The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Has there been any mention of the debts we owe Lerner? the club's been sold for £65m-ish, how much do we still owe him?

Very likely that the price for the club included Lerner writing off the debt.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

I think the mood is best described as cautiously optimistic .

however it is typically villa that it is not clear cut

it would be typically villa not to have the best ownership China could offer 

just waiting to see how this unfolds in the next few months, starting with today .

As if we're somehow entitled to the best ownership China could offer. 

Hope the link works. Sounds like we are a couple of weeks away from a new manager.

Edited by limpid
fixed embed
  • Like 2

It's a real shame that the likes of King, Bernstein and Bevington aren't still here with Dr. Tony as the owner.

Regardless of owner, we need to avoid employing charlatans like Reilly and Fox again. Bring football men in who know what it takes to get Villa out of the championship. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm as pleased as punch that Lerner has gone. I suspect there must be more than just incompetence to this last sad few years and those bizarre postings on the official website.

'We want our Villa back. We want our Villa back.' Well, that didn't happen. It got sold to a guy we know next to nothing about that may or may not be ridiculously rich and may or may not be an arm of the Chinese state. Either directly, or in a more subtle indirect soft power way. But you don't get to be an international billionaire player based in China, if the Chinese state don't approve of you. I guess if we are morally ok with our underpants and phones coming from China, what's the difference. It's not that different to being owned by an american recluse that puts up a military general as a spokesman and only communicates when the pain killers have kicked in.

It might be a good thing or it might be a bad thing, we can't know. I'm more happy than worried right now, but I'm very aware that I personally didn't want to be a supporter of the next Man City or Chelsea. But I also accept that the days of the local owner, the holiday shop entrepreneur are long gone if you want your club live on Sky in HD. We've got non league for all that emotional nourishment stuff. Villa are the marketing and entertainments arm of...well, we don't really know what of yet do we.

So I'm chuffed, I'm at the party, but I'm at the back, cautious about the new guy in the waistcoat that may or may not be from Stark Industries and that we know nothing about. I'm really hoping this goes well, but I'm always careful what I wish for.

I'm not sure what to make of the new owner. However the sight of Chris Samuelson at B6 is alarming to say the least. He was part of that deal that almost bankrupted Reading with that Russian bloke and he has been the subject of multiple high profile money laundering investigations. And there was that incident with Everton when he was supposed to buy 29% of the club but the money never materialised or disappeared. Everything he is involved in is extremely shifty indeed.

Really excited by him. Seems to know the club, a little about the squad and a lot about the previous problems (communication). Especially if he moves his Family to the area!

Really hope this is the start of something good. Let the good times roll!

Would I be right in saying that those with non playing roles such as groundsmen, cleaners, tea ladys, shop assistants and so on are more likely to be retained now, rather than if Lerner kept the club. Some nasty rumours of 100+ layoffs being expected a few weeks back. Would be a great news story in terms of local employment if these folks are kept on too.