Roberto Di Matteo

meme

3 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Good post. I understand the concerns about Samuelson but I am surprised you still have those concerns about Xia's capital. This is for another thread, but most of the articles/information I have read - and there is quite a lot out there now - suggest to me he has more than enough money, as well as credible intentions. His actions with the media also suggest that to me.  Now whether he can deliver on his big promises - i.e. use the money effectively - is another matter, but so far what he has said and done give me cause for optimism.  We will no doubt learn more about him as we progress through the window.

As you say, it's for another thread, but my concerns about his capital primarily relate to the liquidity of his finances. I keep seeing stuff about how he's worth £3bn if he sells every stake in everything, which he obviously isn't ever going to do. The question is how much cash is he has on hand, for our purposes, now and going forward. I believe he has enough to buy the club, but that's only a first step. Anyway, back to RDM. 

• Like 1

Trouble is he might well be managing some of the poisonous Pollock's next season. I for one would prefer money to be spent on players who want to play for AVFC rather than pay players off who couldn't give a toss about the club.

• Like 1

The cv and achievements are great. Certainly above our current station.  The concern is around whether he can do it from the terrible toxic base we're starting out from. 

Bring in a strong no 2 and some serious experienced scouting talent and I'll feel more confident. 

Show us intent with the first few ins and as importantly outs and I'll be right behind him. No clean slates or second chances though - we need ruthless. 

Just now, rubberman said:

The cv and achievements are great. Certainly above our current station.  The concern is around whether he can do it from the terrible toxic base we're starting out from. 

Bring in a strong no 2 and some serious experienced scouting talent and I'll feel more confident. 

Show us intent with the first few ins and as importantly outs and I'll be right behind him. No clean slates or second chances though - we need ruthless. 

be very interested to see who No 2 is. 

Maybe Gary Cook on the scouting side - given that picture of Xia in the changing room.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Schalke...probably the one disappointment but if you study Schalke closely as a club, they are pretty awfully run despite good talent in the squad and very loyal support.

Apart from the good talent they do sound very similar to us worryingly......

Didn't he resign at Schalke?

Edited by mykeyb
Spelling

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

Apart from the good talent they do sound very similar to us worryingly......

Didn't he resign at Schalke?

It's a very difficult club to manage

I believe they haven't won Bundesliga since 60s and had string of near misses. Plenty of internal politics happen there which unsettle managers. Also dosen't help just down the road Dortmund are having a golden era.

If we're the English equivalent of Hamburg, they are certainly the spitting image of Newcastle in my mind. 

LOL "he won The Champions League" that's akin to those who say Sherwood "got us to an F.A. Cup Final" most of the work was done already.

Still I'm not against him, he's not Pearson for a start. I'd prefer if he'd had a league title under his belt but beggers can't be choosers.

Welcome Roberto.

12 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I will support him 100% however i do have concerns about;

1) His backroom staff

2) His knowledge of the transfer market

I really want him to prove me and the rest of his doubters wrong.  He could easily be our Karanka or Flores!!

Welcome RDM

Why are you concerned about his back room staff? Pearson would have been a concern as all his staff are at Leicester but don't see why this is a problem with RDM.

for me this is a good appointment. Has experience in both leagues, big name and plays attacking football. Certainly better than having fist face or McCarthy.

have a good feeling about this. 

Oooh Roberto di Matteo oooh Roberto di Matteo 

2 minutes ago, Holtern8 said:

LOL "he won The Champions League" that's akin to those who say Sherwood "got us to an F.A. Cup Final" most of the work was done already.

Still I'm not against him, he's not Pearson for a start. I'd prefer if he'd had a league title under his belt but beggers can't be choosers.

Welcome Roberto.

91 points would normally win the championship, they were just up against an exceptional Newcastle team that blitzed the division.

I'd quite happily settle for a repeat.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barney_avfc said:

Possibly Eddie Newton from Chelsea on the coaching staff ? He's worked with Di Matteo before.  Not sure if Conte is bringing in his own team.

100% I'd say.

No idea who else served under RDM at likes of West Brom and Schalke. 

4 minutes ago, Barney_avfc said:

Possibly Eddie Newton from Chelsea on the coaching staff ? He's worked with Di Matteo before.  Not sure if Conte is bringing in his own team.

He has also worked with Lombardo so wouldn't be suprised to see him here

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Why are you concerned about his back room staff? Pearson would have been a concern as all his staff are at Leicester but don't see why this is a problem with RDM.

for me this is a good appointment. Has experience in both leagues, big name and plays attacking football. Certainly better than having fist face or McCarthy.

have a good feeling about this. 

Oooh Roberto di Matteo oooh Roberto di Matteo 

I do agree Pearson would have been a greater worry, i've been doing some brief research since my last post and i've noticed that he had Atiillo Lombardo and Massimo Battara as well as Eddie Newton as part of his backroom staff at Schalke, they seem to be big names I hope they can have a positive effect on our squad if he decides to bring them.

Just now, VillaChris said:

100% I'd say.

No idea who else served under RDM at likes of West Brom and Schalke. 

Lombardo was with him at Schalke but has recently joined someone else's coaching team.

17 minutes ago, Holtern8 said:

Welcome Roberto.

Well it wasn't really was it? The team responded well to Sherwood's half time team talk vs Leicester, he was also manager when we beat both West Brom and Liverpool on the way to the final. Admittedly he wasn't in charge when we beat the giants of Blackpool and Bournemouth though.

Anyway back on topic good luck RDM if it is to be you who takes on the management of this fine club! 

It doesn't matter who is the manager unless we rip the club apart from top to bottom. I think RDM could do a decent job at a stable club, however, at Villa I expect him to struggle. We haven't got the players or staff to be anything but a disaster in the Championship so we will need to make at least 5 /6 decent signings, keep hold of the limited talent we have and get a whole new backroom or else Di Matteo doesn't stand a chance.

Welcome to the asylum Roberto.