Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

7 hours ago, Chewie said:

Dr X: Hey Reberto, team is awful, should I send them a motivational video since I can't be there day to day?

RDM: Well, err, I guess, I mean it's your club to do with what you please.

Dr X: Great, I'll get right on it. Cheers for asking. 

RDM: O_o

I think you are looking at this from the right angle...RDM is not stupid enough or desperate enough to publicly grovel like this...

Any way you add it up, things are not good at Villa Park, at all.

51 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

You are right there are a number of possibilities which leads to all kinds of theories from fans and in the media as to what has gone on here. I think Xia would be better off keeping some things in house.

Beat Preston and this won't be an issue after. Fail to beat them then I'd imagine this will be twisted, rightly or wrongly, and thrown back in his face and, again rightly or wrongly, used as a stick to beat Di Matteo with.

Everything is currently being used as a stick to beat Di Matteo with; this video doesn't change things one bit.

Look at the sheer amount of people jumping to the "OMG! The owner needs to give motivation! What a joke!" conclusion without any information at all other than "I've done a video as RDM asked".  I mean, what the ****?

Even if we beat Preston, the win will be used as a stick because we played the wrong formation.  Or Di Matteo made the wrong subs.  He needs a decent winning streak to turn round some of our fans (after 10 games, lol).

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I'll take vague, grammatically contorted Tweets over anything Lerner ever did or never did regarding accessibility.

I think there's a better option where he sends his statements to the the club's PR team and a native English speaker can read them and point out anything that might need clarification or cause trouble. Spouting whatever he wants on twitter just causes issues in the media and division between the fans who argue over what he actually meant.   

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Even if we beat Preston, the win will be used as a stick because we played the wrong formation.  Or Di Matteo made the wrong subs.  He needs a decent winning streak to turn round some of our fans (after 10 games, lol).

Probably not a discussion for the Xia thread but he wouldn’t need a good run of results to turn some fans around if we had even had just a half decent start to the season. We haven’t though we have won one game out of 11 which to me is a poor start.

Getting this back on topic I think as others have also suggested Xia would be better off saying nothing. This should have been kept in house as, perhaps due to the limited nature of twitter, what he says can be left open to interpretation.

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think there's a better option where he sends his statements to the the club's PR team and a native English speaker can read them and point out anything that might need clarification or cause trouble. Spouting whatever he wants on twitter just causes issues in the media and division between the fans who argue over what he actually meant.   

I agree, but we're living in a new world, where club owners are in their 30's, and social media is an ever-present, natural inclination. I'd rather him speak gibberish on Twiiter than be stonewalled like we were with Lerner and his flunkies.

• Like 1

It's worth noting the last time Xia addressed the players, which we know about, it was a motivational speech and it was the last time we had a victory. 

"I wanted to inspire the players and give them some of my advice, based on the many things I have learned".

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tony-xia-reveals-details-motivational-11746267

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It could well be a conscious decision NOT to run tweets through the club PR dept. 

If the club's PR strategy is for the owner to speak directly to the fans, then running them through the PR dept risks watering the messages down to an extent where the fans will be able to see that it's simply an overly engineered PR job, not an owner and fan speaking doing everything in their power to make the club great again. 

I don't mind his tweeting. He's not bought the club into disrepute. His tweets don't look like they're affecting on field performances or dressing room harmony. If some fans want to read too nuch into it then that's their perogative. Im currently enjoying the insight that he gives at the moment. Especially when the last guy said nothing at all, except when he'd throw a dictionary at us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Probably not a discussion for the Xia thread but he wouldn’t need a good run of results to turn some fans around if we had even had just a half decent start to the season. We haven’t though we have won one game out of 11 which to me is a poor start.

Of course - hence me saying "he needs a decent winning streak to turn round some of our fans".  If he wins the next 4 in a row, people will still be on his case.  That's fine, it's an opinion of the manager, but it's a bit much after 10 games IMO.

Anything/everything will be used as a stick until that point - even if actual content isn't there.

I can understand that RDM is trying everything that he thinks might help, but this does come across as a sign of a struggling manager.

Has not really been commented on, but I like that the following tweet explains Xia's absence. It stops any rumours or theories regarding his non attendance. That is why I like his tweeting.

11 hours ago, Chewie said:

Dr X: Hey Reberto, team is awful, should I send them a motivational video since I can't be there day to day?

RDM: Well, err, I guess, I mean it's your club to do with what you please.

Dr X: Great, I'll get right on it. Cheers for asking. 

RDM: O_o

This cracked me up.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

I agree, but we're living in a new world, where club owners are in their 30's, and social media is an ever-present, natural inclination. I'd rather him speak gibberish on Twiiter than be stonewalled like we were with Lerner and his flunkies.

Really? How many other club owners tweet regularly about players' contractual issues, internal management discussions/decisions etc., and do so using such careless and imprecise language?

This is a genuine question as I had assumed Xia was a bit of a one-off. If other owners do the same, I'd be interested to look at how they do it.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

On 9/25/2016 at 07:56, Richard said:

According to his latest tweet our lads are top class in this league !

It probably says that in his stubs on his cheque book.....problem is, is converting that to the match day report in most of the press.

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

I heard Twitter is close to allowing for more characters per post, not sure how much more, but hopefully it is used well by Tony.

It's all gone silent on that front as there was backlash by daily Twitter users over it. The proposed plan was for Twitter to expand the character to limit from 140 to 10,000.

In May they kept it at 140 but made it so @name, links, images and polls didn't add to the character limit allowing characters to go further. 

Not sure since then if Twitter has any plans to expand further, their concerns right now appear to be how to make Twitter more profitable as it makes next to no money for a site its size.

5 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

I can understand that RDM is trying everything that he thinks might help, but this does come across as a sign of a struggling manager.

Lol, sorry this is nonsense, it's one of those where he is damned if he did and damned if he didn't. Out of interest, what could he have said that would make him not come across as a struggling manager? 

The Media have been talking about his job being in danger and had fans and the like speculating, I am sure he was asked a question and responded.

If he had not said anything the same people on here would be saying "We have not heard anything from him, he is obviously winding his neck in and hiding, all signs of a struggling manager" etc.

Aside - What would be the point of Twitter if it expended past 140 characters? That's it's whole thing - the quick fire, scattergun nature of it. People already have the option of linking to their blog if I'm even remotely interested. 

Back on topic - I have no issue at all with RDM using whatever resources he has at his disposal. If he views Tony as a resource that might help, no problem. It also suggests fears that Tony's comments on Twitter might be taken badly by some in the squad are unfounded. 

38 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Lol, sorry this is nonsense, it's one of those where he is damned if he did and damned if he didn't. Out of interest, what could he have said that would make him not come across as a struggling manager? 

The Media have been talking about his job being in danger and had fans and the like speculating, I am sure he was asked a question and responded.

If he had not said anything the same people on here would be saying "We have not heard anything from him, he is obviously winding his neck in and hiding, all signs of a struggling manager" etc.

I was referring to Xia's tweet. I don't know what you are responding to. Your post makes no sense to me.

Â