Roberto Di Matteo

meme

Just now, Kingman said:

Probably an improvement on Bruce or Warnock,

Still can't believe we've been on the look for a manager for months and months and months and RDM is the best option they could find. 

Who did they send out scouting? **** Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder?

Who were you expecting Mourinho? He's gone to Man United

• Like 1

Just now, AshVilla said:

He has!!! What a word removed! Didn't he know Aston Villa were available?

• Like 3

I'm fairly happy with this (possible) appointment. Any manager appointment, especially in our situation, will be a gamble. For me Di Matteo is, on the surface, as reasonable a bet as most.

He has a good record; he has positive experience in the championship; he's won silverware as both a player and a manager which I would hope earns him the respect of the players (those who are staying and those we wish to attract).

I'm hesitant to say it, because it can be construed as being a weakness, but he seems like a decent bloke too. 

Assuming he signs, welcome Roberto and good luck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

Oh have a day off. But then again i forgive you for not having just a slightest bit of ambition. 

And no you don't have to quote silly managers.

Could we have made a better appointment than RDM? Possibly but I can't think of anyone realistic who would have actually accepted.

Could we have made a worse appointment then this? Definitely.

Welcome aboard Roberto, really hope it works out.

I'm pleased with this. We could have certainly done much worse. 

Young, successful, winner, and seems to have a ruthless side from his days sacking off KPB at Schalke. 

Needs to instil a winning mentality and sort the squad out, it's a big task but I'll back him and support him until I have reason not to. 

Part of the new chapter of AVFC. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Oh have a day off. But then again i forgive you for not having just a slightest bit of ambition. 

And no you don't have to quote silly managers.

So who was available that was better than RDM and hasn't turned us down?

Bear in mind were a Championship club now

28 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Yeah his lowest is higher than MON and his highest is higher than any manager in our clubs history. He's qualified I don't see why people have such a big issue with him.

I think the lack of longevity in posts has probably got people a little concerned. That said, if he stays only for one year and succeeds il be happy 

This could easily be a cornerstone for Di Matteo. He has a blank canvas and many forms of paint and paintbrushes, but will he opt to erect a masterpiece or something a 3-year-old wouldn't be proud of? Only time will tell.

24 minutes ago, limpid said:

We can't be promoted into the Scottish league.

We could do a Milton Keynes and relocate to Glasgow! ;)

Edited by meme

So he did half a season at Chelsea and about half a season at Schalke since 2012. Hardly a man who is in demand considering his record?

Hope I am wrong but is there a reason why he hasn't worked that much since winning the Championship League?

It really does suprise me how negative people have been to a manager who has a 50% win ratio in his career, who has won the Champions League,  and been promoted to the Premier League. And all for a man of 45 !

GET REAL VILLANS, THIS IS A COUP !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Okay, this seems like an opportune moment to take stock of where we are, assuming RDM is appointed, which now looks like a certainty. 

I've been very pessimistic about the club and its prospects in recent weeks. I have stated that I didn't think the new manager would last past Halloween, that we were more likely to be trying to avoid relegation than competing for promotion, and that our next manager would be someone with 'nothing to lose', of the level of Ian Holloway etc. A lot of this pessimism came from the belief we wouldn't be sold. Now, we seem to have reached an agreement on a sale and an agreement on a fairly impressive manager. So let's review:

I don't think it's any secret I've been pessimistic and skeptical about Tony Xia. I'm concerned if he has enough capital to invest in the club, if he will pass whatever the fit & proper test is called these days, if Mr Samuelson is conning us, and several other concerns besides. Those concerns haven't gone away, but let's imagine for a minute that Xia is what he says he is. He appoints RDM, and invests in the region of £30m-£40m in the playing squad. In that case, I think automatic promotion should be the only target, and I would expect, at the start of the season, for us and Newcastle to be out clear in front of everyone else, competing for first and second. This is based on the promises made, explicitly in words in Xia's case, and implicitly in his record in RDM's case:

1) £30m is enough to invest in the playing squad for a promotion push in this division. If Xia doesn't appear to be funding the club adequately or meeting RDM's demands, then I shall blame him for failure. 

2) RDM has shown enough promise, especially in his performance at Albion, to gain promotion managing a well-funded side in this division. If Xia pays up and runs the club better than Lerner, then RDM will get my blame if we don't get promoted. 

If Xia is what he says he is and if Xia pays up and if RDM is appointed and given a free hand, I shall change from pessimism to a non-cautious optimism. But it's still a lot of if's for now. 

Good post. I understand the concerns about Samuelson but I am surprised you still have those concerns about Xia's capital. This is for another thread, but most of the articles/information I have read - and there is quite a lot out there now - suggest to me he has more than enough money, as well as credible intentions. His actions with the media also suggest that to me.  Now whether he can deliver on his big promises - i.e. use the money effectively - is another matter, but so far what he has said and done give me cause for optimism.  We will no doubt learn more about him as we progress through the window.

I will support him 100% however i do have concerns about;

1) His backroom staff

2) His knowledge of the transfer market

I really want him to prove me and the rest of his doubters wrong.  He could easily be our Karanka or Flores!!

Welcome RDM

8 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I think the lack of longevity in posts has probably got people a little concerned. That said, if he stays only for one year and succeeds il be happy 

I wouldn't worry tbh. MK Franchise were happy with his work but West Brom poached him.

He really didn't do that bad a job there at all given some of the managers they've employed since, got them up and kept them mid table ish so really should've had longer than 18 months.

Chelsea...as I've said before anyone using his time at Chelsea as some sort of barometer here doesn't really understand football that well.

Schalke...probably the one disappointment but if you study Schalke closely as a club, they are pretty awfully run despite good talent in the squad and very loyal support. Bit of a German Newcastle and indeed they sacked another manager last week so not an easy club to manage which should serve him well here!

I wish him luck, think it's a decent appointment and interested to see what sort of players he targets. 

• Like 1