The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

4 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

It's absolutely **** outrageous that Xia has to be declared fit and proper by two separate bodies because we've been relegated if that is the case as has been reported.

Pick one and go with it.

I have to agree, I'm unclear why we need PL approval at all. I get that we're still technically in it, but surely a little common sense should prevail. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I have to agree, I'm unclear why we need PL approval at all. I get that we're still technically in it, but surely a little common sense should prevail. 

It's because they know we're going to be back in it soon...:D

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Let's not forget, Chris Samuelson is involved, he will almost certainly raise eyebrows and require significant investigation.

Only from a premier league point of view and only if he is identified as a board member from the start

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Premier league is stricter on the aspect of identifying the directors involved with the club.

I've seen you mention this a few times... source?

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Only from a premier league point of view and only if he is identified as a board member from the start

He only raises eyebrows from a Premier League point of view?

What?

10 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

Is it normal for clubs to announce takeovers before the test has been passed?

Why didn't they just wait until it had all been sorted to announce it?!

Because then they wouldn't have sold as many season tickets :D

If they'd kept quiet about everything we'd be in a meltdown about how we weren't doing ANYTHING to prepare for next season. 

At least now it looks like there's a reason we aren't doing anything

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Let's not forget, Chris Samuelson is involved, he will almost certainly raise eyebrows and require significant investigation.

Based on what? He's never been charged with anything let alone convicted. Fans at other clubs making allegations based on poor information does not affect his status in the slightest.

• Like 1

The longer this takes to go through the less chance we have of coming up next season imo

I just think our preparation is going to be rushed and not good enough to sustain a title challenge

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, limpid said:

Based on what?

He's a person who has been of interest to tax authorities and other investigating bodies in the U.S and France. He is/was an associate of Boris Berezovsky. He runs or is involved with managing funds in tax havens, promising obscurity of assets and ownership etc.

Now all of that might be nothing illegal. Nevertheless the view that it would be prudent to look into these matters in some detail isn't unreasonable or one with no foundation - the football league and PL are not at all keen on obscuring genuine ownership, for example (c.f. Leeds). Why would Samuelson, who has a record of failed football club ownership takeover stuff need to be used by Xia if everything is all legit and open? It seems likely that probing of these things will need to be done.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

He's a person who has been of interest to tax authorities and other investigating bodies in the U.S and France. He is/was an associate of Boris Berezovsky. He runs or is involved with managing funds in tax havens, promising obscurity of assets and ownership etc.

Now all of that might be nothing illegal. Nevertheless the view that it would be prudent to look into these matters in some detail isn't unreasonable or one with no foundation - the football league and PL are not at all keen on obscuring genuine ownership, for example (c.f. Leeds). Why would Samuelson, who has a record of failed football club ownership takeover stuff need to be used by Xia if everything is all legit and open? It seems likely that probing of these things will need to be done.

QED

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

QED

Really? A quick search of the fit and proper person test for the PL (which is stricter than the football league), throws up the following criteria:

• Either directly or indirectly he is involved in or has any power to determine or influence the management or administration of another club or Football League club 
  • Either directly or indirectly he holds or acquires any Significant Interest in a club while he either directly or indirectly holds any interest in any class of shares of another club 
  • He becomes prohibited by law from being a director 
  • He is convicted on indictment of an offence set out in the Appendix 12 Schedule of Offences or he is convicted of a like offence by a competent court having jurisdiction outside England and Wales 
  • He makes an Individual Voluntary Arrangement or becomes the subject of an Interim Bankruptcy Restriction Order, a Bankruptcy Restriction Order or a Bankruptcy Order 
  • He is a director of a club which, while he has been a director of it, has suffered two or more unconnected events of insolvency 
  • He has been a director of two or more clubs or clubs each of which, while he has been a director of them, has suffered an Event of Insolvency.

Which of these will Samuelson fail?

I'm with @limpid on this one. Nothing in his past that has been divulged on here would seem to suggest he's going to fail the F&P test.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, blandy said:

You cut the pertinent part of what I said: "He's never been charged with anything let alone convicted. Fans at other clubs making allegations based on poor information does not affect his status in the slightest." Sating that he's been "of interest" is irrelevant. So little credence was behind these allegations that there hasn't been an investigation. I'm not saying that Samuelson is guilty or innocent, I'm saying that rumours about him will not be used to assess the takeover. Only the facts as pertains to the written list of tests.

Are you suggesting that the FL/PL are somehow better equipped to judge someone's guilt than the authorities whose job it is? The rules as listed by @Godders suggest otherwise. They list specific legal tests.

• Like 3