Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

1 minute ago, useless said:

McCormack was our initial target then we went for Kodija but didn't want to pay what Bristol City were asking so in the end went back for McCormack. I don't know if that's true, but I believe it's what Alan Nixon has said on the situation.

Id like to believe that!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

The OP was clearly stating the fact we haven't got a technical director yet as a dig at Xia. You at least tried to qualify the point. The point about bringing in a technical director now would be him wanting to have an input into a process already underway which with 4 weeks to go could be a hinderance and as I did say it maybe isn't the best time to appoint someone!!! I stated that it wasn't the most important position at present and you never stated a view on this. I did. It's called having an opinion. 

So let me get this right, its okay for you to have an opinion but not the person having a dig at Xia over the Technical Director? Seems logical.

Besides it is only your opinion that it was a dig, I didn't particularly see it as being and I certainly wasn't using it as one. However even it was and I was I refer you to the last 5 words of the post quoted above.

As for your assessment of the timescales for bringing in a TD, don't tell me, it was Xia and Wyness who said we were on the verge of appointing one. Go tell them its a hinderence all I'm doing is pointing out its odd it hasn't happened given their comments. And yes, you guessed I'm having an opinion again.

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Why would we go for Kodjia if McCormack was our main target? Either way my point was more about the supposed sell to buy policy or the Dr reacting to Holloways article.

We thought we could get him for much cheaper than McCormack? 

Edited by PieFacE

28 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I think it is fairly obvious with anyone not into 9/11 conspiracy theories that we missed out on our main target and therefore bid for McCormack who was plan b.

Like the theory that Bin Laden conspired in a cave to fly some planes into a building? Or another one?

52 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Indeed I'm still a bit sceptical as to how much money there is - may be, maybe not that much.  Still too early to say anyway. To be honest I wouldn't care either - all the business you describe is sound business and if we can rebuild at cost or not much more why not ?.......no need at all for him to throw it away if he doesn't need to...but the issue (if we don't have loads to spend) would be partly the disparity between what was said to be the case and the reality; that might suggest other issues that could be important too..and what happens when we like who we have but need to add more.

Plenty of time to assess that and all that flows from it later however, for now the Ins are better than the Outs AND its good we finally seem able to get some fees for some of our players.

I'd much rather a considered spend than just chucking money about.  As you say, if we can rebuild how RDM wants with not much net spend then great.  I suspect we will still see more spending before the end of the window and don't expect much more to come in - £3m for Sinclair and bit and bobs for a couple of others maybe?  Will just have to wait and see...

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

We thought we could get him for much cheaper than McCormack? 

I can't imagine it would've taken this long to find out that we couldn't get him cheaper. Kodjia was apparently holding out for a PL move so maybe he was our first choice.

The end result is we've ended up with McCormack (probably). Doesn't really matter how we got there really. And even if he wasn't our number one target that speaks to Xia's ambition for the club, because anyone seen as better than McCormack must be a pretty good player. And if McCormack does sign, then I think we have the biggest net spend in the division.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Why would we go for Kodjia if McCormack was our main target? Either way my point was more about the supposed sell to buy policy or the Dr reacting to Holloways article.

No your point was very clear that you think we missed one player and then went for another.  Not that we had to wait for money or that Xia reacted to Hollowhead.  I don't really mind either way.  S'just that's not what you said.

42 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I think it is fairly obvious with anyone not into 9/11 conspiracy theories that we missed out on our main target and therefore bid for McCormack who was plan b.

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

No your point was very clear that you think we missed one player and then went for another.  Not that we had to wait for money or that Xia reacted to Hollowhead.  I don't really mind either way.  S'just that's not what you said.

Fair enough. My bad. I don't buy that McCormack was our first choice target to begin with. I certainly don't buy that Xia was responding to fans or Holloway. Or the other reason I saw that we have sold a few players so have a bit of money to spend.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

Fair enough. My bad. I don't buy that McCormack was our first choice target to begin with. I certainly don't buy that Xia was responding to fans or Holloway. Or the other reason I saw that we have sold a few players so have a bit of money to spend.

I can't imagine anyone thinks we have bought someone because of the fans or Holloway !! ?  Surely not ?

I also agree it is highly unlikely it is to do with who has gone.  Coincidence.

Every day I come on this site and its doom and gloom. Guys we've already hit rock bottom. We have a new owner, a new manager and are slowly signing new players. Cheer up lads, the season hasn't even started yet and this site is more depressing than ever! Let's be excited about the new era! 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, useless said:

McCormack was our initial target then we went for Kodija but didn't want to pay what Bristol City were asking so in the end went back for McCormack. I don't know if that's true, but I believe it's what Alan Nixon has said on the situation.

If this is true then I'm impressed how quickly we acted on plan b. Makes a nice change. 

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Four singings and approximately £15m net spent with 4 weeks of the window to go. 

Is he making an album now?.......this boy gets around......Gangnam style.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Â