Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

Wolves was around the 2700 mark . The one season we were allocated 4200. Watford who are in a 20k ground offer 2k and Bournemouth who are in a 11k offer just over 1k. The general rule is you offer around 10% of your capacity . 

On 30/06/2019 at 12:47, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I love Aston. 

I mean sure, like every poor area it has it's issues with crime, but I never ever feel unsafe walking around there on a match day. Terraced housing, narrow pavements, the odd sofa on the street whilst Black Sabbath blasts out through an open window. Kids playing football over the rec, jumpers for goalposts. It's got a proper working class community vibe, I wouldn't want to move from there for all the world.   

You gone back in time?

It will always feel safe on match days because of how many supporters are about. 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You gone back in time?

It will always feel safe on match days because of how many supporters are about. 

Of course he has. The ethnic make up of Aston nowadays probably won’t be playing stuff like Black Sabbath 😉

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Of course he has. The ethnic make up of Aston nowadays probably won’t be playing stuff like Black Sabbath 😉

Maybe Aston was nice in the 1950s or something. The area now is a s**thole.

To be fair though the only incident I can remember with locals was when a couple of lads that claimed to be ‘Sadams Soldiers’ were asking fans for a fight.  They got ignored though.

Also once me and a couple of lads walked in to a newsagents a little bit further from the ground and it’s safe to say we wernt very welcome in there. 

I have no problem with where Villa park is located because it’s so easy to get to for me on train. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

25 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The one season we were allocated 4200. 

we took a silly number to preseason one year, think they offered us the whole stand and we took it, and then some more, and some more...we just kept coming

maybe they learned their lesson from it and wont do it again, competitive edge and all that

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe Aston was nice in the 1950s or something. The area now is a s**thole.

To be fair though the only incident I can remember with locals was when a couple of lads that claimed to be ‘Sadams Soldiers’ were asking fans for a fight.  They got ignored though.

Also once me and a couple of lads walked in to a newsagents a little bit further from the ground and it’s safe to say we wernt very welcome in there. 

I have no problem with where Villa park is located because it’s so easy to get to.  But I wouldn’t miss the area one bit!

Aston has always been rough . Back in the 50s it was recovering from Hitler. It’s still a shit hole now, but it’s not a white working class area anymore, and you wouldn’t call it a Villa stronghold either. Years ago you’d probably have loads of folk leaving their terrace housing to go the game. That don’t happen anymore. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have no problem with where Villa park is located because it’s so easy to get to.  

serious?

I think its horrific, so much in fact that I usually avoided night games because I knew I couldn't get there on time (I worked in Malvern)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

we took a silly number to preseason one year, think they offered us the whole stand and we took it, and then some more, and some more...we just kept coming

maybe they learned their lesson from it and wont do it again, competitive edge and all that

We had two friendly games there where more turned up than they thought would. Our first championship season they gave us 4200 because at the time they were averaging 22k and weren’t filling their ground. 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

serious?

I think its horrific, so much in fact that I usually avoided night games because I knew I couldn't get there on time (I worked in Malvern)

It’s a nightmare to get back home, whether by car or train . 

Just now, villa4europe said:

serious?

I should have mentioned it’s easy to get to for me personally on a train :).

In a car i guess it’s a nightmare!

I like Aston. I knew it back in the 1960's and it was a real community, and I strolled around the terraced streets a few years back and it's still a real community. It might have undergone an ethnic change but it's still a communal home to whole lot of nice people.

I'm proud of our roots.

• Like 2

I’d rather our ground be in a working class area. It’s a shame we don’t draw a lot of support from the Aston area, but I suppose it’s a different England nowadays. The same with Blues. I don’t imagine they draw a lot of support from Small heath , Bordesley, Saltley anymore. Erdington is Villa to me. When I think of that place I think of Villa. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It literally happened last season on the walk from the Barton Arms.

There is still hope yet then . I always imagine the working class areas of Liverpool blaring out Beatles songs. Obviously we have the better band. 

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’d rather our ground be in a working class area. It’s a shame we don’t draw a lot of support from the Aston area, but I suppose it’s a different England nowadays. The same with Blues. I don’t imagine they draw a lot of support from Small heath , Bordesley, Saltley anymore. Erdington is Villa to me. When I think of that place I think of Villa. 

For me Villa represents much more than just Aston so I wouldn’t have a problem with a new ground being built in a different part of North Birmingham if that was the only way to expand.   Ideally we just increase the current ground though

Talks of moving are something way in the future I’m sure.

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

No need to move and I don’t think we ever will.

Depends how successful we get. Can the current ground be extended in to a 60k stadium? Is it even feesible to have an extra 20k people coming to and from the area on matchdays?

Again one for the distant future so nothing to worry about. 

I think the best way forward in the medium term is to buy the houses around the area especially behind the Doug Ellis stand. Ideally to the junction of Trinity Road and Witton road, down to the railway line then all the land around the church too. 

Then build something magnificently monstrous like the AT and T Stadium. 

It all depends on demand and our subsequent growth potentially.

Â