The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

One of the few things on google I could find yesterday about Dr Tony was that he was accused by that Fang fella (this is a scientist who is on a bit of a crusade against plagiarism and fraud in the Chinese scientific community) of not being entirely truthful when it came to his achievements before Harvard appointed him as a professor.  This was in 2000 when he was 24, but it seems he stayed on at Harvard for a long while afterwards, so I guess not much came out of it.  Tbh if Xia had been hand picked at a young age by the Chinese govt as one of the people to send abroad, it doesn't surprise me if certain things were exaggerated.  What can't be denied is that he seems to be fronting an extremely wealthy and ambitious company with lots of exciting projects, and hopefully we will be one of them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

The nightmare (RL) is finally over.

Just that should be enough for anybody.  Gone form no hope, to an unknown - automatically an improvement in the short term.

The Chinese magnate who has agreed to buy English football club Aston Villa has said the final purchase price for the club would range between 75 million pounds and more than 100 million pounds, depending on how the club performs next season.

Recon Group chairman Xia Jiantong told Reuters that he will pay at the upper end of the price range if the club immediately returns to the English Premier League next season. A failure to gain promotion could see the purchase price as low as 75 million pounds, he said.

Xia said he will spend between 30 and 40 million pounds on new players for the upcoming season, and will announce a new club manager in the next two to three weeks. Aston Villa, the historic English club that was relegated from the English Premier League this season, was one of eight Premier League clubs that Xia considered for acquisition, he said during an interview in Beijing on Thursday.

Xia also said he was in talks with various soccer teams in Spain and Italy, as well as Chinaand India, for potential acquisitions within three years.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-england-avl-sale-recon-idUKKCN0YA0W5

• Like 1

A certain team playing in B6 look to become the second team in the city to be owned by a company based in the far east when it was announced today on their official website that they were to be bought by the Recon Group, with Dr Tony Xia Jiantong to be named as chairman. As I’ve got a bit of experience in dealing with Chinese stuff, I thought I’d take a closer look.

Erm… who?

res01_attpic_brief.jpg

Dr Tony Xia Jiantong

This is the man who is to be chairman over at B6. He’s not that old – he graduated from Harvard in 1998 allegedly as the youngest ever doctor of design. There’s some background info on him here (translated by Google).

Alas, his company Recon are a bit more secretive. There is no website for them apart from their “planning and design” subsidiary XWHO, and even looking through the Chinese version of Google using their Chinese name (联合睿恳) yields very little.

http://www.oftenpartisan.co.uk/archives/15414/another-chinese-takeaway.html

5 minutes ago, randy_69 said:

The Chinese magnate who has agreed to buy English football club Aston Villa has said the final purchase price for the club would range between 75 million pounds and more than 100 million pounds, depending on how the club performs next season.

Recon Group chairman Xia Jiantong told Reuters that he will pay at the upper end of the price range if the club immediately returns to the English Premier League next season. A failure to gain promotion could see the purchase price as low as 75 million pounds, he said.

Xia said he will spend between 30 and 40 million pounds on new players for the upcoming season, and will announce a new club manager in the next two to three weeks. Aston Villa, the historic English club that was relegated from the English Premier League this season, was one of eight Premier League clubs that Xia considered for acquisition, he said during an interview in Beijing on Thursday.

Xia also said he was in talks with various soccer teams in Spain and Italy, as well as Chinaand India, for potential acquisitions within three years.

So we have three years to make a big impression then? Any idea who the other 8 clubs are? I'm guessing Everton and Brom are in there?  

30-40 million spends  too? Happy days!

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

A certain team playing in B6 look to become the second team in the city to be owned by a company based in the far east when it was announced today on their official website that they were to be bought by the Recon Group, with Dr Tony Xia Jiantong to be named as chairman. As I’ve got a bit of experience in dealing with Chinese stuff, I thought I’d take a closer look.

Erm… who?

res01_attpic_brief.jpg

Dr Tony Xia Jiantong

This is the man who is to be chairman over at B6. He’s not that old – he graduated from Harvard in 1998 allegedly as the youngest ever doctor of design. There’s some background info on him here (translated by Google).

Alas, his company Recon are a bit more secretive. There is no website for them apart from their “planning and design” subsidiary XWHO, and even looking through the Chinese version of Google using their Chinese name (联合睿恳) yields very little.

http://www.oftenpartisan.co.uk/archives/15414/another-chinese-takeaway.html

You know that's a blues forum right?

I'll be waiting for word from the 'unbiased' media I think. 

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You know that's a blues forum right?

I'll be waiting for word from the 'unbiased' media I think. 

Yes - a Blues mate of mine linked me to it.  Said the guy is apparently "impartial" with his research stuff.  I thought it was interesting, in any case.

Regardless of what we think about those lot, they did get shafted via HK over something they thought would be good...

Edited by bobzy

30-40mill? if that's true that's not a bad budget for the championship, it looked like Di Matteo was all but signed, but maybe now with a bit more stability and possibly money a few other names might be interested, although saying that, reports of 10+mill required for the likes of McCormack (guaranteed goals in the championship, as much as i don't really like him haha) means only two or three "decent" signings in this market, i'd quite like Cook and Taylor from Leeds though :)

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yes - a Blues mate of mine linked me to it.  Said the guy is apparently "impartial" with his research stuff.  I thought it was interesting, in any case.

Regardless of what we think about those lot, they did get shafted via HK over something they thought would be good...

If he's genuinely impartial then he needs to check his writing style. He's only missing the word "vile". 

Yes, they are (rightly) very bitter about that. Hence the articles title "Chinese takeaway".

54 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Surely it doesnt matter the country of birth of the owner?

I agree, it doesn't. What might matter to some is who the person is, why he's buying the club, what the club will become, for whom the club will become and so on?

Some people may be cautious about the future especially under the ownership of someone about whom (or a company about which) we appear to know very little.

It doesn't mean that the departure of Lerner isn't welcomed or that things might not turn out okay but maybe we're not all unquestioningly ecstatic about the new owner and, perhaps, that's not a bad thing.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If he's genuinely impartial then he needs to check his writing style. He's only missing the word "vile". 

Yes, they are (rightly) very bitter about that. Hence the articles title "Chinese takeaway".

They spent all their dole money on that plane to fly over, of course they are bitter!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Impartial with his research, not about his views on our club ;)

Those that like money may be interested to know how other Chinese owners are doing things right now.

The owner of Guangzhou Evergrande the Evergrande Group bought them for £5 million 5 years ago when they were in the 2nd division, invested over £1 billion in two seasons. They got promoted, won the Super League, the Asian Champions League. 5 years on they have won 5 domestic titles and 2 Asian titles. 

SIPG who own Shanghai SIPG are on a similar course they are trying to buy the league. They are having to buy the league even more aggressively thanks to teams like Guangzhou Evergrande. That said it means they are signing players on £350,000 a week wages, they have the pick of anyone they like at this point with that kind of money on the table. 

Chances are Xia has similar plans he just may be a little more hamstrung by FFP so obviously no £1 billion spends in transfer windows, but it seems the President of China not only pays out big grants to companies buying up football teams but it's a way to get into his parliament which seems to grant them immunity from any wrongdoing if things go wrong while he's still in charge. There is a lot at play in China.. Xia likely has our best interests at heart, he's likely going to spend a lot of money so that our success is almost guaranteed but the end goal for Xia is likely greater business success and a closer relationship with the head honcho of China.