Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Where would we play though? Molineux? That be only option that's why I can't see that happening. 

I'd not step foot sharing sty Andrews or the hawthorns  

Ricoh could do with a football team, rather play there for a year or 2 than the others you mentioned

I’ve always thought that Goodison is a great ground and Everton a good club. I’ve never understood the hype about Anfield or the atmosphere. I can’t believe Evertonians are the same breed as the bin dippers across the park. I suppose there’s no viable option to expand the place, but sad to see it go all the same. 

I think we have plenty of options to develop Villa Park into a wonderful stadium with modern facilities without selling our soul to the devil. In a few years time most clubs will have moved to a plastic bowl, on an industrial estate, one much the same as the other, but we’ll continue to play our home games at “home”. That can only add to the uniqueness of the greatest club on earth, a real people’s club for real people. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Evertons beautiful plans.

... significantly bigger than Villa Park.

Since then Arsenal, Newcastle, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, West Ham, Tottenham and now Everton all have left us behind. Pretty sure heard something about Wolves having something in the pipelines as well.

This isn't top trumps. There is value and beauty in things that aren't expressed as numbers. 

The relentless drive for more seats (an understandable desire from a business point of view) resulted in Witton Lane's history being overlooked. Removing historic structures and replacing them with something soulless is something B'ham, as a city, seems quite good at (think about the Victorian New Street Station versus the '60s monolith or the bacofoil bs today). 

Wes Edens seemed to be thinking along these lines when he said VP is basically like Fenway Park (which has one of the smallest capacities in the MLB). 

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache

The difference for me Dave, yes their stadium is one of the originals to still remain, but it is very outdated and it sadly shows.

I would like to think in around 10 years we will still be one of the club's homed in their original stadium.

Of the current PL teams only Villa, Everton, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Newcastle, Bournmouth, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Norwich, Sheff Utd and Watford remain in our original stadiums. Just over half the PL.

I wonder what that figure will look like in 29/30 season?

I agree I would hate to move away and you have highlighted the many reasons why we shouldn't worry.

I agree with @lapal_fan approach though and that just bulldoze all the houses along Witton Lane allowing us to move the road and mirror the Trinity.

Buy all the houses, Build all the stands. :lol:

4 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

This isn't top trumps. There is value and beauty in things that aren't expressed as numbers. 

The relentless drive for more seats (an under stable desire from a business point of view) resulted in Witton Lane's history being overlooked. Removing historic structures and replacing them with something soulless is something B'ham, as a city, seems quite good at (think about the Victorian New Street Station versus the '60s monolith or the bacofoil bs today). 

Wes Edens seemed to be thinking along these lines when he said VP is basically like Fenway Park (which has one of the smallest capacities in the MLB). 

I'm not just talking about the capacity though, you can read the last 2 pages of this thread. Apparently most people agree that the North Stand and Witton Lane are crap.. some are even saying the Trinity Road is crap. So it seems the only stand Villa fans agree thats any good is the Holte End even then theres a number of people complaining it should be a single tier.

Capacity kind of goes hand in hand with general improvements. The fact that we've dropped from being possibly 2nd on that list to around 10th tells its own story.

So some people choose soul and rather have no leg room (north), or headroom (upper witton) that's their choice. I'd rather put a diagonal mirror and have duplicates of Holte and Trinity to replace North & Witton with a few gaps filled in which would naturally put us near the top of the capacity list again.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The difference for me Dave, yes their stadium is one of the originals to still remain, but it is very outdated and it sadly shows.

I would like to think in around 10 years we will still be one of the club's homed in their original stadium.

Of the current PL teams only Villa, Everton, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Newcastle, Bournmouth, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Norwich, Sheff Utd and Watford remain in our original stadiums. Just over half the PL.

I wonder what that figure will look like in 29/30 season?

I agree I would hate to move away and you have highlighted the many reasons why we shouldn't worry.

I agree with @lapal_fan approach though and that just bulldoze all the houses along Witton Lane allowing us to move the road and mirror the Trinity.

Buy all the houses, Build all the stands. :lol:

Just how many Kortneys are there? 

48 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I came here to say a similar thing after seeing Evertons beautiful plans yesterday.

When all the grounds changed to all seaters, I'm pretty sure only Old Trafford was significantly bigger than Villa Park.

Since then Arsenal, Newcastle, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, West Ham, Tottenham and now Everton all have left us behind. Pretty sure heard something about Wolves having something in the pipelines as well.

