Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

On 24/07/2019 at 09:09, DaveAV1 said:

It’s quite simple, we’re Aston Villa, we’re from Aston and that’s where we should stay forever.  

I love Villa Park, I feel the same sense of excited anticipation every time I approach the ground, walk up the steps of The Holte and see the pitch. It’s truly magical and for me wouldn’t ever quite be the same in a modern bowl.

I remember  watching from the Trinity Road with my Dad, when they tried to divide The Holte and the fence was ripped out of the ground  “You’ll never take the Holte End” sang for the whole match. As a young man The Holte became my home. I was there for the final stand. 

Yes the stands have changed over the years and not always for the better, but somehow the glorious old place holds on to the magic. A part of me would die if we ever left. I wouldn’t change it for the world. 

Villa in our blood and Aston in our lungs. 

I wouldn't want us to move but there is a huge amount I'd change about it.

The Holte should never have been two tiers.

The Witton Lane is a poor stand and I'd happily see it rebuilt and re-named.

The North Stand is poor in so many ways.

As for the Trinity, I guess that won't change but if only we had a time machines...

One thing is for certain, Villa Park does need a lot of money spending on it and it needs to be bigger. We've fallen behind in recent years and we will need to do something about it over the next few years if we can re-establish ourselves in the Premier League.

• Like 3

Bang on there Trent about the Holte being a single tier. We lose so much noise because of it. The Witton when built was the fashion back then, and it’s was the thing to do building a double decker side stand. It is crap though, and offers very little to Villa Park. The North Stand is just too old now. The Trinity, although impressive, will never be what it used to be. 

the trinity has corporate facilities that 60% of the PL will be envious of

that's the main issue with requests for rebuilding the stadium, what we want and what the football club wants are 2 different things, an extra 5,000 seats aren't worth as much as an extra 500 corporate seats

that should be the main driving force behind the north and the witten, the north is just all round shit and despite the good boxes the witten doesn't have the same lounge areas that the trinity has, the lions club bar and what have you are shit and I don't think even used anymore

I think if we can get the area outlined then we can expand our great club. It could be like a fan park vibe before the game. Villa Park would be fantastic. The ground itself can then undergo a proper and correct expansion. 

Hotels , conferencing can be a part of the long term project.

Obviously  it would be extremely difficult and expensive. 

EC667D99-89AA-4476-9E33-FBD7444C55E0.jpeg

I wouldn’t be against a new stadium, if a good area could be secured. Having seen the artist impressions of the new Everton stadium I can’t help but be impressed. I don’t like the thought of playing at someone else’s stadium while Villa Park would undergo the required work, similar to what Spurs have just done. I’ve trust in owners whatever they decide 

2 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I wouldn’t be against a new stadium, if a good area could be secured. Having seen the artist impressions of the new Everton stadium I can’t help but be impressed. I don’t like the thought of playing at someone else’s stadium while Villa Park would undergo the required work, similar to what Spurs have just done. I’ve trust in owners whatever they decide 

Where would we play though? Molineux? That be only option that's why I can't see that happening. 

I'd not step foot sharing sty Andrews or the hawthorns  

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Where would we play though? Molineux? That be only option that's why I can't see that happening. 

The Alexander Stadium in Perry Barr - it will be expanded for commonwealth, so we could play the 2022/23 season there.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If it was going to happen it should be 2022 while the Alexandra is temporarily 40k for the games. It shouldn't and won't happen though. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

everton's new stadium is 3m north of goodison

like I said before I think to do that kind of project you need to go NFL style and develop an entire area, its a £500m stadium that is going to be part of an £800m regeneration scheme, needs complete new infrastructure (roads, train stations etc) which comes with a whole host of planning issues and for them financing issues (their super rich owner is borrowing government money to build it)

its an awful lot of fuckaboutery 

48 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Each to their own but to me Everton’s stadium just looks like a million other stadia. I hope we never move because of the obvious reasons, but also because I actually like our ground and the individual stands.

