Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

2 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Someone please get hold of that video!

What could it be? A pep talk? Just a good luck message? Some chineese sayings? Mao quotes? And what would he wear on the video

It would be a white suit, that looks a little bit like oversized pyjamas, a black belt around his waste, a bandana around is head and some nunchuks :ph34r:

Dr X: Hey Reberto, team is awful, should I send them a motivational video since I can't be there day to day?

RDM: Well, err, I guess, I mean it's your club to do with what you please.

Dr X: Great, I'll get right on it. Cheers for asking. 

RDM: O_o

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Sorry, why are we assuming that there's no possibility that somewhere between Xia's bad English or his massive ego that the situation is a little less cut-and-dried than it appears from that tweet?

Because that doesn't fit the Di Matteo out agenda...

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Sorry, why are we assuming that there's no possibility that somewhere between Xia's bad English or his massive ego that the situation is a little less cut-and-dried than it appears from that tweet?

In fairness that could well be the case which is another reason why he should just keep stum.

We fail to win the next game then I can imagine this being thrown back in his face. It also gets headlines in the media that the manager doesn’t need and undermines him assuming he hasn't gone to the owner and asked for this as the owner has stated. 

Edited by markavfc40

6 minutes ago, Godders said:

If we win the next game then, is this lauded as a genius bit of leadership from both RDM and Xia?

If we are going to start to consider things genius just because we beat Preston then we have fallen even lower than any of us thought mate.

Edited by markavfc40

4 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Why do we assume the video to be some sort of Krulak war speech that players would likely facepalm at? I'm pretty sure the message's purpose would be to assure them Di Matteo's job is safe. 

That'd be even more **** bizarre.

"hey boss, my players think I might get sacked, could you record a video telling them I'm staying please?"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That'd be even more **** bizarre.

"hey boss, my players think I might get sacked, could you record a video telling them I'm staying please?"

Why? It's all over the news. Two games and what not. There surely must be tension in the dressing room. If RDM and Xia spoke and Xia reassured him he's not sacking him and will be giving him time then I think the best thing the manager should do is to ask him to support him publicly. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan

You're right @markavfc40. It was a poor thought through argument on my part. 

I just find it pretty incredible though that we've seemingly managed to collectivley assume that the video to the lads that RDM asked for, has come about through some variation of RDM going cap in hand to Tony and asking him to motivate the players because he can't.

What if RDM has been banging on to the team and Xia that the squad is more than good enough for automatic promotion. Since not all players are on promotion bonuses, or the promotion bonuses don't differentiate between auto promotion and promotion through the playoffs, Xia agrees to each player getting an ad-hoc bonus over and above what's in their contract, should we finish in the top 2. The video is simply the method to communicate this to the players. 

Nothing there to suggest that RDM is a rubbish manager. On the contrary, it would be an example of him using all the motivational tools at his disposal to get his team achieve their target. And nothing there to suggest Xia is treading on RDM's toes, or doing his job for him. Obviously this is one of many possible reasons why this video was done.

Edit: also, the video is to "the lads". We don't if that's the first team, the new signings, the old guys, the youth team etc.

Edited by Godders
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Godders said:

Obviously this is one of many possible reasons why this video was done.

You are right there are a number of possibilities which leads to all kinds of theories from fans and in the media as to what has gone on here. I think Xia would be better off keeping some things in house.

Beat Preston and this won't be an issue after. Fail to beat them then I'd imagine this will be twisted, rightly or wrongly, and thrown back in his face and, again rightly or wrongly, used as a stick to beat Di Matteo with.

10 hours ago, Richard said:

If I were the owner and the manager asked me to do this I'd sack him instantly. But not before saying "that's your job and that's why I pay you . You're supposed to be the **** expert "

Im pretty sure he didn't ask XIA to do the video. Dr Tony told him was doing it, and Mr Feeble RDM - said 'good idea boss'

Its almost like Smithers and Montgomery burns from the simpsons !

Edited by hippo

20 minutes ago, hippo said:

Im pretty sure he didn't ask XIA to do the video. Dr Tony told him was doing it, and Mr Feeble RDM - said 'good idea boss'

How can you know this when the tweet specifically says that RDM asked Tony to do it? It doesn't say I asked RDM if a video was a good idea and he said yes. I'm not having a go at you but because the owner communicates via this moronic form of social media he only has a limited number of words and every word will be taken literallly. If he wants to communicate with the fans then he should be using a less restrictive form of media and be clear in what he says. For example the club have a (terrible) website, perhaps he could tell us his thoughts on there.

Edited by villa89

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

If he wants to communicate with the fans then he should be using a less restrictive form of media

I heard Twitter is close to allowing for more characters per post, not sure how much more, but hopefully it is used well by Tony.

That said, although he's technically fluent in English, he is clearly limited, so Twitter is actually a smart platform for him. 

Don't forget Lerner. Never forget Lerner.

I'll take vague, grammatically contorted Tweets over anything Lerner ever did or never did regarding accessibility.

Â