Yeah they are talking about it.

We have been left behind and not just during our time in the Championship, I used to say this during Lerner's time. 

It will need to be addressed at some point in time you would think.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I agree with @lapal_fan

I know what you are saying but Villa Park is actually our third stadium, albeit the longest occupied one by a mile. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Just how many Kortneys are there? 

Quite a few. I was under the impression it was one long row of houses but it's actually a mini estate.

aerial-view-of-aston-villa-football-club

It could be squeezed in but regulations and red tape and light block and all that stuff currently stand in the way so they would need to all go.

Let's say for arguments sake there was 40 houses needing demolished. At an avg. cost of £200k each house to snap each one up, so roughly around £8m or thereabouts it would cost just doing that alone, before even planning to build any new stand/extension.

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Quite a few. I was under the impression it was one long row of houses but it's actually a mini estate.

It could be squeezed in but regulations and red tape and light block and all that stuff currently stand in the way so they would need to all go.

Let's say for arguments sake there was 40 houses needing demolished. At an avg. cost of £200k each house to snap each one up, so roughly around £8m or thereabouts it would cost just doing that alone, before even planning to build any new stand/extension.

But couldn't we apply to build some apartment blocks in one corner to help offset the cost. That's what most teams seems to be doing lately. 

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I wonder if that stand will just get left as is, and we'll focus our expansion on the god-ugly North Stand, which already has everything in place to expand, because of all the land behind it.

What could our capacity increase upto, if we just changed the North Stand?

On 24/07/2019 at 20:08, Sulberto21 said:

I think if we can get the area outlined then we can expand our great club. It could be like a fan park vibe before the game. Villa Park would be fantastic. The ground itself can then undergo a proper and correct expansion. 

Hotels , conferencing can be a part of the long term project.

Obviously  it would be extremely difficult and expensive. 

EC667D99-89AA-4476-9E33-FBD7444C55E0.jpeg

I'd love us to do this, but the only way I could see it happening is if the council decided to CPO all of the houses, built a new station and used us to fund a joint leisure development.

It looks like those houses currently sell for about £120k in a relatively tired condition so to buy the 300 or so in that area through private treaty and in any sort of workable time frame you'd probably need to agree to pay the best part of £200k each to convince everyone to move. Total of about £60m - I suppose compared to London land values and total costs of these type of projects this doesn't actually sound so bad.

You'd also still need a council commitment that they would allow demolition and rerouting of roads, but I suppose this could be done by applying for planning permission before trying to assemble the site. You can technically apply for planning permission on anything you want without owning it, so the club would be able to do this here. The only reason you wouldn't do it normally is if you're bidding on land to develop and then get planning permission for it the seller is just going to put the price up. This would be less of a concern with a site requiring this many small acquisitions.

It is also a massive long shot for us to completely rebuild the Trinity, but I'd love to know if it would be possible (and the cost) to reclad it sympathetically to match the old brick frontage. I doubt there would be the space to recreate the stairs etc, but this wouldn't bother me.

I'm pretty sad and a bit of an architecture enthusiast! Personally I love the idea of a stadium mixing the old and new, but tbh I don't see how we do that best at Villa Park. If the Holte and North were both older brick facades I think you could merge it well with 2 ultra-modern stands running along the length of the pitch, but it comes back to the issue of limited space.

I'm actually sad enough that a while back I made a 3d model of Villa park and was playing around to see how you could redevelop the site to merge the old and new. Pretty sure I couldn't come up with anything good, although my creative abilities are limited.

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'd love us to do this, but the only way I could see it happening is if the council decided to CPO all of the houses, built a new station and used us to fund a joint leisure development.

It looks like those houses currently sell for about £120k in a relatively tired condition so to buy the 300 or so in that area through private treaty and in any sort of workable time frame you'd probably need to agree to pay the best part of £200k each to convince everyone to move. Total of about £60m - I suppose compared to London land values and total costs of these type of projects this doesn't actually sound so bad.

You'd also still need a council commitment that they would allow demolition and rerouting of roads, but I suppose this could be done by applying for planning permission before trying to assemble the site. You can technically apply for planning permission on anything you want without owning it, so the club would be able to do this here. The only reason you wouldn't do it normally is if you're bidding on land to develop and then get planning permission for it the seller is just going to put the price up. This would be less of a concern with a site requiring this many small acquisitions.

There is the commonwealth games and I know a-lot of land has been purchased for the ‘village’ it isn't too far from the outlined area.

Â