The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I have to agree, I'm unclear why we need PL approval at all. I get that we're still technically in it, but surely a little common sense should prevail. 

Probably need PL approval as we will be receiving parachute payments from them. They will want to know where their money is going.

15 minutes ago, Tayls said:

What's QED?

Quod Erat Demonstrandum, which literally means 'which is the point that had to be proved', although normally it basically means 'I (think I)'ve just won the argument, so shut up'. 

29 minutes ago, limpid said:

You cut the pertinent part of what I said: "He's never been charged with anything let alone convicted. Fans at other clubs making allegations based on poor information does not affect his status in the slightest." Sating that he's been "of interest" is irrelevant. So little credence was behind these allegations that there hasn't been an investigation. I'm not saying that Samuelson is guilty or innocent, I'm saying that rumours about him will not be used to assess the takeover. Only the facts as pertains to the written list of tests.

Are you suggesting that the FL/PL are somehow better equipped to judge someone's guilt than the authorities whose job it is? The rules as listed by @Godders suggest otherwise. They list specific legal tests.

I just quoted the bit of whatever post I was replying to. My feeling is that it's not unreasonable to hope that the background checks done are rather deeper that the list Godders posted from wikipedia or wherever. The most recent takeover checking has taken about 6 to 8 weeks - that list could surely be done a lot quicker than that. Samuelson does seem, (libel filter on) to be worth looking at closely, though I agree with the implication that the football bods are maybe unlikely to get anywhere someone wouldn't want them to go as other authorities seem to have perhaps found things tough in the regard.

1 hour ago, Godders said:

Really? A quick search of the fit and proper person test for the PL (which is stricter than the football league), throws up the following criteria:

• Either directly or indirectly he is involved in or has any power to determine or influence the management or administration of another club or Football League club 
  • Either directly or indirectly he holds or acquires any Significant Interest in a club while he either directly or indirectly holds any interest in any class of shares of another club 
  • He becomes prohibited by law from being a director 
  • He is convicted on indictment of an offence set out in the Appendix 12 Schedule of Offences or he is convicted of a like offence by a competent court having jurisdiction outside England and Wales 
  • He makes an Individual Voluntary Arrangement or becomes the subject of an Interim Bankruptcy Restriction Order, a Bankruptcy Restriction Order or a Bankruptcy Order 
  • He is a director of a club which, while he has been a director of it, has suffered two or more unconnected events of insolvency 
  • He has been a director of two or more clubs or clubs each of which, while he has been a director of them, has suffered an Event of Insolvency.

Which of these will Samuelson fail?

I'm with @limpid on this one. Nothing in his past that has been divulged on here would seem to suggest he's going to fail the F&P test.

Those test apply only to the person under investigation for the fit and proper person test, the owner

I don't understand all this 'Aston Villa don't become a Championship club until June 8th', or whatever the date was, therefore both governing bodies have to do their owner checks.

Surely, as soon as the season finishes, we're a Championship team?

Why are we still considered a Premier League team?

I'd guess there's some technical registration date that needs to be completed, but why is it weeks after the season finishes?

The conspiracy theorist in me just thinks it's more bollocks from w*nkers who want to kick Villa while we're down :@

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

Those test apply only to the person under investigation for the fit and proper person test, the owner

All board members have to pass it as well I believe.

With Samuelson 2 thoughts occur:

1. Association means bugger all. Were the beach boys guilty of murder just because they associated with Charles Manson?

2. If Samuelson was an issue being a board member, then surely the logical thing would be crack on with everyone else and sort his bit out whilst you are running the club? There's no suggestion he is the money behind it nor behind other ones, he has been the middle man. Whilst I'm sure he would like to be part of the board he is not essential.

To be honest just think that they are just taking the normal time atm, nothing to panic about and should be done in the next week or so.

The playoff final has only just been done with the last football league game yesterday. Today is the first day when the actual leagues are all known so I expect that's why it's not official straight away. Hopefully Dr Xia flies in this week and it's a case of getting it signed off immediately. Get RDM in straight away if that's his choice and start moving forward. 

34 minutes ago, Richard said:

Directors as well I believe. Anyway, even if there was a separate directors test with different criteria to the owners test, my point still stands since a separate directors test would be less stringent than the owners test, not more. The leagues would not allow an owner who would be disqualified as a director.

Surely 2 test are better than one for the sake of Aston Villa Football Club, It wouldn't bother me if UEFA & FIFA wanted to do checks on top of every new ownership also.

19 minutes ago, limpid said:

Wouldn't the FIFA checks simply involve a bulging brown envelope?

UEFA already have a test. They'll be desperately writing new rules to make sure a Leicester can't happen to their Champions League again in future.

As in 'teams can only win the premier league if based in London or team name ends in 'chester'?

1 minute ago, 7392craig said:

As in 'teams can only win the premier league if based in London or team name ends in 'chester'?

"Teams can only play in the Champions League if they can prove at least four organisations faking their official shirts." I can't imagine any way that could be bypassed.

• Like 1

The ideal scenario for me, is that Dr Xia and his cronies fail the tests and then employ the most expensive lawyers in China to not only find out the exact reasons the PL & FL failed them, but then sue them for it (under some businessy right to trade rule thingy) once they prove their innocence on each of the failed criteria. Then we'll not only have a new owner, but we'll be able to give a big 'F**k you and back off!' to anyone who dares mess with us.

B)