston Villa........

I really doubt he has the personality to stand up to the senior players.....

Looking at his managerial record for me personally his spell at Chelsea is the one I am least focused on/interested in as it simply has little relation to what he will walk into here. Chelsea had a very good squad and he got performances out of them.

The team he managed that has most in relation to our situation is West Brom. Just relegated when he came in and he got them straight back . That is what we need him to emulate.

The major reservation I have with Di Matteo is that he has very limited experience to call on in regard to building his own squad. When he came into West Brom they had just gone down on 32 points and were just one win away from staying up. That squad pretty much stayed intact and he was able to bring them back up. Our squad needs a major rebuild. As I said yesterday his lack of experience doesn't mean he won’t be capable of overseeing a rebuild it just means we don’t know if he is.

With regard to your view that he doesn't have the personality to stand up to senior players in fairness you, I or anyone else on this message board doesn't have a clue if that is the case. What I would say is that he was a top player, played alongside some big name players and for a spell managed players with big characters and got performances out of them ultimately managing them to the biggest prize in club football. The guy was a winner as player and has won things as a manager and that should demand respect.

In an ideal world I would have liked someone who has experience of rebuilding squads and getting it right. We are where we are though and it seems a decision has been taken on Di Matteo and where he lacks in some areas he makes up for in others.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Looking at his managerial record for me personally his spell at Chelsea is the one I am least focused on/interested in as it simply has little relation to what he will walk into here. Chelsea had a very good squad and he got performances out of them.

The team he managed that has most in relation to our situation is West Brom. Just relegated when he came in and he got them straight back . That is what we need him to emulate.

The major reservation I have with Di Matteo is that he has very limited experience to call on in regard to building his own squad. When he came into West Brom they had just gone down on 32 points and were just one win away from staying up. That squad pretty much stayed intact and he was able to bring them back up. Our squad needs a major rebuild. As I said yesterday his lack of experience doesn't mean he won’t be capable of overseeing a rebuild it just means we don’t know if he is.

With regard to your view that he doesn't have the personality to stand up to senior players in fairness you, I or anyone else on this message board doesn't have a clue if that is the case. What I would say is that he was a top player, played alongside some big name players and for a spell managed players with big characters and got performances out of them ultimately managing them to the biggest prize in club football. The guy was a winner as player and has won things as a manager and that should demand respect.

In an ideal world I would have liked someone who has experience of rebuilding squads and getting it right. We are where we are though and it seems a decision has been taken on Di Matteo and where he lacks in some areas he makes up for in others.

See my argument here is Mourinho had a very good squad last season and flopped. So I think regardless of squad RDM deserves credit for his achievements there. 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I have a feeling, based on nothing, that we will be paying the worst offenders off if nobody comes in very quickly. Guzan, Richards, Lescott, Richardson, and Ageatsomore will all go straight away I think.

I maybe in the minority but I'd keep Lescott but can see him going to the US along with Guzan. Richardson out of contract Fat Sam may go for Richards then we have Mr Villa hopefully Xia buys a Chinese club and puts him to work over there!! 

54 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Agreed.  If you look around at all the many and varied appointments an awful lot of them involve Managers suddenly having to buy in markets they must be unfamiliar with.  And by no means all of them have extensive scouting networks in place.  I can only imagine that behind the scenes there are more networks of Managers, ex-players, Agents, etc than we realise. Also its a safe bet that - unless hes an idiot - he is even now watching games from last season.

Another point is that the pool of available worthwhile players isn't as big as might at first seem.  Leaving aside players playing on the Continent the best have obviously just got promoted, so are in the most part unlikely to be going anywhere.  Then there is half a Leagues worth who would be no use.  So that leaves, as the main targets probably 40/50 players.  A fair few will be staying and having another go with Derby, etc, and others won't fit the positions we need (??!!).

Of those that's left, half of them will be angling to move here anyway, so their Agents will do most the work.....plus, he must know some from his time in the lower Leagues.

So it may not be as tricky as it at first seems.

Now I feel sorry for him.  Imagine having to binge watch our whole season in a weekend. [shudders]

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

I maybe in the minority but I'd keep Lescott but can see him going to the US along with Guzan. Richardson out of contract Fat Sam may go for Richards then we have Mr Villa hopefully Xia buys a Chinese club and puts him to work over there!! 

Yep a minority of one.

After Richardson Lescott is the worst player in the squad, which is impressive considering we have players like Richards, Gabby, Bacuna etc who he had to compete against for the honor of being the most useless lump of the season.

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

See my argument here is Mourinho had a very good squad last season and flopped. So I think regardless of squad RDM deserves credit for his achievements there. 

I am not saying he doesn't deserve credit mate. I said he got performances out of them. Fair play to him for that and he should be applauded for doing so.

RDM is walking into a complete blank canvas. Not many managers get such an opportunity. He will love it, and he will have a plan. Gonna be bloody brilliant. Yes I know that is not how it has been all these years, but as Tony said - forget the past.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Have we ever had an Italian manager before or this first ever?

I think it's a club first.. Makes a change from Scottish managers.

I really cannot see what all the fuss is about here.

There were two choices-Pearson or RDM. Moyes may or may not have been in the frame also, we will probably never know for sure. Forget about Martinez and others who have been mentioned. The incoming regime started with a list of targets and narrowed it down to two or three (I'd wager most on here would come up with a different short list as there are that many permutations-What we don't know is whether certain candidates were actually obtainable) People need to understand that this has been a thoroughly thought out and researched decision, not a rash 10 minutes scrolling the internet.

Is the doubt about RDM never having built a team before any greater than the doubt over how well Pearson will work without his backroom team? The fine lines are marginal.

Someone had to make the decision and we have to accept that that decision was made with the advantage of ALL facts-Something none of us will have been privy to.

RDM is no mug-He is certainly of higher stock than when he took over at WBA-Just because he managed there shouldn't influence our thoughts here and now.

He has experience and he will hopefully have money-I dare say all the people worried about him never having built a team will be amongst the first to tell us who they would choose in the rebuild-Lets give RDM a bit of credit here-Of course he is capable of building a team. Hopefully, the money available will be well spent and that will give him an advantage over others.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Now I feel sorry for him.  Imagine having to binge watch our whole season in a weekend. [shudders]

Ah sure he's been sitting on the couch in his PJs watching re-runs of Friends, Scrubs and Jeremy Kyle. He's well used to bad comedies and violence now.

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

He's swiss I think.

Ah yeah so he is. Swiss-born Italian. Though while he played for Italy, he is certainly Swiss so is he our first Swiss manager? My memory is so bad when looking into our past. 

How the hell can fans know a persons personality without meeting them or knowing them. Granted some footballers are thick as pig shit (gabby), but I don't know the personality of most on here and cannot assume to know it without meeting you or talking to you. I can tell from posts if you're a knob or not (as you all think I am) but i'd be wrong as you could be a really nice decent person with a great personality. Anyway what has that got to do with being a manager. I want a winner someone who wants to Instill a winning mentality in the team not an Eric black or mcleish. If the older so called experienced players have no respect for RDM then they can **** off and let the younger blood who will look up to him have a chance. Bet there are players who will probably be itching to get a chance to join us after seeing what's unfolded with new owner manager and plans that are afoot.

i liked him as a player! If he can motivate the players to achieve even half as much as he did then what's the problem. He's won more in the game than any of these freeloaders have ever or will ever win. 

Edited by nazvfc
  • Like 3