The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not condemning him, but I'm massively uncomfortable with this. I see our government closing down the British steel industry in the rush to suck up to a country that seems to be gearing up to control the world economy. Now I see the Chinese have decided to dominate world football. Well, fine, I lost interest in world football many years ago. The money aspect of the game, the Sky hegemony, ticket prices out of reach of the average punter, players' wages that are frankly disgusting, English clubs owned by Arab sheikhs and Russian oligarchs. It stinks. All I had was Aston Villa, Birmingham's proudest. I thought we were better than that. This is the club whose players refused to salute Hitler. We knew that the worst thing that could happen wasn't playing in the third division, it was losing the soul of the club. That process has sadly been accelerating since the birth of the Premier League. All I see on this thread is hysteria about money. Money, and shut your eyes to everything else. Rename Villa Park? Sure, think of the money. This used to be Aston Villa. Now it it seems it's just another PLC. I'm not celebrating this morning, I'm sad, very sad. I'm not saying I'm walking away from it all, I'll follow what happens with interest, and no doubt I'll be pleased if we can start winning games, but it's not MY Aston Villa any more. 

We are obsessed with money and we should be obsessed with mooney !

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not condemning him, but I'm massively uncomfortable with this. I see our government closing down the British steel industry in the rush to suck up to a country that seems to be gearing up to control the world economy. Now I see the Chinese have decided to dominate world football. Well, fine, I lost interest in world football many years ago. The money aspect of the game, the Sky hegemony, ticket prices out of reach of the average punter, players' wages that are frankly disgusting, English clubs owned by Arab sheikhs and Russian oligarchs. It stinks. All I had was Aston Villa, Birmingham's proudest. I thought we were better than that. This is the club whose players refused to salute Hitler. We knew that the worst thing that could happen wasn't playing in the third division, it was losing the soul of the club. That process has sadly been accelerating since the birth of the Premier League. All I see on this thread is hysteria about money. Money, and shut your eyes to everything else. Rename Villa Park? Sure, think of the money. This used to be Aston Villa. Now it it seems it's just another PLC. I'm not celebrating this morning, I'm sad, very sad. I'm not saying I'm walking away from it all, I'll follow what happens with interest, and no doubt I'll be pleased if we can start winning games, but it's not MY Aston Villa any more. 

Wow, for a long time I felt like I'd lost my aston villa...I didn't care about attending games anymore and if it weeren't for the group of pals I go with and enjoy the "day out" then I would have stopped renewing a long time ago.

If this sale adds a hint of interesting football to go along with my "day out" then it will be a blessing, but anything...just anything will be more or better than what we had

• Like 2

Lmao

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I bet you still got 70's wallpaper up in your house....eh,go on admit it?

Just now, AValon said:

I bet you still got 70's wallpaper up in your house....eh,go on admit it?

No. Lots of 60s & 70s music playing, though.

• Like 2

You can't condemn an entire nationality, certainly not one human being, because of the actions of the nation state they happen to have been born in. 

It's actually the kind of stance one would expect from a nationalist and I had you down as a liberal @mjmooney?

• Like 2

Times change, and money is the name of the game now. You either change with the times, or fade away into obscurity. If it's making you uncomfortable, then maybe following it shouldn't be on your agenda any more. 

I agree that it's absolutely sickening how much money players make these days, but that's just the way it is. At the end of the day it's football and thus not very important, so it's not worth stressing out over imo.

Anyway, maybe at least give Dr. Xia a little longer than 12 hours in the hot seat before being so reactionary. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Surely it doesnt matter the country of birth of the owner? Just happens that he comes from China.

I understand the point of the point; Its no argument that the whole game has changed for the worse, money does control everything now, but you have to move with the whole else you will simply fade and die.

However things can still be done which brings pride back, far more so now with the spotlight that money brings.  Randys greatest achievment was the year he put fingers up to the money train and enblazed the shirt with Acorns name. This bought so much exposure to where really needs the money that wouldnt have been possible back in the day.

There can be good that comes from this, I just hope for more things like this from our new owner!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Start by opening the Upper Trinity that would be a sign of ambition.

The Upper Trinity isn't closed. It's they don't want to have a few hundred ST's in there and have to open it if the attendance is going to be low. Until we as fans show we are going to attend in big numbers it's a correct decision. Hopefully when it's available for ST's those that sat up there get first refusal. It's better for us if we have 35000 crammed into the rest of the ground to create an atmosphere. If this bloke is the real deal I'm sure we'll pushing 40k for a lot of games. Let's see how it pans out. Some are already talking about ground expansion on th back of this!! 

• Like 1