• Like 1

The £500m+ figure quoted for Everton's new ground just makes it more sensible to follow the Anfield example and build a new North Stand from back to front, allowing us to stay at full capacity throughout.  Much cheaper way to increase capacity and less hassle.

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If I was an Everton fan I’d literally be in tears when they leave goodison. It’s such a massive part of the club. 

None I know want to leave. But I guess the younger ones wouldn’t be as bothered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If I was an Everton fan I’d literally be in tears when they leave goodison. It’s such a massive part of the club. 

Same here.

I don't know what their other options were with expansion though, they're completely boxed in. Could they have just gone upwards into the sky, or maybe build a roof over the top and have the seats upside-down like a rollercoaster? That's making me feel sick just thinking about it.

Maybe they could have offered each of the homeowners surrounding the ground a hefty payout?

Whatever their options, I wouldn't like it if we moved away from Villa Park. If it ever happened, I'm sure they'd try to recreate some of the history by moving parts brick-by-brick. But deep down you'd always know it's 90% a replica of the original.

I trust our owners to do the right thing. Knock down the North Stand and build a beautiful new one, rename the Doug Ellis stand and improve the surrounding buildings and car parks. That would be a great start.

If we do ever leave VP it will because there is a financial case to be made by doing so and I wouldn’t be against it under the right circumstances and the right design and  location. Moving to an area undergoing regeneration or with the infrastructure and amenities already in place  could mean the ground can be used 365 days a year as a multi use facility earning the club more revenue and the owners more money when they come to selling the club . There is no way that’s the case at the moment but in many ways for me  VP died a little when Doug was allowed to destroy our heritage by pulling down the old Trinity stand. If they proposed building something akin to the Herzog & De Meuron proposed stadium for Chelsea with a brick facade and stained glass as well as a retractable roof and pitch i’d be sad to leave but would understand and not overly fussed. It’s not gunna happen anyhow give them the cost involved so mute point I’m making. 

When they rebuild the north stand and eventually the witton imo they have to be as separate stands for me with not fully wrap around corner/horse shoe design. 

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Each to their own but to me Everton’s stadium just looks like a million other stadia. I hope we never move because of the obvious reasons, but also because I actually like our ground and the individual stands.

I just watched a video showing the renders for Everton’s new ground. There’s a bar and restaurant behind a glass divider from the players’ tunnel. I understand the potential corporate income but, Christ, that is disgusting. 

‘Get prepared to play in a high stakes match, boys, while watching some fat owner of a carpet factory shouting *go on lads* in between mouthfuls of overpriced chips’

It’s the same sort of high-end-ification of working class sports that you can see in the frankly disgusting pit passes in F1 where some little shite gets right in the action because of mum and dad’s platinum card.

What I value about VP is that we have the luxury, high roller, suites without making every other fan feel bad about it. One of the values of the club is that we’re a local club with a hardworking ethos. It’s be nice if stadium upgrades could reflect this.

The new owners seem to understand the value of our history. I don’t think that can be instilled into murals of players lifting the FA cup in your new sports bar. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

None I know want to leave. But I guess the younger ones wouldn’t be as bothered.

It’s such a beautiful ground. It’s the heart beat of Everton FC. Just no room to expand though. Was reading a bit about it last night. I can’t believe it will be knocked down. 

• Like 1

On 24/07/2019 at 10:18, TrentVilla said:

One thing is for certain, Villa Park does need a lot of money spending on it and it needs to be bigger. We've fallen behind in recent years and we will need to do something about it over the next few years if we can re-establish ourselves in the Premier League.

I came here to say a similar thing after seeing Evertons beautiful plans yesterday.

When all the grounds changed to all seaters, I'm pretty sure only Old Trafford was significantly bigger than Villa Park.

Since then Arsenal, Newcastle, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, West Ham, Tottenham and now Everton all have left us behind. Pretty sure heard something about Wolves having something in the pipelines as well.

Â