Roberto Di Matteo

meme

People talking about the excitement with the managers at the top of the Premier league this season. If you ask me, this could be almost as exciting.

Two former Champions League winners in the league, one here and one at Newcastle. It could go horribly wrong, or it could be the best season in recent memory. One thing's for sure, I am buzzing for August.

We'll either go up with ease for fail miserably.

12 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

How would you know that lmao

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2116017/Roberto-Di-Matteo-says-issues-John-Terry-giving-orders-bench.html

Accusations of player power at Stamford Bridge emerged again on Wednesday night when Blues captain Terry was pictured urging Michael Essien to drop back into defence during the club's thrilling Champions League triumph over Napoli.

26 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

People talking about the excitement with the managers at the top of the Premier league this season. If you ask me, this could be almost as exciting.

Two former Champions League winners in the league, one here and one at Newcastle. It could go horribly wrong, or it could be the best season in recent memory. One thing's for sure, I am buzzing for August.

We'll either go up with ease for fail miserably.

50/50 ?

28 minutes ago, DK82 said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2116017/Roberto-Di-Matteo-says-issues-John-Terry-giving-orders-bench.html

Accusations of player power at Stamford Bridge emerged again on Wednesday night when Blues captain Terry was pictured urging Michael Essien to drop back into defence during the club's thrilling Champions League triumph over Napoli.

How on earth is that regarded as a problem ?!!

I look forward to headlines saying "RDM allowed Villa players to sort themselves out on the pitch during their record breaking Championship winning season".

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Mate come on that is laughable. What's wrong with the captain barking orders as well?

already some negativity from talkshite with Warnock saying Pearson would be better option.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Really pleased with this, my only issue is he has a face like a paving slab

I too am pleased (not my first choice, but still pretty good considering) but I'd say he looks like a child spawned from a rough night of passion between Mascherano and Groucho Marx.Javier-Mascherano-Barcelona-2015_3369028groucho_marx_69239-480x360-e131868546811Roberto-Di-Matteo-014.jpg

Hardly allowing lampard and terry take charge like you stated.

The more I read about Di Matteo, the more I think he'd be a good choice. The fact that he has taken a relegated club back up to the prem the first time of asking, is very much a plus for me.

• Like 2

assuming this goes through (it's 1/10 on skybet this morning) I will be pretty happy with Di Matteo. While its true I wanted Moyes, I quite like the fact that Roberto is still quite young in management terms. He's hopefully coming to Villa full of energy and ideas, excited by the prospect of building a new team for a new era. I'm interested to see what influence he holds for players coming in, and players that could be persuaded to stay. He's won the Champions League and while its easy to rubbish that by saying it wasn't his team etc... He still has that on his CV, and people remember that. In fact from what I've been seeing online, a lot of people gave him huge credit for it. 

He has experience in our top three divisions and in Europe, won promotion with WBA so will understand what the lower leagues are about. He comes across well in interviews and he's multilingual which should help when bringing new foreign players in. 

So for me, I'm happy with this appointment. We've waited long enough so it's time to unite and give him a chance. It won't be easy and there's no guarantees.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

In terms of the fans I am sure once it is confirmed then 99% of us will back him. It is to all our benefit that he proves to be a good choice.

Your point about backing him is crucial to me.  He has such a massive job on his hands, he needs our support, whether he was the preferred candidate or not.

Spot on about back room staff and financial backing.  He needs to be able to build his team and to not be encumbered by past players who could hurt the campaign.  If that means paying a few players off Xia should back him and get them out, even if we have to pay a bit to do it.  Time to separate the wheat from the chaff!

• Like 3

I want Pearson but will be happy with Di Matteo. My only gripe being that I hope the decision hasnt been massively impacted by the Champions League win and the profile this will give him/us in other countries. We need a manager for now and hopefully hes been appointed for his promotion with West Brom as much as the Champions League win.