The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

4 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

So some finance dude who works for talk sport also says he has been told there have been difficulties from two sources, but another source says the money is there. 

Pat murphy also suggests things are moving forward but taking their time.

the common theme seems to be that the FA and FL don't want to be caught out again with another dodgy take over and that paranoia plus the fact it is double the amount of red tape because there are two bodies looking into the details is really slowing things down.

plus we know that the way Xia is doing this is complex and hard for most of us not schooled in the ways of Chinese business to understand. 

This all sounds a toxic mix, but not necessarily one that will stop it from happening. Just won't happen for at least another 2 weeks in my opinion. And this is how I interpret what I've read, not ITK.

To be honest, we're an English football club, it shouldn't take being 'schooled in the ways of Chinese business' to get bought. However, I wouldn't expect fans to be kept up to date with proceedings anyway. This may or may not happen, but certainly whatever one or two blokes said on Twitter won't be the difference. 

10 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

For reference purposes only (draw your own conclusions)

Bolton agreed takeover 22nd Feb, ratified (with conditions) 8th March 2016

Crawley Town takeover approx 15th Feb, ratified 9th March 2016

Leicester City takeover 12 August, ratified 22 Oct 2010 (failed test original test on 25th August)

Doncaster Rovers takeover 19th June, refused 18th July (one month)

Reading takeover 12th August, ratified 19th September 2014

ASTON VILLA takeover 18th May, awaiting confirmation but based on the little research above we're probably looking at early to mid-June for ratification one way or the other and probably shouldn't be reading anything in to it yet.

Besides, if it goes through great, if it doesn't we're lucky there a stringent checks to save us from our own ineptitude!

Is this with all takeovers or are there some that have taken less time? 

Lerner has made many a mistake running our football club, the reason being, he has never really had the knowledge. I would be utterly shocked, with his background, he, an his people, cannot 100% prove that the Dr has the funds ready to, if not just to buy us, but also run our club the way it should be.

Can someone explain to me, why there are 2 seperate bodies looking into this?

So, if we pass the "fit and proper person test " by the F.L. but fail at the P.L. does that mean that we can be a championship team but never get promoted because we did not pass the F & PP test of the P.L.???

Google is your friend, PussEkatt.

Not sure if this has been posted before, so apologies if it has. This is from the Wikipedia page so take you will.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fit_and_proper_person_test

The test, introduced in 2004, is mandated by the Premier League, the Football League, the Football Conference and the Scottish Premier League. Anybody who takes over a club, runs one, or owns over 30% of its shares must be assessed. The first director known to have failed the test was Dennis Coleman, director of Rotherham United when they went into administration in 2006 and 2008. He claimed:

"I came in and in effect saved the club. It is totally unfair for me to be disqualified."[3]

In November 2009, Stephen Vaughan, then owner of Chester City, became the first owner to fail the test, after he was legally disqualified from being a director of any company. This was a result of VAT fraud as owner of Widnes Vikings rugby club. He transferred control of Chester to his son, Stephen Vaughan, Jr.[4]

In March 2012, Rangers owner Craig Whyte was found not to be a fit and proper person as the result of an independent enquiry.[5]

In June 2014, Louis Tomlinson, former footballer and member of the boy band One Direction, and John Ryan, businessman and previous Chairman of Doncaster Rovers, launched a bid to buy the club but one month later Ryan was found not to be a fit and proper person due to a lack of funding.[6]

Disqualifying eventsEdit

The Premier League has tighter restrictions than the rest of the Football League and Football Conference. In general, a businessman will fail the test if:

• They have power or influence over another Football League club
  • They hold a significant interest in another Football League club
  • They become prohibited by law from being a director
  • They are filing for bankruptcy
  • They have been director of a club while it has suffered two or more unconnected events of insolvency
  • They have been a director of two or more clubs of which, while they have been director, has suffered an event of insolvency

So it would seem the Premier League and Football League have the same tests in regard to checking out finances so they can afford to buy and run the club and also looking into an individual's background concerning fraud and other crimes, but the Premier League have additional provisos.

Leicester City takeover 12 August, ratified 22 Oct 2010 (failed test original test on 25th August)

Well given their success this season that was the example that jumped out at me....was that the Thai consortium or another set of owners Leicester had? Might be a good omen if it's the current board they have there.

Just interested what they did for transfers and how they started that season...I remember they splashed the cash one season with Sven as manager and didn't really get anywhere, not sure if it was 2010.

2 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Is this with all takeovers or are there some that have taken less time? 

I'm afraid I couldn't tell you, these are the only takeovers I could find information on.

There is added complexity because we have changed leagues but not yet officially and there are deadlines upon submitting the test after we are officially members of the football league.  I believe the premier league also has more stringent rules particularly around identifying who is involved in controlling the club and where the money is coming from. The football league have no requirement for identifying all directors , I believe 

So, don't I recall that we had a January transfer blocked by the F.A.,even though the player fit within the guidelines they had previously used?  And wasn't there talk that someone at the FA was biased against us and deliberately tried to harm us in that way?

Makes me nervous.

What if the people deciding are unfit and improper?

7 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

So, don't I recall that we had a January transfer blocked by the F.A.,even though the player fit within the guidelines they had previously used?  And wasn't there talk that someone at the FA was biased against us and deliberately tried to harm us in that way?

Makes me nervous.

There should be a fit and proper test for the fit and proper testers 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There should be a fit and proper test for the fit and proper testers 

But who would carry out the fit and proper test for the people who conduct the fit and proper test for the people who carry out the fit and proper testers?

3 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

But who would carry out the fit and proper test for the people who conduct the fit and proper test for the people who carry out the fit and proper testers?

You and me, of course.  But you're on a trial basis.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Makes me nervous.

I think that goalkeeper got turned down because he didn't fulfil the requirements, there was no conspiracy.  There isn't with this either, it clearly doesn't happen overnight and we are still well within the usual timescale for these things, I wish people will chill out.  Hollis has offered the job to Di Matteo, it's a bank holiday weekend, there's still a week before the transfer window opens so we wouldn't have players coming or going until at least then anyway.

Pretty sure it was blocked by the UK Visas and Immigration department.

Pretty sure football work permits are handled by the FA.

Edit: Wasn't mocking you with the "pretty sure"! That's just how I speak too. [emoji17]

But yeah, I think the FA does them.

Wasn't there a rumour that the since-departed CEO of Sunderland is or was on the board that decides the quality of transfers, and turned it down.  The controversy at the time being that Sunderland and Villa were in a relegation battle and it was in her interests to prevent us from strengthening our squad.

• Like 2

Wasn't there a rumour that the since-departed CEO of Sunderland is or was on the board that decides the quality of transfers, and turned it down.  The controversy at the time being that Sunderland and Villa were in a relegation battle and it was in her interests to prevent us from strengthening our squad.

She was also the same woman that knew Adam Johnsons dealings with the girl and continued to employ him / play

• Like 1